Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times

Advertisements

Lets go back to this fun site

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Now here's a challenge. Can you share the sacrifice? Can you create a compromise? Can you give up something you're in favor of? You can just about solve everything with either 100% cuts or taxes. Can you come up with something fair thats 50-50? How about 60-40? Eliminate the Bush era tax cuts, and cut equivelent in spending. New tax on millionaires, and a cut in military spending of equal

My bet is many of the partisan posters on this forum can't find something they can agree to. So why should we expect the idiots that we elected to be able to do the same. Especially when someone like Grover Norquist is out there with his ridiculous pledges. We still have time to compromise. The problem is that we're a nation of toddlers that won't be willing to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Last I recall though, most of the Republicans in congress are not willing to do any sort of compromise. Only cut, cut, cut.
Yep, that is what I want. I want cut, cut, cut... and more cuts. It is the responsible and logical thing to do. First you cut until your budget is lean and streamlined with only necessities. Then, if your income can't handle it, you seek other avenues of revenue be it working more jobs and selling off assets, etc...

You don't run to your boss and demand a pay raise because you overspent. That would be the actions of the irresponsible. The government can't tax its way out of this. It has to grow up and act responsible, but that is hard for some people to do when it is spending other peoples money.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I blame most of our failures on the people. They are the one's who vote straight party in the voting machine. Extreme left and extreme right. They are killing this nation, what's left of it. Everyone nowadays has to have it THEIR way or nothing. You can all see now clearly how that has worked.

I wonder how we dig ourselves out of this mess?
This author seems to think Baby Boomers are part of the problem.

End political gridlock: Put a Millennial in charge - CNN.com

Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:

Now here's a challenge. Can you share the sacrifice? Can you create a compromise? Can you give up something you're in favor of? You can just about solve everything with either 100% cuts or taxes. Can you come up with something fair thats 50-50? How about 60-40? Eliminate the Bush era tax cuts, and cut equivelent in spending. New tax on millionaires, and a cut in military spending of equal

My bet is many of the partisan posters on this forum can't find something they can agree to. So why should we expect the idiots that we elected to be able to do the same. Especially when someone like Grover Norquist is out there with his ridiculous pledges. We still have time to compromise. The problem is that we're a nation of toddlers that won't be willing to do so.
None of the suggestions you offered are a compromise. A compromise would be that of what to cut. If one side isn't even considering cuts, then they are wrong, period.

You want compromise, then we will put all of the government programs on the table and we will reduce them ALL, and then the compromise will be on which ones get to stay in existence. That is why I will compromise with, other than that, no way in hell.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

How about this for a compromise -- conservatives decide that TANF can be done away with, liberals want to expand it longer than the 5 years it now is and they compromise by cutting it back to a one year limit?

Or instead of eliminated 6 big federal departments they save 2 and eliminate 4?

The problem is, the debt is the problem. High taxes are problem, spending is a problem. You can't solve the debt problem by making it bigger yet, and you don't encourage productivity by destroying the productive sector, but a lot of spending obviously can go.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The credit rating dropped AFTER they compromised.
John Boehener

Quote:
I got 98% of what I wanted in this deal
That doesn't sound like a guy that did a lot of comprimsing.

He walked away from a $4 trillion dollar deficit reduction deal because of revenue increases. Despite the fact S&P stated in mid-July the United States would have to come up with at leat $4 trillion cuts to maintian its credit rating.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 PM

355 posts, read 209,523 times
What extreme left? Obama is more right than Nixon and there was not one measure that was passed to increase revenue. It was all cuts, which is hardly a balanced approached to restoring fiscal sanity.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
No matter what, Obama has sealed his fate for 2012. I bought into his banter. Shame on me. Now, if we could get rid of Mitch from KY.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I blame most of our failures on the people. They are the one's who vote straight party in the voting machine. Extreme left and extreme right. They are killing this nation, what's left of it. Everyone nowadays has to have it THEIR way or nothing. You can all see now clearly how that has worked.

I wonder how we dig ourselves out of this mess?

Rock, Paper, Scissors…

Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
I think this is debatable. As someone on the left I think tax rates should be on par with those of the Eisenhower era.

This is not realistic though. So I want some meager tax rate hikes (particularly on dividends, large bonuses and salaries in excess of 6 figures, estate tax over 250K). In return, I am willing to agree to cuts to discretionary spending, military SS, medicaid. Thats a compromise.

Last I recall though, most of the Republicans in congress are not willing to do any sort of compromise. Only cut, cut, cut.
It is because they have lost all desire to govern. It is pure hubris. It is about dissembling government and playing to their base. Most Americans don't agree, so we'll see how that works for them in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies