Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,263,579 times

Advertisements

For ANYONE to make any sort of judgement, based upon that article alone, are not only ignorant, but border line stupid. That article says absolutely nothing; zip, zilch, notta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:35 PM

709 posts, read 654,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
How about respect for citizens and calm negotiating skills. I believe mismanagement by "tough" law enforcement officials often needlessly escalate mundane situations to "life threatening". I truly believe training needs to be re-visited.

As a "big" guy I hope you use force judiciously, not maliciously.
Of course. I actually got out of law enforcement because I was sick of the way policing is done now in this country. I'm staunchly libertarian, and I could not personally reconcile locking people up for violating laws I vehemently disagreed with.

I also did not enjoy using force, and did it only when forced to. The major upside of being my size is I'm pretty damn intimidating, so most people never even tried fighting

Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,873,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Of course. I actually got out of law enforcement because I was sick of the way policing is done now in this country. I'm staunchly libertarian, and I could not personally reconcile locking people up for violating laws I wholeheartedly disagreed with.

I also did not enjoy using force, and did it only when forced to. The major upside of being my size is I'm pretty damn intimidating, so most people never even tried fighting

Too bad, it sounds like your exactly the type of police officer we do need today.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM

709 posts, read 654,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Yeah, calm negotiating skills always work with people under the influence.
True. Nearly every time I had to get physical with someone, it was someone drunk or on drugs.

They tend to think they are stronger than they are (sometimes true in the case of certain drugs), and have little or no fear.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,719,691 times
hmm, cops responding to a 911 call, and some teenager approaches the cops looking angry and agitated, and was ordered to back off. yeah sounds like disrespect for the cops rather than the other way around.

there are times i wont back cops, but this isnt one of them. the citizens of this country have lost all respect for law enforcement, and it started happening many years ago, in the late 50s actually, and has only gotten worse. i have met many cops across the country, and with a couple of exceptions, they have ALL been quite professional.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,498,494 times
Let us not forget that this was CAMPUS police. Not taking anything away from them but I don't know if they receive the same kind of training that municipal and state officers get.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:59 PM

954 posts, read 1,278,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Let us not forget that this was CAMPUS police. Not taking anything away from them but I don't know if they receive the same kind of training that municipal and state officers get.
In California, to be a police officer, you must be certified by the state. So all police receive the same initial training, what occurs after that is probably less predictable.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,402,058 times
Dumb me stupid question i know. I have a couple of stun guen with over million watts, are you going to tell me if i use it on someone, they run the risk of maybe dying. I did not think that stun guns could kill a person, keep them down, but not kill you am i stupid to think this way.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,873,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
hmm, cops responding to a 911 call, and some teenager approaches the cops looking angry and agitated, and was ordered to back off. yeah sounds like disrespect for the cops rather than the other way around.

there are times i wont back cops, but this isnt one of them. the citizens of this country have lost all respect for law enforcement, and it started happening many years ago, in the late 50s actually, and has only gotten worse. i have met many cops across the country, and with a couple of exceptions, they have ALL been quite professional.
Of course that would be your opinion.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,156,786 times
Not to be crude, An agitated student was told by a cop responding to a 911 call, to back off and didn't do so. I think restraint was shown, what did you want the cop to do, mace the kid and beat him with a nightstick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies