Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,083,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.
Anyone who is not directly from Africa is black. You can only hyphenate if you immigrated from another country. Maybe first generation descendents, but beyond that...no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,083,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Both sides of my family have been in this country since the 1700s so I consider myself and my lineage more American than the average white American since the majority of white Americans are 3rd or 4rth generation Americans when I am around 8th generation American.
With all due respect, why must you compare your heritage to that of whites? It's not a contest.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 PM

58,659 posts, read 26,945,161 times
Quote:
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.
Since the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People still use Colored to describe themselves, I think Colored is the best term.

Anything else might "offend" them.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,470,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Anyone who is not directly from Africa is black. You can only hyphenate if you immigrated from another country. Maybe first generation descendents, but beyond that...no.
So I guess that means Asian-Americans don't exist either, right?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:28 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,183,823 times
Quote:
For those living in America, I think the correct reference would be U.S. Citizen, or simply... American.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,546,978 times
The only accurate term is American.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,361,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
That doesn't even logically follow.
Actually it's accurate. Although to quantify it as many is disingenuous. For example mulattoes fleeing the Haitian Revolution brought their slaves to Louisiana.

Quote:
Toussaint L'Ouverture (1743-1803), a self-educated slave, took control of Saint-Domingue in 1801, sending more refugees to the Gulf Coast. Some exiles went directly to present-day Louisiana; others went to Cuba. Of those who went to Cuba, many came to New Orleans in the early 1800s after the Louisiana territory had been purchased by the United States (1803). This influx from Saint-Domingue and Cuba doubled New Orleans' 1791 population. Some refugees moved on to St. Martinville, Napoleonville, and Henderson, rural areas outside New Orleans. Others traveled further north along the Mississippi waterway.

In Louisiana, the term Creole came to represent children of black or racially mixed parents as well as children of French and Spanish descent with no racial mixing. Persons of French and Spanish descent in New Orleans and St. Louis began referring to themselves as Creoles after the Louisiana Purchase to set themselves apart from the Anglo-Americans who moved into the area. Today, the term Creole can be defined in a number of ways.

Louisiana historian Fred B. Kniffin, in Louisiana: Its Land and People, has asserted that the term Creole "has been loosely extended to include people of mixed blood, a dialect of French, a breed of ponies, a distinctive way of cooking, a type of house, and many other things. It is therefore no precise term and should not be defined as such."
[LEFT]
Read more: Creoles - History, The first creoles in america, Acculturation and assimilation, Traditions, customs, and beliefs Creoles - History, The first creoles in america, Acculturation and assimilation, Traditions, customs, and beliefs
[/LEFT]

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,502,611 times
both. who cares.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,891,128 times
What if you are white and from South Africa?
I guess that's racist

Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,461,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
neither is more accurate... use the term that the individual wants to be called by.
I use them interchangably. I've never caught grief for saying "black" or "African American" Black people are as diverse as whites, and I would just go by an individual's preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What if you are white and from South Africa?
Interesting point. I always forget those Afrikaners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies