Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM

253 posts, read 201,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

1. the op did NOT mention egypy or lybia

2. the london riots are NOT over a police action, but over the FACT that the government is going on AUSTERITY and cutting back 'services'

3 the riots in greece, and london, wisconsin are ALL over FUNDING and SERVICES and CUTBACKS
LOL, ok. I live here. The protests in MADISON are over elminating collective bargaining rights for public workers. Roy did NOT mention the protests in Madison, what he mentioned were the mobs that happened at State Fair Park so you are incorrect w/that. And while roy did not bring up Egypt & Libya, since he mentioned Beck who was talking about rioting in other countries, I assumed he was speaking of riots for political purposes. And as someone else mentioned, the first I heard of the riots was over a police action, NOT cutbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
The shooting kicked it off, but from what I understand there have been cuts recently which is a big part of it.
They just threw in "cuts" for good measure.

The riots in L.A. started over the Rodney King verdict, but soon that took a different shape also, and they threw in "racial unrest - between koreans and blacks, and no job opportunities" as well.

Riots in London happened for one reason the cop murder, they just decided to throw in the bits about funding cuts.

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The radio interview is also at this link. They also go on to tell the BBC person that they hope the riots continue.

BBC News - London rioters: 'Showing the rich we do what we want'
"Two girls who took part in Monday night's riots in Croydon have boasted that they were showing police and "the rich" that "we can do what we want"."
Showing the rich by robbing the middle class. Geniuses, those two.

253 posts, read 201,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
It was social policy that led to it. When it became financially feasible for a women to have babies out of wedlock, you had a multi-generational situation of kids growing up without fathers.

Fathers are important. Without the guidance of good fathers, children, boys mainly, can become rather.......feral.
I see......so when a woman had a child 16-20 years ago, that led to the mobs, is that what you're saying? And if these kids parents are NOT on welfare, well then what? I know it's easy to automatically go to the "WELFARE LAZY!!!!" but did it occur to you that not every single black person who misbehaves is on welfare? I know, that's hard to believe. And what about if these kids have TWO parents, NOT just a single mom, then what? Your logic is false.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I heard the London riots were kicked off from the cops shooting a guy.

London riots - The Big Picture - Boston.com

I heard nothing about cutting funding for services being the reason for the riots in London.

Those bozos in Wisconsin are teens with nothing to do but make trouble and blame whitey for their problems because that's what they heard from their deadbeat parents at home.
You are making wild assumptions on a small bit of news.

Read up on what happened. That "local guy" happened to be a known drug dealer. Now it's spread to youth looting and burning stores for "free stuff".

BTW..the latest is that UK officials are asking Blackberry to suspend it's IM service in order to curtail the riots.

BBC News - Home
British police face public anger as riots rage - Yahoo! News
UK Riots Live Blog | Al Jazeera Blogs

Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
I heard the London riots were kicked off from the cops shooting a guy.

London riots - The Big Picture - Boston.com

I heard nothing about cutting funding for services being the reason for the riots in London.

Those bozos in Wisconsin are teens with nothing to do but make trouble and blame whitey for their problems because that's what they heard from their deadbeat parents at home.
The unrest began on Aug. 6 in the north London suburb of Tottenham, after a local black man, Mark Duggan, was shot and killed by police who stopped his car intending to make an arrest. The area has one of the biggest concentrations of proposed cutbacks.

Cameron's government has embarked on the biggest cuts to public spending, including welfare and on the police, since World War II to bring down the budget deficit, though most of these have yet to take effect.

Quote:
Those bozos in Wisconsin are teens with nothing to do but make trouble
nope it was union thugs at the state fair

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
You're actually being serious, aren't you? A. the protest that happened in Egypt, Libya, etc. are POLITICAL PROTESTS. As in, they want to oust the current government. B. the mob that happened at State Fair has NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS. What it DOES have to do with are a bunch of idiots w/nothing better to do w/their time & no proper upbringing. So tell me, how can you even possibly attempt to tie all of that in w/our elections today & the unions?
I thought I mentioned Wisconsin in that OP. I guess not but I think you failed to read all of it.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
They just threw in "cuts" for good measure.

The riots in L.A. started over the Rodney King verdict, but soon that took a different shape also, and they threw in "racial unrest - between koreans and blacks, and no job opportunities" as well.

Riots in London happened for one reason the cop murder, they just decided to throw in the bits about funding cuts.
But those cuts haven't been implemented yet and these are youth 15-21 rioting..not exactly the ones receiving the benefits.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But those cuts haven't been implemented yet and these are youth 15-21 rioting..not exactly the ones receiving the benefits.
Yeah it's over the police shooting. They threw in the part about "cuts for funding" to justify why they're raising hell.

Where's the parents? Maybe they're telling them to go out and burn and loot.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Seriously, Roy, you spend too much time pushing conservative agendas on this forum.
More than you do with left leaning ideology? Just more posts that don't agree with you and your buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies