Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,537 times

Advertisements

Whereas home sales are slow in my parts, seems every fourth house on every block is getting home renovations done, many of them large scale. People are improving their housing by working with what they've got instead of buying up. Contractors, architects, building suppliers etc must be raking it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
It only took two responses for this thread to go downhill.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
If there is anything good about America I have yet to ever find it .
If you have nothing positive to contribute, then don't bother posting in this thread. You wasted your time and ours.

Keep it up guys, and feel free to post more than one time as the days go by. I'll try to find some good news from my area this week too. I really think this kind of discussion could help.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It only took two responses for this thread to go downhill.
Hey, Ozzie, what's going on in Minnesota? I hear it's a great place this time of year, but I've never been.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey P&OC folks!

So with all the bad news swirling around lately, I thought I'd cheer everyone up by starting "good news" thread. The goal is to remind ourselves that despite our problems, America's still a fantastic place to live, and the greatest country in the world. I want this thread to be about good news--preferably from your neck of the woods, and it can be anything--something you saw, a funny or touching story, or a good event in your town. Please don't use this to argue, demean and divide. There are other threads for that. Okay, I'll start.

Blueberries are in season where I live (West Michigan), so last Wednesday, I picked a whole bucket of fresh blueberries (3lbs, I think) for $2.75. Since I love blueberries, and any foods containing them, I felt like I got a good deal. I'm going to give some to my friends, and use the rest to make my first blueberry pie. (Never made pie before) It's nice that you can still get fresh, healthy food cheaply in some places.

Okay, now you give it a go. What good is going on where YOU live?

mackinac
Having blueberries can make some people happy including my household. We have a place where you pick the blueberries and split what you pick with the owner. For our labor we canned a bunch of blueberry jam and pie filling, I also took some to the Amish auction and made 12 bucks.

The Amish auction reminds me of what a blessing it is to be in my area and live in this country. Even though we are poor we are pretty wealthy at the auction. Last week I bought 2 out door plants for 1 buck each and then a lady gave me 2 bucks for 1 plant. A freebie

I also bought 2 pecks of cucumbers{ pickle type} from a lady that paid 4.50 a pk for 3 bucks a pk. A big discount I also walked away with 4 pks of Roman tomatoes for 14 bucks. We ended up with 11 jars of tomato sauce.

Down the road is a dent and bent place also ran by the Amish. Dented cans and bent dinner boxes selling for 50 cents. I make burritos and the re fried beans at Walmart are 1.00 so I saved 5 bucks just on re fried beans. We had a box full of food and a dozen ears of good sweet corn for 21 bucks

I can go on and on but I think the morale of my story is this is a big country and paradise can be found

Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Our farmer's market has really been fun this summer. Lots of goodies from homemade cheese, cookies and breads to homemade jerky, caramel corn and dog biscuits. The produce, plants and flowers have been awesome at great prices and this week they were giving away free cokes. Oh, and the pulled pork sandwiches are to die for.

OP: our blueberries in West Michigan have been big, sweet and juicy this year as well. Nice topic!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Luv this cause i luv to shop.

San Clemente is a beautiful gorgeous town. Our farmers market not huge as some others in other areas i have been too. However if you want that old town quaint, charming Mayberry feeling this is for you.

Each vendor is right out on the sidewalk, amongst top eateries, restaurants, and quaint darling shops.

The chocolate apples, are so delicious. And all of the berries at this time of the year, the strawberries are so juicy and sweet. So much more quality vegetables then any supermarket carries, and fresh.
The tamales are fantastic, and they even make a vegan tamale without meat for the vegans.
The breads are to die for with a savory sourdough rosemary bread, heavenly, as is all of the sweet Italian breads. The flower vendors are plentiful and a great selection. As is also a honey vendor for any kind of honey you are looking for. First Sunday of the month, is awsome because so many of the vendors feature all crafts, and really really nice. Love the quaint old town charming market, in an upscale beautiful Beachy area.

I really love the apple festival in the Yucapia area, OAK GLEN it is just awsome, you pick your own apples right from the tree. And the homemade apple pie, is like none other then i have ever had anywhere, plump juciy, large crusty apple pie, delicious. And their breakfasts, oh boy, what breakfasts, huge good eats, in a old town rustic ambiance. With hills of the mountainside, and you can walk thru, and see all these animals, there are rides, and shops really quaint, i luv it.

Ok now i am hungry.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Having a great summer in Oregon. Not too hot, and not a bunch of forest fires.

My son is learning to ride a bike, and he even figured out how to pump his legs on the neighborhood swing (no more pushing). So, he is having a blast.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
The Good News for all of us is that Dr. Ron Paul is running for President. He may be the only honest experienced strong candidate running . Let's not vote another status qup liar in (or re-elect the same one).He may be our last chance to turn this country around. Let's make sure we make it happen. Vote for Ron Paul in 2012!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Having blueberries can make some people happy including my household. We have a place where you pick the blueberries and split what you pick with the owner. For our labor we canned a bunch of blueberry jam and pie filling, I also took some to the Amish auction and made 12 bucks.

The Amish auction reminds me of what a blessing it is to be in my area and live in this country. Even though we are poor we are pretty wealthy at the auction. Last week I bought 2 out door plants for 1 buck each and then a lady gave me 2 bucks for 1 plant. A freebie

I also bought 2 pecks of cucumbers{ pickle type} from a lady that paid 4.50 a pk for 3 bucks a pk. A big discount I also walked away with 4 pks of Roman tomatoes for 14 bucks. We ended up with 11 jars of tomato sauce.

Down the road is a dent and bent place also ran by the Amish. Dented cans and bent dinner boxes selling for 50 cents. I make burritos and the re fried beans at Walmart are 1.00 so I saved 5 bucks just on re fried beans. We had a box full of food and a dozen ears of good sweet corn for 21 bucks

I can go on and on but I think the morale of my story is this is a big country and paradise can be found
Thanks for sharing! It's stuff like that that remind us that life can have good in it if we look for it, despite what we hear on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies