Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,872,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I had a great time in college and didn't need to break the law to do it, not even as part of the "greek system". I was raised to have self-respect and respect for the law. Apparently YMMV.

Seriously, you need to stop posting in this thread as you just keep proving how little you know about LE training and use of force when dealing with a non-compliant suspect. It is embarrasing, really.

The suspect was given verbal orders and failed to comply with officer instructions. So, your claim of "straight for the Taser" is a lie in itself. Tasers have been in use for nearly a decade now and folks who refuse to comply know they are taking a real chance at "riding the lightning".

Would you rather the LEO and "back-up" have manhandled the suspect and give him an opportunity to disarm the officer and use his firearm against him? Given the tone of your posts and that of others I suspect the cop bashers might. You care more about a non-compliant suspect under the influence of chemicals then you respect that the officer has every right to use "less lethal" force so that he/she can return home to their family at the endo of the shift.

Right because drunk or stoned non-compliant suspects are always reasonable when negotiated with. Kind of like being ordered to comply and failure to do so.
You making assumptions that all incidents involve drunk or stoned non-compliant suspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You 'believe' that? Based on what? What the media told you?
Tazer 'victims' are lucky. You know you can buy a civilian one for your home?
I wouldn't even bother.
I believe it because this is one of many reported incidents where tazing has led to lethal consequences. and yes, I know this is anecdotal not empirical evidence which is why I state I believe this, not know it.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
You making assumptions that all incidents involve drunk or stoned non-compliant suspects.
you are right, she is making that assumption. the reality is that it doesnt matter if the non compliant suspect is drunk, on drugs, or just angry at the world, or the cops, or whoever. non compliance is non compliance, and unless it is brought under control it can escalate to the point the innocent bystanders can get caught up in the problem and get hurt. this is how riots start. some belligerent idiot deciding that they can do what ever they want regardless of the consequences.

well actions have consequences, and the kid pushed too far. had he backed off like the cop ordered, he would be alive today to complain about the cops actions. too many people dont look at what consequences might occur if they take a certain action until it is too late. perhaps others can learn from this kids actions, but i doubt it.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM

800 posts, read 778,127 times
Simply put college cops should not be using tasers...

For a non lethal weapon tasers have caused the deaths 340 people since 2001.

Death raises Taser safety questions | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Also in the article it states that there are a growing number of area police departments that have stopped using safety concerns.

In fact the company that makes Tasers, "Arizona-based Taser International, has warned law enforcement agencies to avoid stunning suspects in the upper chest", where I believe the kid was shot with the device.

In fact a jury last year found Taser partialy responsible in the death of a man to the tune of $10 Million.

In fact the Ohio Board of Crimianl Identification and Investigation is investigating the situation.

As I was saying there are other weapons that work better and are safer, such as mace, the mark 63 trident etc.

This a tragedy and could've been avoided. The UC police department is lucky this kid comes from a low income family, though the family has hired a lawyer. College cops should not be using tasers. End. Of. Story,

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,153,603 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I live in Cincinnati. He went straight for the taser, did not try to use other methods.

He should of just called for back up. There's no excuse. It's just like the kid who got tased at the Phillies game just plain stupid.

Did you have any fun in college?

No matter what you do kids are going to drink, the police force needs to be educated on how to properly and rationally deal with drunk people without using methods that could possibly kill them
Let me see if I have this straight? Angry kid, won't listen to Cop there on a 911 call, and you want the Cop to say, "Excuse me, let me put everything on hold, you stay over there, and let me call for backup so we can deal with you, and then help out however called 911. Seriously?

The Police do not need to learn how to deal with drunk people rationally, because drunks aren't rational. I think the Cop did the right think, and attempted to subdue someone who wasn't listening to him, so the man could do his job.

Had this kid even in whatever state he was in, had any respect for this police officer trying to do his job, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I believe it because this is one of many reported incidents where tazing has led to lethal consequences. and yes, I know this is anecdotal not empirical evidence which is why I state I believe this, not know it.
well here are a few stories to support you position;

TASER Danger? - CBS News

Three deaths in one weekend puts Taser use by cops in crosshairs - CSMonitor.com

Taser fatalities studied - The York Daily Record

however, considering how many times the taser is used compared to how many deaths have occurred, my opinion is that the weapon is reasonably safe. but what is a cop supposed to do before they use the taser on someone? take their medical history? you want to focus on the bad things in life, thats up to you, on the other hand there are a huge number of people who have used a taser, and have had a taser used on them, that are alive today when 50 years ago they would likely be DEAD!!!!. look at the numbers, since 2001 there have been only 357 taser related deaths. quite a small number indeed compared to how many times it is used.

do we eliminate the automobile because 50,000 people die each year in auto accidents? do we eliminate air craft because a few hundred die in plane crashes? in my opinon your rage is misdirected. if people had more respect for their fellow man, especially those just doing their jobs, then perhaps we wouldnt need weapons like the taser.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Default Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Based on what?

Is this a serious question? Do you know what a tazer is?
Yes, I know what it is, and I can buy one for personal use, it's considered NOn lethal Self protection.

I also have a 850K Volt stun weapon at home too.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Default Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Simply put college cops should not be using tasers...

For a non lethal weapon tasers have caused the deaths 340 people since 2001.

Death raises Taser safety questions | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Also in the article it states that there are a growing number of area police departments that have stopped using safety concerns.

In fact the company that makes Tasers, "Arizona-based Taser International, has warned law enforcement agencies to avoid stunning suspects in the upper chest", where I believe the kid was shot with the device.

In fact a jury last year found Taser partialy responsible in the death of a man to the tune of $10 Million.

In fact the Ohio Board of Crimianl Identification and Investigation is investigating the situation.

As I was saying there are other weapons that work better and are safer, such as mace, the mark 63 trident etc.

This a tragedy and could've been avoided. The UC police department is lucky this kid comes from a low income family, though the family has hired a lawyer. College cops should not be using tasers. End. Of. Story,
Ok, let's remove Tasers from all law enforcement, and let them utilize the PR24. I am all for it, break their arm, or jaw, or leg, and they won't be a problem.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are right, she is making that assumption. the reality is that it doesnt matter if the non compliant suspect is drunk, on drugs, or just angry at the world, or the cops, or whoever. non compliance is non compliance, and unless it is brought under control it can escalate to the point the innocent bystanders can get caught up in the problem and get hurt. this is how riots start. some belligerent idiot deciding that they can do what ever they want regardless of the consequences.

well actions have consequences, and the kid pushed too far. had he backed off like the cop ordered, he would be alive today to complain about the cops actions. too many people dont look at what consequences might occur if they take a certain action until it is too late. perhaps others can learn from this kids actions, but i doubt it.
And this uncompromising authoritarian attitude is why I consider you a thug. The term non-compliance is just a little too generic and open to interpretation for me to be comfortable with.

Again, yes, this is my opinion and you and others may have a different opinion. I believe police have a huge responsibility to and for the public trust. I believe many fail in this responsibility. I believe there is a culture within our society that agrees with a police state agenda and attempts to hide and cover up abuses by police.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,942,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Let me see if I have this straight? Angry kid, won't listen to Cop there on a 911 call, and you want the Cop to say, "Excuse me, let me put everything on hold, you stay over there, and let me call for backup so we can deal with you, and then help out however called 911. Seriously?

The Police do not need to learn how to deal with drunk people rationally, because drunks aren't rational. I think the Cop did the right think, and attempted to subdue someone who wasn't listening to him, so the man could do his job.

Had this kid even in whatever state he was in, had any respect for this police officer trying to do his job, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I have to agree with you. As a former DJ I've worked in bars, some college bars too. Drunk people tend not to use logic. I can tell you from experience. This really is an unfortunate thing, and I do agree that there are some bad cops out there which gives the others a bad name. But when they give an order, you follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies