Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,522,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Jerry Lewis doesn’t like reality television; that’s pretty much what we can take away from the interview the 85-year-old actor gave to the press at the Television Critics Association on Friday. Lewis’ opinion that television programming is going downhill isn’t new, but his wrath is now particularly focused on the evils of reality programming. Lewis didn’t pull any punches:
Jerry Lewis Rants Against Reality TV

I agree with him. "Entertainment" has been dumbed down to meet the needs and mental capacity of the public. It's just a telltale example of the bigger picture.
good post. satellite has too many channels, and trash reality tv has infiltrated most- movies w. decent actors, not "big brother"or whatever the hell it is are what most people want to see....;how much longer til they get rid of it??.....for real the viewership must be down on shows like Lifetimes: Beauty pageant Moms ( a 300 lb pig who judges 5 year olds and screams at them)

The fact that anderson cooper360 now even has a blip about "hollywood reality trash stars" is very sad.

Aldous Huxley was correct, corporate media wants everyone to just take their "Soma"/halcion...and watch reality trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,034,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
good post. satellite has too many channels, and trash reality tv has infiltrated most- movies w. decent actors, not "big brother"or whatever the hell it is are what most people want to see....;how much longer til they get rid of it??.....for real the viewership must be down on shows like Lifetimes: Beauty pageant Moms ( a 300 lb pig who judges 5 year olds and screams at them)

The fact that anderson cooper360 now even has a blip about "hollywood reality trash stars" is very sad.

Aldous Huxley was correct, corporate media wants everyone to just take their "Soma"/halcion...and watch reality trash
I'd love to get rid of cable, but my POS landlord will not allow a choice or any type of antenna as he most likely has a deal with the cable company.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM

737 posts, read 1,144,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, but there are tons of smart, clever films that do well today. Crappy box office action flix will always do well, it's just fun.

However, if you want to present a list of the top grossing films of past eras vs. todays go for it.
You can't compare by gross. Some people only paid 10 to 25 cents to see some classics. A million dollar gross was great in those days.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,214,643 times
Quote:
As for the reality shows, the remote control cannot keep with the speed of my fingers to skip the channel quickly enough.
Amen! And the mute button stays on until I can find a QUALITY program to watch on Discovery, PBS, the History Channel, or Turner Classic Movies.

You would have to tie me to a chair, tape my eyelids open, put a GAG in my mouth so I couldn't chant LALALALALA over the dialog, and tase me, bro! before I would watch a second of something called "Desperate Housewives" or its cretinous ilk.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,035,706 times
Quote:
I'd love to get rid of cable, but my POS landlord will not allow a choice or any type of antenna as he most likely has a deal with the cable company.
ROKU. My brother has it and LOVES it. He keeps basic cable for local news etc., and he kept the internet. He's not allowed to have an antenna either, but for someone who can, the basic cable can be dropped as well, just keep the internet. Big money savings (though you can buy add-ons like Netflix), far better program choices, no commercials.

When my cable contract runs out I'm going to get ROKU.

Example customer comment:

Quote:
Comments about Roku HD Player:

We have got rid of cable. I hope millions more do. With all their price hikes and unexplained fees. This is the new way to go. My kids love it. Netflix and Hulu rock. Don't forget Crackle either. Tons of news weather for anywhere. More control over what the kids watch. I pay $16 a month for Hulu and Netflix. That is it. I was paying $115+ a month for cable. You don't really need internet that is any faster than what most people have unless you have a lot of boxes and a lot of computers running. Besides it cheaper to pay for fast internet than cable TV. I save a hundred a month and watch what I want when I want. No recording. Can't wait to see new content.

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Roku Player Product Reviews | Roku Customer Reviews and Ratings

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM

45,022 posts, read 26,176,076 times
Pipe down Jerry, they love reality TV in France.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,845,140 times
Reality TV is a cancer on society.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 6,770,093 times
OK but is it any worse than Leave it to Beaver or Bevis and Butthead ?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,119,987 times
Jerry was right.

Also, 9 million plus tuned into to the new Jersey Shore this past week. I'll never understand why.... Half the people in this country are just plain dumb and have the worst priorities and values.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,034,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
ROKU. My brother has it and LOVES it. He keeps basic cable for local news etc., and he kept the internet. He's not allowed to have an antenna either, but for someone who can, the basic cable can be dropped as well, just keep the internet. Big money savings (though you can buy add-ons like Netflix), far better program choices, no commercials.

When my cable contract runs out I'm going to get ROKU.

Example customer comment:
Thank you...I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies