Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,181,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Because SS is not means tested.
Not in my dads case, he would not be means tested out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Not in my dads case, he would not be means tested out.
I don't get your point; there is no means testing for Social Security. Everyone who qualifies by paying in 40 quarters gets it.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I don't get your point; there is no means testing for Social Security. Everyone who qualifies by paying in 40 quarters gets it.
I thought you were saying my dad got such a big return because SS is not means tested.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I thought you were saying my dad got such a big return because SS is not means tested.
I was talking about MY father-in-law, who got way more than he put in, and acknowledged same.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,810,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
entitlement is a dirty word used by politicians to create further divisions among people.

i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out what i paid in my whole life.

if i go to the bank and deposit money week after week, one would assume i have the right to pull that money out when i need it.

social security is more like insurance then anything else.

there is no such thing as an entitlement that you have to pay into your whole life to get.

an entitlement is something handed to you like food stamps or a 75,000 year job for a dropout(walker relative).

pretty sure people dont pay in SS what they get out which means they are taking money or taxes from generations below SS recipients

Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,182,345 times
Quote:
I was talking about MY father-in-law, who got way more than he put in, and acknowledged same.
My dad retired at 65 and died just 6 years ago at 97. He also got quite a bit of money from the Teamsters Union which he only paid in to for just over 2 years. Which of those things was worst? I say the union paying him over $250 per month for over 35 years since his monthly dues were $8. He was a union hater but he took their money, gladly.

I wonder if many of those who are against we old people collecting SS know that we don't get even half as much as they do or will.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 4,696,103 times
I think it's called an "entitlement" because people are entitled to receive it, since they've paid in.
Funny how we don't hear about the percentage of people who paid in and never collect because they die before they're able to collect. I know people who died in their 50s, a few of them at least. Several in fact. And some who only collected SS for a year or two before they died.
Why aren't we supplied that kind of information rather than just how people are getting paid for far too long because they didn't pay into the system for as long as they're collecting?
How many have died before they even collect a dime? What about all the troops who have lost their lives and never will collect? What about people who die young, less than 65 years old? We don't hear about that, do we.
best,
toodie

Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,015,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
entitlement is a dirty word used by politicians to create further divisions among people.

i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out what i paid in my whole life.

if i go to the bank and deposit money week after week, one would assume i have the right to pull that money out when i need it.

social security is more like insurance then anything else.

there is no such thing as an entitlement that you have to pay into your whole life to get.

an entitlement is something handed to you like food stamps or a 75,000 year job for a dropout(walker relative).
Social security isn't a bank account. The money you pay in doesn't go to an account with your name on it. It doesn't even go to a social security account. It goes to general revenue.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,015,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Because more is withdrawn than is contributed, if you live long enough (which many folks do).
So? If I buy an annuity, I will collect more than I paid, if I live long enough. If I buy life insurance, I will collect more than I paid, if I die fast enough. None of this has anything to do with the question the OP asked.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder if many of those who are against we old people collecting SS know that we don't get even half as much as they do or will.
Huh? As I said my dad got all his tax money, Fed, State, local property, payroll taxes back in 5 years. Do you really think that will happen to me starting in 20 years?

It has nothing to do with not wanting the truly needy to receive help, it is about a demographically unsustainable system. Just ask Madoff about those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies