Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,899,012 times

Advertisements

My only question is why in the hell did Nevada prisoners have Playstations to begin with? I thought the purpose of prison was to punish criminals. Instead of giving them playstations, why not give them books and let them learn how to read? There are many families out here that cannot afford Playstations for their kids and they have broken no laws. No wonder we have a crime problem here. When I saw this on the news, I was quite unhappy. Makes me wonder what else is being handed out in there.
Nevada State Prison revokes Playstations from prisoners - www.ktnv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,111,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
My only question is why in the hell did Nevada prisoners have Playstations to begin with? I thought the purpose of prison was to punish criminals. Instead of giving them playstations, why not give them books and let them learn how to read? There are many families out here that cannot afford Playstations for their kids and they have broken no laws. No wonder we have a crime problem here. When I saw this on the news, I was quite unhappy. Makes me wonder what else is being handed out in there.
Nevada State Prison revokes Playstations from prisoners - www.ktnv.com
Why would you get upset when the Playstations are being taken away?

No one gave them a playstation. They were allowed to possess them but only if they bought their own. It was considered a recreation thing.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:49 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,951,328 times
Reading the article, I don't think they were given the Playstations -- they bought them using money they make doing prison jobs (or given to them by friends/relatives).

Either way, gaming shouldn't be allowed. I agree -- give them books, non-fiction only. Reduce sentences (or at least give prison perks) for completing the GED or college coursework.

Letting them play "Grand Theft Auto" doesn't help rehabilitation...

Old 08-07-2011, 01:49 PM

719 posts, read 1,477,909 times
If you knew about what REALLY goes on in prisons, you would know they are not the "country club" many believe them to be. (With the exception of federal camps). The food is horrible, medical care is very difficult to obtain, etc etc. Not that they deserve better. They are after all in prison, however, trust me, prisons are NOT vacation hotels. They are dangerous, loud, scary, stripped of all comforts. If they had playstations it is because their FAMILIES spent the money to get them. And they are not allowed to buy them at regular stores, they must buy them from prison approved commissary suppliers at about a 200 percent mark up. Most prisons don't allow such things even if families buy them. Some prisons do allow televisions if the family buys them and pays the mark up for them. MOST prisons allow three prison issued outfits. Five or six pair of boxers, same number of sock pairs, perhaps a jacket if the prison is in a snow area, a few books a few photographs, some pencils and pens, paper and envelopes and stamps. And that is about it. Unless you personally know someone who has been in prison, and ASKED them what the accommodations were like, you have no true idea about the situation. I work with felons and prisoners in a program that gets them ready for release. I have spent enough time inside the walls teaching the classes that I AM aware and believe me... prison is a true punishment. Deserved, yes, but is in fact a serious punishment.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,899,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
If you knew about what REALLY goes on in prisons, you would know they are not the "country club" many believe them to be. (With the exception of federal camps). The food is horrible, medical care is very difficult to obtain, etc etc. Not that they deserve better. They are after all in prison, however, trust me, prisons are NOT vacation hotels. They are dangerous, loud, scary, stripped of all comforts. If they had playstations it is because their FAMILIES spent the money to get them. And they are not allowed to buy them at regular stores, they must buy them from prison approved commissary suppliers at about a 200 percent mark up. Most prisons don't allow such things even if families buy them. Some prisons do allow televisions if the family buys them and pays the mark up for them. MOST prisons allow three prison issued outfits. Five or six pair of boxers, same number of sock pairs, perhaps a jacket if the prison is in a snow area, a few books a few photographs, some pencils and pens, paper and envelopes and stamps. And that is about it. Unless you personally know someone who has been in prison, and ASKED them what the accommodations were like, you have no true idea about the situation. I work with felons and prisoners in a program that gets them ready for release. I have spent enough time inside the walls teaching the classes that I AM aware and believe me... prison is a true punishment. Deserved, yes, but is in fact a serious punishment.
I don't have a problem with them having some things. A small TV and BASIC cable that they can only watch in the evening or weekends is fine as are other non luxury items. But things like gaming consoles, cell phones and computers are a no go for me.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:05 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,951,328 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with them having some things. A small TV and BASIC cable that they can only watch in the evening or weekends is fine as are other non luxury items. But things like gaming consoles, cell phones and computers are a no go for me.
You're a lot more lenient than I am. I say no TV, no cable. There should be no entertainment in prison. Prisoners should either make something of themselves or rot behind bars. Sitting in front of the tube watching "Spongebob" doesn't repay their debt to society.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM

719 posts, read 1,477,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You're a lot more lenient than I am. I say no TV, no cable. There should be no entertainment in prison. Prisoners should either make something of themselves or rot behind bars. Sitting in front of the tube watching "Spongebob" doesn't repay their debt to society.
Do you know anyone at all who has been to prison? If so, ask them what it is like. They have classes to teach them a trade, however, it can take years to get into one. They have GED school, but it can take years to get into it. They have opportunities. However, let me tell you how it works. It is violent. You have NON-violent offenders, perhaps wrote a large bad check, sitting in prison with violent offenders...you know, the ones doing 50 plus years and nothing left to lose. If you remove all radio, etc from them... the non-violent offenders are going to get killed because the violent offenders have little to no conscience and will hurt them out of boredom. Not to mention, cruel and inhumane treatment is still against the rules, if I remember correctly.
Prison is meant to segregate inmates from society. It does that. It is supposed to work on rehabilitation... some of them make an attempt to do that. They are supposed to ready inmates to be productive members of society.... some do try others don't.
When all is said and done.... no offense intended, but there by the grace of God go you and everyone you know... and you have no idea what actually goes on in prisons, because anyone who has an actual working knowledge knows better than what you believe.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM

932 posts, read 2,340,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Sitting in front of the tube watching "Spongebob" doesn't repay their debt to society.
On the other hand, making them watch "Spongebob" seems a reasonable form of punishment to me.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 PM

968 posts, read 2,058,474 times
Quote:
Prison is losing your freedom for a crime against society. I suppose that should include recreational activities. However, when you enclose a large number of malcontents who have a predilection for violence you have a powder keg. Physical activity as well as game systems are diversions and reduce threats especially to the guards.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,802,044 times
Might make them easier to take care of. This will keep their minds distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies