Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,378,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Has anybody heard ANY Repub Politician or Mouthpiece, say we need a Congress willing to cooperate and come to terms with their differences, to solve our problems? I can't find one! On the other hand, I have heard several Dems say it. Maybe I missed some.
Bob, Boehner and McConnell were on board with the Gang of Six outline including revenue increases. Corporate jet owners and high marginal tax brackets ARE NOT part of thar framework. So who blew up bipartisanship and the centrist approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,610,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Forbes article nails the source of America's problem.

"Few Americans needed Standard & Poor to confirm the mismanagement of the United States government and its finances. The downgrading of American credit will raise interest rates on America’s huge debt and ultimately on all Americans. Popular polls say that most Americans blame Congress—but that’s too simplistic. As much as Barack Obama would like to shift that blame onto Congress, the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of President. It is first and foremost a leadership problem that is crippling America—and the leader is President Barack Obama—not the many members of Congress."

A Failed Presidency — The American Problem - Prosper Now - - Forbes
You can blame him only if he is a dictator.

He was "made to fail". Period

Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,291,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah because Democrats only know one way of raising revenues, which usually results in decreases. "TAX THE RICH".. Anything beyond that is simply outside their ability to comprehend.

Hell, Obamas own job "Czar" is moving jobs overseas, and you want to sit here blaming the GOP.. Give it a break.

The revenue increase he walked out on, reported, was ending oil subsidies for companies paying a 0% tax rate.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,108,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The revenue increase he walked out on, reported, was ending oil subsidies for companies paying a 0% tax rate.
That is not what I have read or heard from Cantor himself!

THAT IS PARTISAN BS. There were a long list of items on the table, but the bottom line was - Obama (once again) stated it was his way or the highway.

So Cantor took the highway. And I would have, too.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,845,924 times
Quote:
If you read the list of oil "subsidies", they werent subsidies at all, but business expenses. I would have left also if I was sitting in a room challenged with raising taxes, with a group of people who didnt know the difference between a subsidy, and a business cost.

Hint, one is income, the other one is an expense, they are OPPOSITES of one another

Last edited by pghquest; 08-07-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,291,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is not what I have read or heard from Cantor himself!

THAT IS PARTISAN BS. There were a long list of items on the table, but the bottom line was - Obama (once again) stated it was his way or the highway.

So Cantor took the highway. And I would have, too.
Cantor said he found untenable Democrats’ push for a variety of revenue increases to help reduce deficits.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Budget Talks Near Collapse as Cantor, Kyl Walk Out
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

Even if the Bush tax cuts where brought up later, he could have said "No on the tax cuts ending, but ok on ending subsidies"

Instead, he walked out. It was all spending cuts, or nothing.

Read the artile, Newsmax isn't exactly biased.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,845,924 times
Quote:
Cantor said he found untenable Democrats’ push for a variety of revenue increases to help reduce deficits.

Even if the Bush tax cuts where brought up later, he could have said "No on the tax cuts ending, but ok on ending subsidies"

I read the article, it focused primarily on exactly what I thought it would, that democrats sole proposal was "taxes on the rich", sorry but thats beyond laughable and does nothing but feel good legislation, with often times, opposite unintended consequences like reduced revenues.

Democrats show they only have ONE solution, tax increases on the wealthy.

btw, if the Obama presidency isnt such a failure, then why didnt ONE Democrat support his budget proposal? he couldnte ven get his own parties support, while you sit here and moan about the GOP.

Remember when Bush was President, and deficits skyrocketed during the Democratic Congress? Democrats said it was Bushs fault because he had the veto pen and he was in charge.

Now Democrats are suddenly playing stupid and claiming its the responsibility of the House, and Obama is just a victim.

The non stop partisan bs from the left is utterly astounding.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Obama was a fricking BULLY!!! He was not willing to discuss a damn thing so Cantor was wasting his time, plus was sitting there taking that kind of totally uncalled for bullying from the POTUS! I wouldn't have taken it! I wouldn't have wanted my son to take it! I wouldn't have wanted my Governor to take and I sure as hell don't think any member of the House or Senate ought to take that kind of treatment.

The reason this process didn't go well is b/c Obama is a BULLY.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,610,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Obama was a fricking BULLY!!! He was not willing to discuss a damn thing so Cantor was wasting his time, plus was sitting there taking that kind of totally uncalled for bullying from the POTUS! I wouldn't have taken it! I wouldn't have wanted my son to take it! I wouldn't have wanted my Governor to take and I sure as hell don't think any member of the House or Senate ought to take that kind of treatment.

The reason this process didn't go well is b/c Obama is a BULLY.
Isn't a bully one who publicly calls the highest official in the country a liar on Fox News?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Isn't a bully one who publicly calls the highest official in the country a liar on Fox News?
No. A bully is someone who uses his/her power (be it physical power or verbal power) to intimidate others.

Someone who calls the President a liar is giving his/her opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies