Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,825,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's what a lot of folks don't understand....Europe is the Riot Continent. Always has been. And they can get quite violent too. They often riot over the stupidest sh*t, but that's their business, not mine.

I really don't understand why Americans care about this anyway. That's thousands of miles away, and has nothing to do with us.
Just goes to prove that when you outlaw handguns only the outlaws will have handguns.

The rioting by teens/young adults is happening all over the world including the USA this summer. Did you fail to notice the mobs in Milwakee, Miami, Chicago, etc...?

Why should we care? It is a reflection of a global society which minimizes respect for life and polite society. A reflection of a tipping point historically speaking. Every indication is that the road in front of us is going to be more volitile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,849,054 times
Quote:
I really don't understand why Americans care about this anyway. That's thousands of miles away, and has nothing to do with us.
Your general MO seems to be to simply not care about anything that doesn't directly affect you right now. In which case there's really no point in discussing politics, is there?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,059,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just goes to prove that when you outlaw handguns only the outlaws will have handguns.

The rioting by teens/young adults is happening all over the world including the USA this summer. Did you fail to notice the mobs in Milwakee, Miami, Chicago, etc...?
Europe doesn't want liberal handgun laws, and i can't say that i blame them. It's not our business to stick our noses in their legal system and to question their laws. They do what works for them (or doesn't work...their problem, not mine) and that's just fine with me.

And no, i've not been paying attention to the "mobs" in the places you named. I'll worry about those mobs if they come here to my corner of the world. I'm too busy enjoying life to seek out news that would do nothing but keep me p*ssed off perpetually. Life is waaaaay too short. That's your thing.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Your general MO seems to be to simply not care about anything that doesn't directly affect you right now. In which case there's really no point in discussing politics, is there?
American politics affect me. Riots in Britain don't.

That's just how i live my life. I don't bother you, and you damn sure had better not bother me. Live and let live. That's what being a free man and an American is all about.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,825,880 times
Quote:
Europe doesn't want liberal handgun laws, and i can't say that i blame them. It's not our business to stick our noses in their legal system and to question their laws. They do what works for them (or doesn't work...their problem, not mine) and that's just fine with me.

And no, i've not been paying attention to the "mobs" in the places you named. I'll worry about those mobs if they come here to my corner of the world. I'm too busy enjoying life to seek out news that would do nothing but keep me p*ssed off perpetually. Life is waaaaay too short. That's your thing.
Then we can count on you to keep your nose out of supporting any law that infringes in the wallet or upon the liberties of anyone else, right? That would mean not supporting liberals who seek to limit liberty here.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
American politics affect me. Riots in Britain don't.
You say the same thing about stuff in the US though. And there's not a clear line in the sand between national and international issues. Everything affects everybody, albeit to a lesser degree if it's overseas. You don't have to care - I'm just sayin.

Quote:
That's just how i live my life. I don't bother you, and you damn sure had better not bother me.
LOL. Relax dude.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Then we can count on you to keep your nose out of supporting any law that infringes in the wallet or upon the liberties of anyone else, right? That would mean not supporting liberals who seek to limit liberty here.
Limit liberty? You mean trying to stop gay people from getting married? Or stopping women from being able to have abortions? Or making drugs illegal when the government has NO RIGHT to tell people what they can or can't put in their bodies?

Liberty? You wanna go there? You wanna talk about wallets? Tell you what, when you can tell me why these lame ass conservatives in my town won't pass a tax increase to keep a middle school open, but have no problem with spending 2 billion a week in Afghanistan....get back to me!

Anything involving wallets comes out of my wallet too. I'm not a hypocrite. I'm not one of the 51% (or whatever) of Americans that pay no taxes. I write big checks every April, and i don't whine and complain about it like my conservative friends do. I like America, and i think i'm getting a pretty damn good deal for my tax money. So don't give me no lip about "wallets." Please...I PAY....HAPPILY!

Limit liberty? You've got the wrong guy. Better look in the mirror.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You say the same thing about stuff in the US though. And there's not a clear line in the sand between national and international issues. Everything affects everybody, albeit to a lesser degree if it's overseas. You don't have to care - I'm just sayin.

LOL. Relax dude.
Yea, some things in the U.S. aren't an issue for me either. If they pass a tax increase or have a strike in Washington state, why would i give a damn when i live in Arizona?

Look, there is a 24 hour news cycle, and i'm not about to drive myself crazy over something as trivial as a British riot. That has ZERO bearing on American life. There is enough tomfoolery and highjinx right here in this country for me to get excited about what others are doing.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yea, some things in the U.S. aren't an issue for me either. If they pass a tax increase or have a strike in Washington state, why would i give a damn when i live in Arizona?

Look, there is a 24 hour news cycle, and i'm not about to drive myself crazy over something as trivial as a British riot. That has ZERO bearing on American life. There is enough tomfoolery and highjinx right here in this country for me to get excited about what others are doing.
And on the same note it's perfectly reasonable to keep your eyes open. I'd rather be aware than not. Everything that happens has a bearing on life, and not just in America. It may be indirect or even negligible but it is there.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
And on the same note it's perfectly reasonable to keep your eyes open. I'd rather be aware than not. Everything that happens has a bearing on life, and not just in America. It may be indirect or even negligible but it is there.
Aware? Sure. Paranoid? Never. Some of you guys sound paranoid. I mean "multiculturalism?" Eh...that's ok, I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies