Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,720,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well I know you liberals are always complaining Republicans could care less about pollution so how about we start with the Clean Air Act Amendment in 1990 which was the most most profound piece of environmental legislation ever enacted. The basis for this was proposals from then President Bush, the first one of course. arggggggggggggggghg I said Bush.

President Bush signing the Clean Air Act Amendments
of 1990. Standing left to right are EPA Administrator
William K. Reilly, Energy Secretary James Watkins,
and Vice President Dan Quayle.
I would add the Bush I also had the sense to listen to Colin Powell. He showed restraint and good judgment in Iraq in the first Gulf War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Fiddlehead, you have come across the source of the great ideological divide between conservatives and liberals. The great contributions of Republicans revolve around turning loose the power of a free people making their own decisions, building their own futures, taking control of their own destinies. These things do not involve erecting new government structures or programs. So you won't get a long list to your query.

A friend of mine says that Gerald Ford was our greatest president. "Why?" I asked him. The reply? "Because he didn't do ANYTHING." Gerald Ford noted that the government that is big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you everything you have.

Ronald Reagan, who spread an optimistic philosophy based on individual freedom, certainly ranks as a high point of the last 30 years.

The 2010 Republican class, although aspects of their program are not optimal for the country, is accomplishing what it was sent to do: stop the damage from the mistake we made in 2008, limit the growth of government, stop the movement to Europeanize the USA.

The next great Republican accomplishment, which will not come from the Tea Party, will be to force Obama and Pelosi to go down the bipartisan, centrist path laid out by Obama's own Simpson Bowles deficit reduction commission, repeated in the Gang of Six outline: control spending, adjust entitlements, and adopt pro-growth tax reform.

Many people have the mistaken idea that the "grand bargain" on the deficit was blown up by the Tea Party. It was not. Obama's continuing agenda is totally at odds with Simpson Bowles and the Gang of Six with regard to revenues. In signing the debt/deficit deal, he announced very clearly that he is not on board with the bipartisan, centrist approach. He would rather push for higher marginal tax rates (which will not actually raise any revenue) instead of working toward the great middle ground laid out by the Gang of Six. Obama's approach is wonderful at pandering to his base and inflaming the ignorant, but it is at odds with every major bipartisan commission or study or report or group of legislators that has looked at the problem. Boehner and McConnell, Alice Rivlin, Simpson and Bowles, they all talk about the ONLY way out of our mess. Obama doesn't want any of it.

Now go ahead and tell me that Ronald Reagan had faults, Gerald Ford had faults, get into a pithing contest about the recent blow-up...I know all that. But get it through your head that Republicans do not measure accomplishment via new government programs. Their next acheivement, as I said, will be a centrist push to restore some limits on the size of government, get our fiscal house in order, and fix the bipartisan collection of horrors that the tax code has become.

Hmmm...good points. We'll see if the centrist path is taken. I hope you are right. The point will be to find a way to get spending and income in line. That will take efforts on both sides of the equation. By pro-growth, I think that will have to include jobs too. The growth agenda of recent years has enriched a few and left most of us high and dry. I blame Clinton for that as much as Bush.

But I see your point that great advances in society are not a goal of the Republicans, at least in the government sector. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The interstate highway system is a good one, but I think it was conceived more than 50 years ago, by then Pres. Eisenhower.
Indeed a very good one. I'll accept it.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,278,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Indeed a very good one. I'll accept it.
This sure is a short thread!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This sure is a short thread!
Some of the major ones pointed out so far:

1. The largest public works project in the history of man.
2. The most comprehensive environmental legislation ever enacted.
3. Ending the Cold War.

Seems to be a pretty impressive list to me so far. The only thing I can think of the moment that might fit into these lofty achievements is Kennedy's push for space exploration.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,540,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Some of the major ones pointed out so far:

1. The largest public works project in the history of man.
2. The most comprehensive environmental legislation ever enacted.
3. Ending the Cold War.

Seems to be a pretty impressive list to me so far. The only thing I can think of the moment that might fit into these lofty achievements is Kennedy's push for space exploration.
Taking credit for the ending of the cold war is like taking credit for the sun coming up every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies