Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,361,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
People have remained relatively calm throughout this long recession. I haven't noticed or heard of huge increases in crimes and things. But is the day coming where this will change? Hungry people, desperate people are likely to start gathering together and rioting and starting an increase in the crime rate.

I mean, if we cut out food stamps and unemployment, etc, what are people going to do? If they already can't find jobs, I don't know anyone happy to be on unemployment.
Do what they did before those programs, work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,361,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I thought about that after I posted. I definitely did NOT mean I hope that there are riots. I'll just be gratified to see people awake from their slumber.

Over the last generation we have let a once great nation slip from our fingers while making almost no attempt to stop it.

I wholeheartedly agree that our revolt needs to be peaceful. Thank you.
Oh you want riots. What is it you Marxists say? Change can only be brought though revolution or something like that.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM

415 posts, read 614,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The right-wingers in power (I don't care what the Tea Party clowns say, Obama IS a right-winger) are intent on punishing the poor for being poor. Punishing the victims of a society built for the rich. Punishing the less fortunate. Punishing those who are denied opportunities because of the color of their skin (that still happens, no matter what racists say to deny it). Punishing those who got their wealth collectively STOLEN from them.

Don't be surprised if ordinary people get a bit angry...
I don't see it as that. I'm an independent and I'm seeing it like this: The Republicans are trying to be like Herbert Hoover during the Depression; the Democrats are trying to be like FDR during the Depression. And neither party seems to realize that neither Hoover or FDR got us out of the Depression. One lost an election because he didn't like poor people, the other prolonged it because he was hostile towards business. Neither angle got rid of the Depression. And adopting Hoover or FDR policies in entirety is NOT going to solve this country's problems.

I don't think cutting entitlements when there are no jobs is going to solve anything, I think it will make things worse. A desperate person will do anything to eat. They will rob you. However, hiking taxes and creating new taxes is going to scare businesses, and they are not going to want to hire. Its like a downward spiral: your choice of angry and bitter poor people or skittish businesses.

I think there is a happy middle somewhere; but neither party is going to go there, and neither party is willing to compromise.

I think deregulating might work, plus lowering business taxes, coupled with keeping entitlements around. That way the unemployed and the poor still eat, but businesses feel better long-term.

Spending our way out of this is just going to get us into a different kind of trouble. And cutting entitlements is just going to induce riots and more crime. But that seems to be the track our political parties are on: Republicans want to cut everything, even the military, to nothing and starve the poor in a sea of no jobs (watch the crime rate soar, Republicans) and the Democrats want to spend until China gets pissed off.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,657,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh you want riots. What is it you Marxists say? Change can only be brought though revolution or something like that.
Well, I guess for every good, thought provoking post there's....

Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,319,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
60 percent?? 70 percent?? What is enough???

And what is my incentive to bust my tail to make more money, knowing that most of it will be taken away?? I would rather quit with my current earnings and live off the interest.
Get real

What's wrong with living off of interest income? No offense, but I highly doubt you have the where with all to do so.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I don't see it as that. I'm an independent and I'm seeing it like this: The Republicans are trying to be like Herbert Hoover during the Depression; the Democrats are trying to be like FDR during the Depression. And neither party seems to realize that neither Hoover or FDR got us out of the Depression. One lost an election because he didn't like poor people, the other prolonged it because he was hostile towards business. Neither angle got rid of the Depression. And adopting Hoover or FDR policies in entirety is NOT going to solve this country's problems.

I don't think cutting entitlements when there are no jobs is going to solve anything, I think it will make things worse. A desperate person will do anything to eat. They will rob you. However, hiking taxes and creating new taxes is going to scare businesses, and they are not going to want to hire. Its like a downward spiral: your choice of angry and bitter poor people or skittish businesses.

I think there is a happy middle somewhere; but neither party is going to go there, and neither party is willing to compromise.

I think deregulating might work, plus lowering business taxes, coupled with keeping entitlements around. That way the unemployed and the poor still eat, but businesses feel better long-term.

Spending our way out of this is just going to get us into a different kind of trouble. And cutting entitlements is just going to induce riots and more crime. But that seems to be the track our political parties are on: Republicans want to cut everything, even the military, to nothing and starve the poor in a sea of no jobs (watch the crime rate soar, Republicans) and the Democrats want to spend until China gets pissed off.
Under both Hoover and FDR taxes on the rich increased from 24% to 83% and unemployment skyrocketed as the rich became poor.

Arthur Laffer: The Soak-the-Rich Catch-22 - WSJ.com

Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,825,880 times
Quote:
People have remained relatively calm throughout this long recession. I haven't noticed or heard of huge increases in crimes and things. But is the day coming where this will change? Hungry people, desperate people are likely to start gathering together and rioting and starting an increase in the crime rate.

I mean, if we cut out food stamps and unemployment, etc, what are people going to do? If they already can't find jobs, I don't know anyone happy to be on unemployment.
If Obama didn't want riots he would not be fomenting class and race warfare. In fact, Obama is betting on those riots for his "advantage".

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 PM

355 posts, read 867,388 times
Quote:
People have remained relatively calm throughout this long recession. I haven't noticed or heard of huge increases in crimes and things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

No. I think most people are too busy watching TV or are drugged out (alcohol, prescription drugs, pot, whatever) . . . too much apathy and disinterest.
Flouride in water makes people docile.

ALERT: Fluoride a Key Ingredient of Prozac"Make Them Docile" : Politics & Gov Projects

Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
As soon as we get our own "austerity" measures that hit the social welfare programs you'll start seeing flash mobs/robs turning more violent.

Just look at the cities in England if you don't think it could happen here.
Poor, unemployed youth..burning buildings/cars and looting stores and it's spreading via instant messaging.

I think that is one reason neither Obama nor Congress have mentioned cuts to the welfare programs. They know middle class Americans will get upset with cuts to their programs but they won't take to the streets and riot, burn and loot.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,876,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And you know that how??????

Sure....we have crooks.....but you guys wanna rape the honest earners too! You don't care and you don't even bother distinguishing between the two!

Not all multi millionaires and billionaires are crooks! And you can't say MOST are unless you've seen every company in America's books.....
What the criminal class is too stupid to understand is that if they destroy the successful people in this country, there goes their meal ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies