Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM

550 posts, read 602,203 times

Advertisements

If Newt had a legitimate chance of being the Republican candidate, he would have my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,398,881 times
I could see myself supporting Huntsman. Everything I've seen from him to date suggests that he's a reasonable man.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,160,473 times
Colin Powell but he's not running.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:19 AM

355 posts, read 208,915 times
I used to identify myself as a liberal and I am still am, but I am hesitant to call myself a liberal since Republicans polluted the words and Democrats allowed them. Additionally, I have become more free market oriented over the years. However, this was the original liberal position.

I love people like Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater. I also show great appreciation for Gary Johnson. If you are a liberal, then I cannot understand why you wouldn't show support for these individuals. Unfortunately, I have seen liberal bash these people without mercy while supporting regimes that are overwhelming less liberal than these politician's stances.

Seriously, how can you be liberal and be anti-Ron Paul at the same time? I have seen countless liberals deride the man. Heck, I have seen countless liberals deride Nader for letting Bush "win" the election.

As an outsider, I like liberals like Gravel, Eliot Spitzer(even with his baggage), Grayson, and Sanders.

Other than that, I really don't want to be associated with modern day liberals.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,599,285 times
I am not much of what qualifies as "liberal" as defined by the LimBeck machine. However, I still call myself that because I want to make it clear that I'm not what is passing as conservativie these days. I believe in science, expert opinion, an open, tolerant and multicultural society. I also support policies that promote working people -- in that, everyone who works whatever job full time can have a decent quality of life. If Ron Paul won the Republican nomination, I'd give him a chance -- more out of curiousity than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
I used to identify myself as a liberal and I am still am, but I am hesitant to call myself a liberal since Republicans polluted the words and Democrats allowed them. Additionally, I have become more free market oriented over the years. However, this was the original liberal position.

I love people like Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater. I also show great appreciation for Gary Johnson. If you are a liberal, then I cannot understand why you wouldn't show support for these individuals. Unfortunately, I have seen liberal bash these people without mercy while supporting regimes that are overwhelming less liberal than these politician's stances.

Seriously, how can you be liberal and be anti-Ron Paul at the same time? I have seen countless liberals deride the man. Heck, I have seen countless liberals deride Nader for letting Bush "win" the election.

As an outsider, I like liberals like Gravel, Eliot Spitzer(even with his baggage), Grayson, and Sanders.

Other than that, I really don't want to be associated with modern day liberals.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 AM

355 posts, read 208,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I am not much of what qualifies as "liberal" as defined by the LimBeck machine. However, I still call myself that because I want to make it clear that I'm not what is passing as conservativie these days. I believe in science, expert opinion, an open, tolerant and multicultural society. I also support policies that promote working people -- in that, everyone who works whatever job full time can have a decent quality of life. If Ron Paul won the Republican nomination, I'd give him a chance -- more out of curiousity than anything else.

What does science, expert opinion, or multiculturalism have to do with this?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,234,317 times
I am not a liberal since I am anti-authoritarian, but I do tend to sympathize with the left. That said, I would vote for Huntsman.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
What does science, expert opinion, or multiculturalism have to do with this?
I don't think these things are respected by so-called conservatives these days, so I call myself a liberal by default.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,321,560 times
Default Thumbs down on GOP

There is not one Conservative candidiate who I respect. Not one stood up against the horror that Bush's presidency represented. Not one complained about the rising deficit under Bush. Not one complained about military spending. Not one complained after it was realized that the President LIED to gain Congressional approval to go to war. Not one complained after it was discovered that Bush LIED about the management of the war in order to get reelected. Not one can step forward and say that the economic problems of today are the result of Bush's damage to the economy and current GOP involvement. Not one can stand up and say that the GOP denounces and rejects bigotry and racial insensitivity and actually mean it. So on and so forth. They're pathetic.

No, not one GOP candidate is worthy of my respect or support. President Obama far superior to any GOP "candidate." He just needs a Congress and Supreme Court that is worthy of him.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
There is not one Conservative candidiate who I respect. Not one stood up against the horror that Bush's presidency represented. Not one complained about the rising deficit under Bush. Not one complained about military spending. Not one complained after it was realized that the President LIED to gain Congressional approval to go to war. Not one complained after it was discovered that Bush LIED about the management of the war in order to get reelected. Not one can step forward and say that the economic problems of today are the result of Bush's damage to the economy and current GOP involvement. Not one can stand up and say that the GOP denounces and rejects bigotry and racial insensitivity and actually mean it. So on and so forth. They're pathetic.

No, not one GOP candidate is worthy of my respect or support. President Obama far superior to any GOP "candidate." He just needs a Congress and Supreme Court that is worthy of him.
If denouncing Bush's failed policies is what you're looking for, there's Ron Paul, is there not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies