Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The only excuse about not legalizing marijuana is that it employs millions in keeping people locked up and the enforcement of unenforceable laws.

So if you are ok with a police state, simply for the reason of keeping people employed, you have a argument. Of course I disagree with that perspective.

But there is no other good reason to keep it as a schedule 1 narcotic.

Totally agree!

Have they not learned from the days of Al Capone?
This is worse and on a global scale, if our government wants to fight it.
It was filling our jails back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 PM

995 posts, read 1,111,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago:

How come the small government deficit cutting Tea Party Republicans don't end the $45 billion War on Drugs?

There are still many many Drug Warriors out there who are against the decriminalization (not legalization) of drug use.
We're just talking about marijuana here. That's the only one I'd be in favor of legalizing...and taxing the hell out of.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM

345 posts, read 641,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How are you going to tax something that grows like weeds once established?

Everyone can and will grow their own if they chose that to be their vice.
Just like everyone who smokes cigarettes grows their own tobacco and everyone who drinks alcohol brews their own.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Just like everyone who smokes cigarettes grows their own tobacco and everyone who drinks alcohol brews their own.
Tobacco is considerably harder to grow then marijuana. And actually the home brewing world has exploded.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,575,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
We're just talking about marijuana here. That's the only one I'd be in favor of legalizing...and taxing the hell out of.
I support the the decriminalization of all drugs. This means ending penalties and jail time for drug users. I don't think we should legalize drugs though.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post

Laws prohibit growing tobacco. You have to be a selected and given permission by our government, who has always taxed tobacco in this nation. Even when it was under Kings rule.
So, over 400 years of seed and harvest management, the government has a handle on tobacco.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,901,370 times
I would think that legalization would create jobs. The farmers who grow illegally would still grow and there would be a market for more people in states other than CA to grow, set up stores, etc. Most private lawyers don't deal with simple possession cases. In most states, it can be either a petty offense (no lawyer required), person just pleads guilty on first appearance, or is a public defender case. Trafficking would still be illegal as it is for tobacco (without the proper permits) and alcohol (without the proper permits).

Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I would think that legalization would create jobs. The farmers who grow illegally would still grow and there would be a market for more people in states other than CA to grow, set up stores, etc. Most private lawyers don't deal with simple possession cases. In most states, it can be either a petty offense (no lawyer required), person just pleads guilty on first appearance, or is a public defender case. Trafficking would still be illegal as it is for tobacco (without the proper permits) and alcohol (without the proper permits).
Not really. Growing on massive scales, energy demands would drop alone. Machines replacing people, etc.

Legalization has been followed by decreased use almost everywhere. Demand falls, big farms take over, less jobs.

Not to mention the millions of less used for enforcement. Prison population would plummet.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,872,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Everyone who isn't a complete reactionary knows this, but no politician is willing to move on this, especially not now.
I believe the government will eventually legalize marijuana. At the local level, many states have made dramatic inroads in this direction and until very recently the Obama Administrations position was that the Fed had other more important things to be concerned with.

The Administration recently reversed itself and this summer aggressively started pursuing suppliers for Medicinal Marijuana Dispensaries. Their primary complaint? Private industry filling this market niche were making too much money.

Government does not have money other than that which they confiscate from their citizens. I think our government is trying to change that model
and "own" profitable ventures.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,696,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pretty sure that is what fuels this mess.

After prohibition was dropped, the cops didn't have much to do but harass the blacks, until the hippies come along. Then they were back in business.... Big business.
Marijuana is a jobs creator. Just think of the job losses if it were to be legalized.
A lot of lawyers would have to find a real job.

The job of the police is(should only be) to make sure we don't kill each other and to catch those that do kill and those that feel the need to take from another.

That is it! Not to save us from ourselves.

ya but on the other hand look how much new jobs it would create.. and as far as everyone turning into a farmer, i doubt it.!!! people that live in cities will buy the product,, and it will create direct revenue.. if you add up all the cost to the gov for fighting a hundred year war, it's asronomical.!!!! wasted law enforcement time, wasted court time wasted jail time, fighting wars you cant win is unprodutive for a economy,, not to mention all the crime it creates by keeping it illegal.. just look at mexico!!! there economy is growing faster than ours,>> the lions share of the drug money goes right back to mexico, it's time to reverse that trend and keep the money in the usa.. hypothetical>> lets just say that what you said in previous post was accurate,, that 90 percent of the pot smoking populus started growing their own pot??? if it was legalized all the money that they used to spend to buy expensive imported weed would be circulating throughout (our) economy,,!!! not mexico's economy!!!>> so no matter how you slice it ,,keeping it illegal is a lose lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, situation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies