Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,910,670 times

Advertisements

entitlement is a dirty word used by politicians to create further divisions among people.

i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out what i paid in my whole life.

if i go to the bank and deposit money week after week, one would assume i have the right to pull that money out when i need it.

social security is more like insurance then anything else.

there is no such thing as an entitlement that you have to pay into your whole life to get.

an entitlement is something handed to you like food stamps or a 75,000 year job for a dropout(walker relative).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,975,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
entitlement is a dirty word used by politicians to create further divisions among people.

i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out what i paid in my whole life.

if i go to the bank and deposit money week after week, one would assume i have the right to pull that money out when i need it.

there is no such thing as an entitlement that you have to pay into your whole life to get.

an entitlement is something handed to you like food stamps or a 75,000 year job for a dropout(walker relative).
...well, if you only were to get back exactly what you paid in, yes it wouldn't be an entitlement...just whip out that pesky calculator and you'll see, you get back way, way more than you put it...=...entitlement..

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 8,812 times
A person qualified for SS will receive benefits until they die - regardless of how much they put into it. However, if you die before retirement then you might not get anything and your heirs won't either.

The real problem with SS is that the system was originally designed when the average life expectancy was 67. Today it's in the late 70's. Also, originally there were16 workers paying into SS for every person receiving benefits. Today its about 3 paying into it for every person receiving benefits.

That being said, SS can be saved by raising the retirement age. Medicare/Medicaid are the real drivers of deficit problems from the entitlement side of the equation. For people who want to keep these benefits, it will be difficult to reduce healthcare costs in today's political environment. And, I do mean reduce costs - not cost shift from the govt to the individual.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...well, if you only were to get back exactly what you paid in, yes it wouldn't be an entitlement...just whip out that pesky calculator and you'll see, you get back way, way more than you put it...=...entitlement..

Millions of Americans DON'T get back what they paid in. It depends on WHEN you paid in and when you collect - the first generation of workers to collect did indeed receive way more than they paid in, with the financial return declining over time. Boomers and Gen X would have been far better off in old age if their Social Security taxes had instead been invested privately.

And then if you die before you collect you lose all the money you paid in.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abella30 View Post
That being said, SS can be saved by raising the retirement age. Medicare/Medicaid are the real drivers of deficit problems from the entitlement side of the equation. For people who want to keep these benefits, it will be difficult to reduce healthcare costs in today's political environment. And, I do mean reduce costs - not cost shift from the govt to the individual.

Raising the retirement age increases the number of people who pay in for decades and die before collecting a dime.

In other words, raising the retirement age is highly regressive.

Which has never stopped conservatives.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,181,482 times
Quote:

My dad retired in 84, he got back every dollar he had ever paid in ALL taxes, in the first 5 years. H is still collecting BTW.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,709,276 times
Quote:

Because more is withdrawn than is contributed, if you live long enough (which many folks do).

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Because SS is not means tested.

My FIL retired at age 65, lived to be 97. He started contributing in his late 20s; he always joked that he had gotten his money's worth and got more than he paid in. I believe he had retired by the time there was a separate Medicare tax (1983).

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,709,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Raising the retirement age increases the number of people who pay in for decades and die before collecting a dime.

In other words, raising the retirement age is highly regressive.

Which has never stopped conservatives.
If that is you real concern you should be in factor of people setting up their own retirement accounts. You can do with it what you like and leave it to family when you die. The government has no business in the retirement insurance business.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,895,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
Oh, and lets not forget the guy, where the only thing wrong with him is, that he can't read .. 32 years old, collecting his little $500.00 a month check .. Imagine that ..

No Entitlements here .. Oh wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies