Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,444,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
you are totally misinformed. The Soviet Union didn't even declare war on Japan until August 11th.
They invaded Manchuria on August 9th. I don't have the stats on how many losses they took, but I doubt it was zero.

ETA: Actually, I do.

9,726 KIA/MIA 24,425 WIA for Soviet Union, China, Mongolia
83,737 KIA for Japan, Manchukuo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_...n_of_Manchuria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,695,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
They invaded Manchuria on August 9th. I don't have the stats on how many losses they took, but I doubt it was zero.

Soviet invasion of Manchuria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yeah, nice try but machuria is not japan.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
So what? The statement you disputed was, a negotiated surrender in July would've saved Soviet lives. I demonstrated that that is indeed the case. Please state how that does not follow, if you can.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,628,504 times
Quote:

Soviet invasion of Manchuria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That has nothing to do with YOUR claim that Japan had already Surrendered in July and we somehow bombed them for spite.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
And it was the Kwang Tung Army, which often did things without asking Japan. If they had control of the Nuclear Detonation that Japan says it did off Wonsan it was putting nukes into the hands of an Army that did whatever it wanted.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with YOUR claim that Japan had already Surrendered in July and we somehow bombed them for spite.
That they offered a surrender in July is well-documented and well-known to anyone who bothers to find out. We refused to consider their offer. Call it spite or callousness or an attempt to intimidate Stalin or anything you want, but those are the facts.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,695,553 times
Quote:
That they offered a surrender in July is well-documented and well-known to anyone who bothers to find out. We refused to consider their offer. Call it spite or callousness or an attempt to intimidate Stalin or anything you want, but those are the facts.
yeah, they offered a surrender with conditions, but dont forget that they gave FDR an ultimatum at the same time pearl harbor was being bombed. do you really think we were going to settle for anything other than unconditional surrender?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
No they offered to negotiate a peace, we insisted on unconditional surrender. The Germans offered the same and we didn't accept theirs either

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
yeah, they offered a surrender with conditions, but dont forget that they gave FDR an ultimatum at the same time pearl harbor was being bombed. do you really think we were going to settle for anything other than unconditional surrender?
Quote:
No they offered to negotiate a peace, we insisted on unconditional surrender.
Then it's our responsibility (our leaders' responsibility) that the war continued, and that people on all sides continued to die even more senselessly than those who died before the offer was made.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,700,561 times
Quote:
Then it's our responsibility (our leaders' responsibility) that the war continued, and that people on all sides continued to die even more senselessly than those who died before the offer was made.
Translated:

Its the Allies responsibility that they sought a proper conclusion to the war rather than one that would leave Japan capable of regrouping and rearming. A war that Japan started on her own volition.

djacques- You are not making a damn bit of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies