Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If you earned a lot of wealth by hard work and sacrifice, would you want it taken away from you? Or would you want the freedom to use it how you see fit?
What about those who did not gain their wealth that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Riots never really made sense to me. I can understand assemblies and marching, but riots suck. The biggest winners are the people that loot the businesses, but they are just taking their stolen goods back to their same bad situation. LOL
they wind up being the biggest losers in the end.

they may get a tv or something, but the business leaves the area and then they have nothing-nowhere to shop and nothing to buy.

it is just like zimbabwe-the people stole all the productive farms, couldn't produce (because they were totally clueless), and now it is one of the poorest countries in the world.

you gain NOTHING by destroying your own neighborhoods in the long run.

you gain EVERYTHING by working together and helping each other improve things in a downturn.

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I don't think Americans are as apathetic as people think they are. Supposedly California is a bellwether for how this country is heading. If that is the case...I'm seeing more and more unrest here. You still see that kindly, laid back SoCal cool, but underneath that veneer there is an increasing amount of rage. I'm seeing more and more groups protesting things. I've been involved in the protests for Kelly Thomas, who was beaten by Fullerton PD, and I'm seeing more and more people who think that the system is broken and our government is corrupt and worthless. I'm seeing increasing amounts of anger. The anger spans all ages and all races and ethnicities, religions and faiths and lack of them, as well as all economic levels and political leanings

As soon as California passed the internet tax, and after they passed the law that states that gay history must be taught as part of history to children, there was rage and petitions came out almost immediately.

People are also frustrated here over the lack of jobs and I've noticed that the non-violent crime rate--mostly theft--has gone crazy here.

My parents have told me that even in peaceful, yippee-skippy Utah, where the locals are squeaky and generally law abiding, there is an ever growing rage among the people, even the Mormons.

People are not happy. My friends are not happy. My family is not happy. We're getting tired of just barely making it, scraping by, led by oblivious morons who don't care and cater to whatever special interest group has money. I cannot think of anyone I know who is thrilled with how this country is going--no one, and I know many people from all walks of life.

I don't think Americans are going to quietly lay down and die. All the protesting and petitioning here just in SoCal is evidence of it. I don't know how much longer it will be until people snap.

My Texas relatives are saying the same...more and more anger and unrest. There is an anger underneath that happy veneer...the question is, how long will the anger simmer under the surface?

And if you take the food stamps and the UI away, I'm sure there will be more rioting. People just are not getting buy. There are no jobs and everything is going up in price while wages for those who are lucky to be working are going down.
Good, thought-provoking post.

Each of us sees only a tiny corner of our world first-hand, and we tend to project the big picture from that. I, for one, certainly hope you are right.

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
All it takes is one riot in one city and word will get out and it will spread like wildfire.
Just look at the London riots now spreading.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
They believe in that, to their detriment.

What has ACTUALLY HAPPENED is that the rich have destroyed the middle class.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed some sarcasm in his message.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,198 times
The right-wingers in power (I don't care what the Tea Party clowns say, Obama IS a right-winger) are intent on punishing the poor for being poor. Punishing the victims of a society built for the rich. Punishing the less fortunate. Punishing those who are denied opportunities because of the color of their skin (that still happens, no matter what racists say to deny it). Punishing those who got their wealth collectively STOLEN from them.

Don't be surprised if ordinary people get a bit angry...

Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Good, thought-provoking post.

Each of us sees only a tiny corner of our world first-hand, and we tend to project the big picture from that. I, for one, certainly hope you are right.
i agree with the dissatisfaction, but what do riots do?

they destroy the businesses which provide the jobs, which basically combat the corrupt government. if you are autonomous, you don't have to bend to a corrupt government. that is why governments love dependency-more power for them.

the government winds up with everything if people destroy the businesses and the jobs, and then you are left EVEN more powerless.

i do think we need a massive march on washington -and even working people need to take a few days off and show their displeasure AT THE SAME TIME.

it would really shake things up and show we are serious.

there was a peaceful revolt which worked in iceland.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The right-wingers in power (I don't care what the Tea Party clowns say, Obama IS a right-winger) are intent on punishing the poor for being poor. Punishing the victims of a society built for the rich. Punishing the less fortunate. Punishing those who are denied opportunities because of the color of their skin (that still happens, no matter what racists say to deny it). Punishing those who got their wealth collectively STOLEN from them.

Don't be surprised if ordinary people get a bit angry...
I've heard talk of cutbacks to SS and medicare and removal of the mortgage interest deductions. These are all cuts to middle class benefits, not the poor.

I have not heard of cuts to Section 8, food stamps or welfare or medicaid.
So just who is punishing the poor ?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've heard talk of cutbacks to SS and medicare and removal of the mortgage interest deductions. These are all cuts to middle class benefits, not the poor.

I have not heard of cuts to Section 8, food stamps or welfare or medicaid.
So just who is punishing the poor ?

You're right, the poor have already been punished. Ronald Reagan made sure of that when he cut spending on social programs drastically, raised the Social Security tax, and destroyed the unions that brought you nothing less than the middle class.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i agree with the dissatisfaction, but what do riots do?

they destroy the businesses which provide the jobs, which basically combat the corrupt government. if you are autonomous, you don't have to bend to a corrupt government. that is why governments love dependency-more power for them.

the government winds up with everything if people destroy the businesses and the jobs, and then you are left EVEN more powerless.

i do think we need a massive march on washington -and even working people need to take a few days off and show their displeasure AT THE SAME TIME.

it would really shake things up and show we are serious.

there was a peaceful revolt which worked in iceland.
I thought about that after I posted. I definitely did NOT mean I hope that there are riots. I'll just be gratified to see people awake from their slumber.

Over the last generation we have let a once great nation slip from our fingers while making almost no attempt to stop it.

I wholeheartedly agree that our revolt needs to be peaceful. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies