Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,873,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, the kid DID perform a criminal offense.

When a police officer orders you to back off and you don't, you are Hindering him in the performance of his duties.

To keep advancing, both angry and agitated, could be seen as "Assault on a police officer", had the teen come into contact with the officer, then you could add battery.

So, I have pointed out the 2 crimes that were committed.
Police powers have progressed to the point where they can harrass, intimidate, lie and assault citizens with impunity. This is a fact. Apologists for this behavior or even worse those who deny it exists are a huge part of the problem.

The kid is dead and the words we have left to know what happened are from those who killed him. Yes, the police absolutely have the ability to justify deadly force, my concern is these "charges" may be applied indiscriminately as you suggest rather than just in situations which warrant them.

As I stated earlier, there is too little information to really make a judgement about wrong or right in this incident, however, if this young man did not have drugs or alcohol in his system or a prior record it makes me wonder.

There was a time when we were upset, scared, angry or alarmed when we sought out police to 'help' us. Now if we are upset, scared, angry or alarmed we should avoid police for those very emotions may be used to justify the use of deadly force.

PS: I realize that in this specific incident the police did not intentionally use deadly force but I am speaking in the general not specific concerning police authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM

800 posts, read 778,300 times
So because the kid commited two crimes his death is deemed an acceptable result?

Seriously.

Use mace. Call for back up. Not hard.

Cops in college towns tend to have big egos and bully would be good word for them.

Luckily in Bloomington we have some reasonable ones but some are over the top

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,829,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
So because the kid commited two crimes his death is deemed an acceptable result?

Seriously.

Use mace. Call for back up. Not hard.

Cops in college towns tend to have big egos and bully would be good word for them.

Luckily in Bloomington we have some reasonable ones but some are over the top
You have no clue what you are talking about, seriously. Non-compliance is immediate cause for officers to use "less than lethal" compliance tools.

Were you there? Do you know if OC spray was indicated? What were the wind conditions? Do you know for a fact that OC spray would not have triggered an asthma attack in the non-compliant suspect or the officers? Do you even realize that OC spray does not work on everyone and leaves them "unimpressed"?

No, you haven't a clue. The young adult made bad decisions multiple times that played the major role in his fate. Stupid hurts and sometimes it kills. If the suspect/student had been compliant he'd be alive today. Put the blame for bad behavior where it belongs, on the individual causing the problems, not on the LE responding.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,699,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Police powers have progressed to the point where they can harrass, intimidate, lie and assault citizens with impunity. This is a fact. Apologists for this behavior or even worse those who deny it exists are a huge part of the problem.

The kid is dead and the words we have left to know what happened are from those who killed him. Yes, the police absolutely have the ability to justify deadly force, my concern is these "charges" may be applied indiscriminately as you suggest rather than just in situations which warrant them.

As I stated earlier, there is too little information to really make a judgement about wrong or right in this incident, however, if this young man did not have drugs or alcohol in his system or a prior record it makes me wonder.

There was a time when we were upset, scared, angry or alarmed when we sought out police to 'help' us. Now if we are upset, scared, angry or alarmed we should avoid police for those very emotions may be used to justify the use of deadly force.

PS: I realize that in this specific incident the police did not intentionally use deadly force but I am speaking in the general not specific concerning police authority.
first you state that the cop killed the kid, then you state that there is very little information to make a judgement. the reality here is that the kid was told to back off, and he didnt. and the cop then used a tool that has been shown to be effective against aggressive people to force compliance.

the kid has been shown to have committed two crimes, by darkatt, and again the kid was angry and aggressive. i would be willing to bet that if you were in the cops shoes you would have done THE EXACT SAME THING THE COP DID. remember the cop wants to go home when their shift is over, and not go to the hospital or the morgue because some kid got angry about the cop responding to a 911 call.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I miraculously manage to go about my daily business without getting zapped by the stun guns of these rogue poilce.
Agreed. How about you don't get all violent and up in a cop's face and it's amazing how often they WON'T taze you?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,690,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
The people on here claiming the kid deserved it are out of their mind, the cop should be fired.

Tasers are seriously an excuse for lazy police officers. Did the kid at the phillies game need to get tasered? The kid in Florida? This kid?

No there are other very effective and 100% non lethal methods of subduing someone. It's ridiculous people are defending the cop.

The overpolicing of college campuses and Greek Systems are causing MORE incidents rather than less.
So what should the cops do instead? You have a better idea? The angry teen already ignored verbal commands.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,568,173 times
Should have just popped a cap in him and planted a throw away.

Same as the stupid idiotic remarks that this dumb**** numbnuts was murdered.

Culling the gene pool for the positive.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about, seriously. Non-compliance is immediate cause for officers to use "less than lethal" compliance tools.

Were you there? Do you know if OC spray was indicated? What were the wind conditions? Do you know for a fact that OC spray would not have triggered an asthma attack in the non-compliant suspect or the officers? Do you even realize that OC spray does not work on everyone and leaves them "unimpressed"?

No, you haven't a clue. The young adult made bad decisions multiple times that played the major role in his fate. Stupid hurts and sometimes it kills. If the suspect/student had been compliant he'd be alive today. Put the blame for bad behavior where it belongs, on the individual causing the problems, not on the LE responding.

I live in Cincinnati. He went straight for the taser, did not try to use other methods.

He should of just called for back up. There's no excuse. It's just like the kid who got tased at the Phillies game just plain stupid.

Did you have any fun in college?

No matter what you do kids are going to drink, the police force needs to be educated on how to properly and rationally deal with drunk people without using methods that could possibly kill them

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,873,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

Let me qualify that impunity statement.
Often, but not always police act with impunity.
Occaisionally they are held accountable for their actions.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
So what should the cops do instead? You have a better idea? The angry teen already ignored verbal commands.

Get more police officers, at IU when something like this occurs there are 4+ cops they just take the kid down and haul him off. See it happen during football/tailgate season 3-4 times a weekend.

I'm not calling this a murder at all, just stupid and a gross misuse of force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies