Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Anyone who is not directly from Africa is black. You can only hyphenate if you immigrated from another country. Maybe first generation descendents, but beyond that...no.
So, you're not directly from Africa, are you?

Guess that makes you black then, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,295,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the above, especially the bolded area. But did want to add that anyone considered a "minority" is always dubbed as such with their nationality. Those with chinese/japanese/korean/vietnamese are typically called Asian Americans. Those with ties to Latin and Central America a typically called Hispanic Americans. The only group who does not have this association really are white Americans and that is not to say that many do not consider themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans because some do.

I do not call myself African American because I am not African. Both sides of my family have been in this country since the 1700s so I consider myself and my lineage more American than the average white American since the majority of white Americans are 3rd or 4rth generation Americans when I am around 8th generation American. Also, most black people have mixed ancestry as well. I have both native and European ancestry as well as African.

That said, people can call themselves whatever they want. I have no problem with black people calling themselves AAs. My husband does and it doesn't bother me. It doesn't really matter since we are all American anyway.
It's not about your nationality when people say African-American. It is a reference to your ethnicity, background, ancestry or even your culture (there are some people who either are closer to an African culture or who have studied African culture and implemented it in their household and life). I have mixed ancestry as well, but to me, ... I am a Black American or African-American. Like I said in my post above, people only tend to talk about these things in specific situations. So, if the need arises or someone asks, I can add or explain my other ancestry because it may be appropriate for the conversation. However, the truth is that I am predominantly of African ancestry, so that's what I choose to identify as.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Since the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People still use Colored to describe themselves, I think Colored is the best term.

Anything else might "offend" them.
Pfffft....please. I wish you would.

(around me i mean)

Old 08-06-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just wanted to ask OP:

Why is it important to distinguish which of us were slaves? Should we be identifying which of us descends from someone who owned slaves? Should we identify which Americans came here after 1900?

My family, both sides, came here prior to 1750. Should I be able to identify myself somehow (other than DAR membership, lol) as an "original American" since my ancestors fought (and some died) in the Revolutionary War?

Why isn't it enough that we are all simply - Americans?
I didn't understand the OP's slavery inquiry either. Not to pick on the OP, but I just didn't understand why that was relevant.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
For those living in America, I think the correct reference would be U.S. Citizen, or simply... American.
This is my point, quotes like this. If we did that then when and how do we refer to our ancestry, ethnicity? Is it wrong to do so? I don't think it is. Because some of you make it seem like it should never be uttered. That none of us should ever talk about our bloodlines or where our families have come from.

It's like overdoing it with the whole, "We are all one" thing. There's nothing wrong with showing awareness of one's background. I am an American, but if I want to be an American whose people came from Africa, Europe or Asia then I should be able to celebrate that.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What if you are white and from South Africa?
I guess that's racist
I really wouldn't see anything wrong with a White South African being referred to as an African-American. It's kinda weird for many in the U.S. to hear that, but I've met enough South Africans who are white that I have gotten used to knowing them as Africans. So, it's not the conventional usage, but it is definitely valid. It would be even more appropriate if someone was naturalized here in the U.S. but is from South Africa.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I remember during the '04 election there was a minor brouhaha when Kerry's wife referred to herself as an African-American. She was born in Mozambique or Angola don't remember which to Portuguese parents. Some black Americans evidently took offense to that.

As a first generation American with Ghanaian ancestry I've always thought it odd that Black Americans would refer themselves as African American. Growing up I distinctly recall most of my Black American peers wanting nothing to do with Africa and not knowing or caring much about Africa either way.
That's because most of those Black Americans were brainwashed into being ashamed of having any connection to Africa. They don't teach in the schools the beauties of Africa or show the beauty on television.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
This is my point, quotes like this. If we did that then when and how do we refer to our ancestry, ethnicity? Is it wrong to do so? I don't think it is. Because some of you make it seem like it should never be uttered. That none of us should ever talk about our bloodlines or where our families have come from.

It's like overdoing it with the whole, "We are all one" thing. There's nothing wrong with showing awareness of one's background. I am an American, but if I want to be an American whose people came from Africa, Europe or Asia then I should be able to celebrate that.
There is no sense in arguing this stuff. Bottom line for a lot of these people is that others can do it, but we can't. Italian American, Irish American, Hispanic American...you hear it all the time. Doesn't raise an eyebrow. But say African American, and they get all butthurt.

Doesn't matter what they call me so long as it's not derogatory. African American or Black American is all the same to me. African American is in the lexicon, and it's NEVER going anywhere which makes these folks angry for some reason. We chose it...that's the problem. As long as we refer to ourselves with a term of their choosing, it's all good.

Whatever. As long as they don't use n*gger or something along those lines, it's all good.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What if you are white and from South Africa?
I guess that's racist
It's a silly question. White South Africans didn't come to this country to be referred to as African Americans. That would imply some association with black folks, and they DAMN SURE don't want that.

Besides, it aint like this country is overflowing with Afrikaaners anyway. I sure as hell haven't met many.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,198,510 times
Not this discussion again. Don't some of you even attempt to search your question before posting?

What's really disheartening is that folks still don't know what the term AA means...It's obvious because they're using the same old tired logic.

I am black and AA...deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies