Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM

77,810 posts, read 59,974,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Why are Republicans, Tea Partiers, and their supporters so hellbent on replacing full-time good paying jobs with benefits with minimum-wage mcjobs... many of which are not full time?
Why don't we just give every unemployed person a good paying government job?

Oh wait, I think Moody's would have something to say about that.

Have you been asleep this whole time about what happens when your private sector jobs base can't support your costs of government?

P.S. It's nice to see all the group amnesia about NAFTA from the far left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM

638 posts, read 927,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I never stated the underlined part where you are attempting to dishonestly portray my position.

In fact, my entire line of reasoning was directed at people needing to be issues voters and not just kowtow to the party line. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Clinton signed NAFTA, he could have vetoed it but didn't despite massive union opposition. The unions still supported Clinton (and his wife in 08' to some extent) despite this betrayal.

You've tried your hardest to try to make this giant kick in the union balls a republican thing when it was really pretty bi-partisan.

In fact, if you look at what is going on just south of the WI border....Rahm Emanuel is busting hard on the public unions to balance budgets. But hey, somehow that must be the republicans at it again right?

P.S. Your constant attempts to try to absolve Clinton etc. of any involvement in NAFTA aren't helping your case, they smack of the same sort of chicanery as the jobs growth stats used in this thread.
Absolve? Who absolved the dems of anything? Did you see my post at the top of page six or do you have reading comprehension problems???? I think it might be a combo of the two, but moving on. I place blame on both parties. Your initial post queried how was NAFTA treating an individual poster from Detroit under Clinton. Your post smacked of blame only for Clinton when in fact it was pushed along by both parties. I see that you have further stated your opinion however your initial statement spoke of only blame for the dems mainly Clinton. I don’t drink the cool aid. I’m independent and proud of it. Both parties have screwed the average American and continue to do so…..

Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,406,560 times
Quote:

Have you been asleep this whole time about what happens when your private sector jobs base can't support your costs of government?

Excuse me, but I have not and never will support NAFTA, Chinese Trade Agreements, or any other Free Trade Agreements.

...and your initial point is off base. How about instead we close all of our trade agreements except with Canada, raise tariffs on imported goods by American and multinational corporations from China and Third-World Nations to the point that it costs more for those goods to be produced over there than in the US, and create a tax structure that is actually sane and favors small and regional businesses as well as consumers?

Woo!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Excuse me, but I have not and never will support NAFTA, Chinese Trade Agreements, or any other Free Trade Agreements.

...and your initial point is off base. How about instead we close all of our trade agreements except with Canada, raise tariffs on imported goods by American and multinational corporations from China and Third-World Nations to the point that it costs more for those goods to be produced over there than in the US, and create a tax structure that is actually sane and favors small and regional businesses as well as consumers?

Woo!
But whom did you blame for the good paying jobs disappearing?

My point is that people that do not hold thier own parties actions accountable and blindly vote party lines are as much to blame as the ones that actively supported initiatives like NAFTA.

P.S. If we were just able to enforce patent and copywright laws we'd be doing a lot better. However that was a major problem here in the USA 100+ years ago.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Absolve? Who absolved the dems of anything? Did you see my post at the top of page six or do you have reading comprehension problems???? I think it might be a combo of the two, but moving on. I place blame on both parties. Your initial post queried how was NAFTA treating an individual poster from Detroit under Clinton. Your post smacked of blame only for Clinton when in fact it was pushed along by both parties. I see that you have further stated your opinion however your initial statement spoke of only blame for the dems mainly Clinton. I don’t drink the cool aid. I’m independent and proud of it. Both parties have screwed the average American and continue to do so…..
Go back to what the person from Detroit wrote that prompted my response.

People were already talking about the Republicans and NAFTA so my comments were an addendum to help them and others with their amnesia.

At this point it seems we agree and are merely arguing over the inherent difficulty of hastily written communication. All the best.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,625,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Interesting. Trading government jobs for hospitality jobs. I would like to see these numbers in December.
On behalf of the deep south, I'd like to say to Wisconsin: Welcome to the club!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,792,613 times
Quote:

Are talking about the NAFTA plan initiated by Bush I and passed by the Republicans in Congress? Is that the amnesia in the far left you refer to?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,792,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
June netted 9,500 new jobs; more than half of the entire nations 18,000 net new jobs created in the same time period!

Way to go Wisconsin!!! Guess who's doing something right and creating a business friendly environment...

"Since January, our new Governor and new legislative majorities have focused on creating a positive economic climate so that job creators in our state and throughout the nation will again see Wisconsin as a place to expand their businesses and bring family supporting jobs. Wisconsin has been a national leader in enacting policies to help job creators grow, and employers have taken notice. From lawsuit reforms to regulatory reforms, and of course balancing a $3.6 billion deficit while holding the line on taxes, our state is truly moving in the right direction. It is good to see those efforts translating to real jobs."

E-Update: Wisconsin's Job Creation Outpaces Nation (http://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/zipperer/PressReleases/Pages/E-Update-Wisconsin%27s-Job-Creation-Outpaces-Nation.aspx - broken link)

Strong work Governor Scott Walker!!!
Strong? Since taking office UE rate has gone from 7.4% to 7.6% it was falling, until Walker got into office.

Wisconsin Unemployment Rate Chart and Data

Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,393,505 times
It was an interesting budget for sure. He would have more credibility, IMHO, if he didn't exempt the police and firemen's unions from the same thrashing as other unions. But I guess you can't get rid of a primary force in re-election quite yet?

Wisconsin Budget: Governor Scott Walker signs balanced budget - WITI (http://www.fox6now.com/news/politics/witi-20110626-budget-walker-signed,0,4709635.story - broken link)

The interesting part of the pension discussions in Wisconsin, is that they had one of the healthiest pensions in the nation.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,815,927 times
Well, look at this;

Sky isn't falling - JSOnline

Quote:
So it turns out that the sky isn't going to fall on all local governments in Wisconsin. The numbers now starting to come in show that Gov. Scott Walker's "tools" for local governments apparently will help at least some of them deal with cuts in state aid imposed by the state budget.

That's contrary to the expectation and the rhetoric of critics in the spring, and it's to Walker's credit.
So the Left/unions/dems were lying? NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies