Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
My point still stands, your ancestors broke it, now you own it.

BTW I am NOT a bleeding heart in any shape or form really. But pretending that many of today's problems aren't burdened by history is just being conveniently ignorant.
Yeah so I guess that justifies burning down your own neighborhoods in a country where you have free health care and a plethora of welfare programs.

There are also white people doing this rioting, just so you know. What's their excuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
Quote:
lol they're already in a no-win situation...you would just have the privelege of joining them. Prior to mercantalism and globalization the West was a cesspool of drudgery and plague.

My point still stands, your ancestors broke it, now you own it.
How do you know *his* ancestors did....whatever? Really, how do you know? Or are is this some kind of collective racial guilt thing you are pushing?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You're cool.

ME? ME??? Who the **** did I rape?

Britain gives billions of dollars in welfare. They have free health care. If you live in Britain you have it better than 90% of the world. Take that crybaby BS somewhere else.
I'm a conservative (who is black btw)...trust me, I am AGAINST most handouts, or altealst the way in which they are administered.

"billions of pounds" is NOTHING, not even a fraction of their GDP. And it certainly isn't a fraction of what they have absorbed from the lands of these nations from where these people originated from. Say what you want, had the British stayed in Britain, you WOULD NOT have this problem today.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
link to back that up or you are lying.
Gladly. Are you going to apologize for calling me a liar now?
Universities 'must recruit poor students' to justify £9k fees - Telegraph

Quote:
According to the documents, Oxford is to increase the number of undergraduates from the most deprived postcodes by half within five years, from six per cent to nine per cent of the student body.

It will also boost representation from schools and colleges ranked among the bottom two-thirds nationally – ensuring they make up 25 per cent of students compared with the current rate of 21.5 per cent
Quote:
Other access agreements show:
• The London School of Economics intends to increase the proportion of students from low-performing state schools by more than half – from 257 to 400 by 2017;
• UCL wants to increase the proportion of places turned over to candidates from state schools by 10 per cent, on top of the 65 per cent of students already recruited from the state sector;
• Warwick is proposing a 32 per cent increase in students from the lowest socio-economic groups over 10 years – from 400 to 530;
• Bristol wants 40 per cent of students to come from “low performing schools”, compared with just 25 per cent at the moment;

Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
that born equal is crap.

the majority of people die in the social class they were born in.

if you were born into the elite you'll stay in the elite. born in the working middle class, you will stay in that class. born in the poor class, stay in the poor class.

very rare that you'll have someone make the jump in one lifetime. which is why i respect obama, even if i disagree with him.

he was born poor and ended up in the elite. thats a self made man, somebody i can respect.

he wasn't born with the silver spoon in his mouth. had to go out and get it done starting from the bottom.

i respect anybody who can make the jump, from poor to middle. middle to elite. odds are heavily stacked against you of ever doing that though.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM

230 posts, read 552,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
so they could get, a grip, if you think that being born in an area of deprivation doesn't decrease your chances of having a decent life, then you don't have a clue, obviously they are the few who will get to where they want to go, but most will be stuck in a rut for the rest of their lives, I am not condoning what these rioters are doing, they are going the completely wrong way about it, but I can sort of understand there anger at least, living in an area with no prospects and a feeling of hopelessness, it would get you down and not have a very good view of the world
So your upset and justifying the rioters actions based upon your disdain of the odds? Yeah, the odds of a middle American white male succeeding is higher than an inner city black youth. How you are connecting fault to anyone else but that inner city black kid's parents or themselves... You've lost me.

People wanted freedom from the rule of a King. They made a long and perilous journey across a raging see in a f-ing wooden boat. They landed with no food, water or a way to get either. They faced gruesome deaths and extreme dangers. Then they picked up arms and starting shooting their former countrymen in an attempt to assert their freedom and their next step for a better life.... So no, you won't get my heart fluttering about the difficulties of moving out of harlem.

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
this whole eye for an eye, sins of the fathers thing is pretty primitive thinking IMO

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm a conservative (who is black btw)...trust me, I am AGAINST most handouts, or altealst the way in which they are administered.

"billions of pounds" is NOTHING, not even a fraction of their GDP. And it certainly isn't a fraction of what they have absorbed from the lands of these nations from where these people originated from. Say what you want, had the British stayed in Britain, you WOULD NOT have this problem today.
These people are not the ones who were being killed and oppressed. They are the ones who LIVE in Britain, and collect benefits. You think they wouldn't be rioting if something bad hadn't happened before they were born? BS.

Again, if that's the case then why are white people participating?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
How do you know *his* ancestors did....whatever? Really, how do you know? Or are is this some kind of collective racial guilt thing you are pushing?
Hey for all we know, he could have been related royally to the people pushed those agendas forward. Either way, he is the beneficiary of those who made those choices for him in the past. And there's nothing to "push", the British are guilty.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

230 posts, read 552,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
that born equal is crap.

the majority of people die in the social class they were born in.

if you were born into the elite you'll stay in the elite. born in the working middle class, you will stay in that class. born in the poor class, stay in the poor class.

very rare that you'll have someone make the jump in one lifetime. which is why i respect obama, even if i disagree with him.

he was born poor and ended up in the elite. thats a self made man, somebody i can respect.

he wasn't born with the silver spoon in his mouth. had to go out and get it done starting from the bottom.

i respect anybody who can make the jump, from poor to middle. middle to elite. odds are heavily stacked against you of ever doing that though.
This applies to you too. Reposted for your convenience.

So your upset and justifying the rioters actions based upon your disdain of the odds? Yeah, the odds of a middle American white male succeeding is higher than an inner city black youth. How you are connecting fault to anyone else but that inner city black kid's parents or themselves... You've lost me.

People wanted freedom from the rule of a King. They made a long and perilous journey across a raging see in a f-ing wooden boat. They landed with no food, water or a way to get either. They faced gruesome deaths and extreme dangers. Then they picked up arms and starting shooting their former countrymen in an attempt to assert their freedom and their next step for a better life.... So no, you won't get my heart fluttering about the difficulties of moving out of harlem.

Last edited by CMK10; 08-09-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies