Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 PM

8,587 posts, read 9,079,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If you earned a lot of wealth by hard work and sacrifice, would you want it taken away from you? Or would you want the freedom to use it how you see fit?
This is my take: If one was to take a risk and make a widget everyone just loves to death and many purchase such a widget making the risk taker rich, I'm all for it. However, I got a gut feeling those who are running the show are not risk takers at all but people who've managed to corner particular markets that are essential for our survival, paying off politicians, creating quasi monopolies-cartels, colluding and getting away with it such as insurance companies, energy companies, large wall street banks, pharmaceuticals, just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,873,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
This is my take: If one was to take a risk and make a widget everyone just loves to death and many purchase such a widget making the risk taker rich, I'm all for it. However, I got a gut feeling those who are running the show are not risk takers at all but people who've managed to corner particular markets that are essential for our survival, paying off politicians, creating quasi monopolies-cartels, colluding and getting away with it such as insurance companies, energy companies, large wall street banks, pharmaceuticals, just to name a few.

if that is true then it is the job of the government to arrest and bring them to justice. we are not a vigilante country, nor do we want to be.

iceland brought change about by peaceful means because the people decided TO ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN THEIR COUNTRY, something still sadly lacking here-but people haven't had to sacrifice much yet.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,630,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe the adults but teens are currently "flash mobbing" all over the US.
Start cutting the entitlements back and you'll be seeing adult "flash robbing" at your local Wallymart.
People who feed their Chinese Masters by shopping at SLAVEMART are on their own

Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,873,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
People who feed their Chinese Masters by shopping at SLAVEMART are on their own
for the millionth time, you can buy AMERICAN goods at walmart.

you need to start looking.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,853,425 times
No. People will just lay down and die like they did in the Soviet Union and at Jonestown.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM

8,587 posts, read 9,079,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if that is true then it is the job of the government to arrest and bring them to justice. we are not a vigilante country, nor do we want to be.

iceland brought change about by peaceful means because the people decided TO ACPARTICIPATE IN THEIR COUNTRY, something still sadly lacking here-but people haven't had to sacrifice much yet.
50 years ago there were approximately 4 thousand lobbyist in my home town of Washington DC. Now there are close to 50 thousand. Congress represents special interests not the people. That is why nothing of significance is accomplished by either party. The gravy train must not be brought to justice.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,268,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
People have remained relatively calm throughout this long recession. I haven't noticed or heard of huge increases in crimes and things. But is the day coming where this will change? Hungry people, desperate people are likely to start gathering together and rioting and starting an increase in the crime rate.

I mean, if we cut out food stamps and unemployment, etc, what are people going to do? If they already can't find jobs, I don't know anyone happy to be on unemployment.
It could happen. I just don't see it as a real possibility, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
No. I think most people are too busy watching TV or are drugged out (alcohol, prescription drugs, pot, whatever) . . . too much apathy and disinterest.
That's what the 60s were and they had riots.

Last edited by thePR; 08-07-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,161,648 times
Quote:
for the millionth time, you can buy AMERICAN goods at walmart.

you need to start looking.
I am but it's very difficult. I stopped buying chinese years ago. I find I do without a lot of stuff you people find essential.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,150,337 times
Quote:
i would hope that americans would unite if times got tough.

you sure can accomplish a lot more united than divided.

i saw a lot of goodness after we got clobbered with hurricanes here in florida, and people rose to the occasion.

i predict that good people will stay good, and people looking for an excuse to be troublemakers will use ANY excuse to be troublemakers.
But you're taking away their excuses to use their guns!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,509,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
All of my wealth...every penny? Or a percentage determined by the tax code?

60 percent?? 70 percent?? What is enough???

And what is my incentive to bust my tail to make more money, knowing that most of it will be taken away?? I would rather quit with my current earnings and live off the interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies