Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,600,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Ron Paul is not telegenic and has no charisma. Politics is won or lost in the media these days. No chance.
I like watching debates with people who don't pay attention to politics at all. They're sometimes a pretty good measure of the bubblehead factor -- the pure charisma factor. I watched the Republican debates with my sister in law -- 23, totally apolitical. She liked Paul best of all... she said Romney looks like a president, but she went with "the old guy" because he was the only one who made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM

15 posts, read 9,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Ron Paul is not telegenic and has no charisma. Politics is won or lost in the media these days. No chance.
I guess it'll be four more years of Obama then if nobody cares about ideas. Ron Paul is all about ideas. Romney, who I like to describe as a polymer life form, certainly LOOKS good, doesn't he? So does Michelle "I spent 5 years prosecuting citizens for the IRS" Bachman. I believe that the more that people listen to Ron Paul the more charismatic he'll look to them.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,320,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipposelect View Post
I guess it'll be four more years of Obama then if nobody cares about ideas. Ron Paul is all about ideas. Romney, who I like to describe as a polymer life form, certainly LOOKS good, doesn't he? So does Michelle "I spent 5 years prosecuting citizens for the IRS" Bachman. I believe that the more that people listen to Ron Paul the more charismatic he'll look to them.
He can talk for a week - it won't change the fact that he's too old to be POTUS.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,329,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He can talk for a week - it won't change the fact that he's too old to be POTUS.
Is there anyone else that is similar to Ron Paul's outlooks?

Basically I'd vote for a Republican if he can rally his party to its senses and:

• stop catering to every whim of the ultra-right wing of the party (teabaggers) - there's 150 million voters in this country, and 85%+ of them totally disagree with the teabaggers, so why listen to them?
  • similarly 80%+ of the people disagree with the ultra left, so there's this GREAT BIG MIDDLE OF PEOPLE YOU CAN REASON WITH
  • Stop being so "all for one and one for all" ... seriously, you just look stupid each time you do that sh*t, and it's making politics even more polarized in this country
  • realize that with the aging population and wave of boomers about to enter retirement, the only mathematical way to regain our AAA debt rating and get below 20% debt to GDP, is to raise revenues (taxes)
  • realize that most Americans don't want a theocracy and therefore should not impose random moral codes against the people, and just stay out of social issues altogether or at worst make it a states' rights issue, so stop saying "God and Country"
  • The USA would probably do quite well internationally if it simply tried to work together with countries instead of the economic gunboat politics and empire-like mindset
  • The USA doesn't need a fighting force for 2.5 wars at all times. 1.5 sounds quite good. Why do we need 14 friggin aircraft carrier groups? Why do we need so many friggin troops? why do we need to hand out white collar welfare checks to huge corporations that produce vaporware? Cut the military budget by half. Soviets are gone! China ain't so stupid to follow that path either!
  • Invest the 1/2 the military budget to meaningful education reform and offer and promote trade schools for new workers ... can't enter the workforce without a good education these days, and certainly can't export as much
  • On that note, let's repeal NAFTA and China's MFN status of trade and others who manipulate their currency
  • Recognition that gays are humans too and deserve equal rights, in keeping with our nation not being a theocracy
If a Republican could say those things, I'd vote for him or her.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:35 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,878,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Liberals, if you were to vote for a Republican, which one would it be? I'm a liberal, but I would probably support Huckabee if he were running this year. I like that he raised taxes in Arkansas (not a tax idelogue extremist), and I like that the uber rich elements of the GOP don't like him. I have very little trust when it comes to the GOP -- he's one of the few guys in that party I trust.

Any other liberals have a "pet" conservative?
Paul, the rest are not worth even considering seriously.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies