Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,720,885 times

Advertisements

Let's just cut to the chase. Grades, like IQ scores can be considered a proxy for good judgement and problem solving skills, but only a very crude one. I would want to learn more about the person before casting judgment.

I know very little about Perry, but does he make intelligent, informed decisions? That seems more germane than his scores years ago. We would like our Prez to be a scholar, but that is not essential. More importantly, what has the person done since? That was the beef with Sarah Palin. She seemed clever enough when zinging a one liner, but upon questioning showed herself to be very ignorant of history, world geography, and most of the things you'd want in a president. She was so arrogant, she did not seem to even know what she should know. I will say, I would want the Prez to be exceptional in many ways, including intellectually, but other personalit traits can matter too. Reagan was no Einstein, but I think he possessed exceptional emotional intelligence, which is arguably just as important to a leader. He also seemed to grasp the big picture, even if not all the details. Carter, on the other hand, was very intelligent, but lacking in the common touch. I would want to learn more about the guy than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Right. Republicans are an open book. Democrats, not so much. Much has been made of Sarah Palin's march through academia toward a college degree. But, as you point out, Obama's records are top secret. Same with John Kerry's military records.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Rick Perry did not RELEASE his college transcripts. They were LEAKED. As in, published without his permission, same as Bush and Kerry.

No hypocrisy. It's just that no one has leaked Obama's.

Here's the relevant bit from the (ugh) HuffPo article:

Clear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
College Algebra is not HS Algebra.
College algebra is what a lot of students who are non-math/science majors take to fulfil a math requirement. It's a "fluff" course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Barry allegedly taught law for 14 years after graduating college but no one can be found that ever remembered him or attended his class.
There is a poster on the Pittsburgh forum who went to U of Chicago law school and had Obama as a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
College Trig and Chemistry are not easy! Just be honest for a minute. You may not like Perry....but at least admit that science and math are challenging subjects for most students! Never heard of anyone needing a tudor for Criminal Justice or Social Studies!!
Trig is another one you take in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
At least he does not hide his college transcript
IT. . . . WAS. . . . LEAKED!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I agree that they should not be released without the person's permission. However, your previous post assumed that Perry released his transcripts, and Obama did not, therefore there was hypocrisy on the part of the Dems for not insisting that Obama follow Perry's lead. Since neither released their transcripts, I say they're on even ground on this one.
Perry's may not have been officially released by his camp, but 1) they aren't sealed in some magical vault like Obama's (indicating Perry doesn't care/ has nothing to hide) and 2) they either were released or discovered sometime earlier in his Governor tour as they weren't new news to us Texans.

Lastly, as someone whose sibling attended A&M, I'd like to clear up a few things:
1. Org Chem is the #1 "freshman weedout" class on camps. It's miserable!
2. Economics at A&M isn't a "fluff" course- know quite a few people who eeeked out with C's and now work for top financial institutions with success
3. 12-15 hours is a "full-time" courseload. That, and Perry was in the Corps of Cadets (like ROTC on steroids) which is a HUGE time commitment and let him to his military service after graduation.
4. Keep in mind today's grade inflation was RARE in his college days. No "curves", "rounding up", etc. A 72 was a "C" not the bell-curve "A" it is on many college campuses today.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,720,885 times
One more excuse for Perry (from a Democrat, so buyer beware). He could be a late bloomer. When I think of how my mind worked at 18 vs. now there is no comparison. Many things have crystalized over time and I would have to say I am largely a different person. That is why I hate the obsession with Ivy League school debt right out of high school. Some kids are precocious and have it completely wired at 14, others don't get it dialed in until the 20s and later. I spent my first 2 years at a community college, and with good reason, but had academic success later on. People go off the rails for many reasons. For instance, if he was a complete alcoholic or something (like my brother, who is very bright but vaporized his 20s in drink), he may have been a lousy student, and when he sobered up is doing great. Or, he could have been one of those Animal House guys we all hated in college, vomiting off balconies and driving around in cool cars on the folk's dime. Hard to say what it all means now!

To butcher Tolstoy, All good students are all the same, all lousy students are lousy in their own way!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,250,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oooh man.. thats it... Rick Perry got a C in Vertebrate Zoology!

Clearly he's not qualified to be president.
Perhaps the D in Principles of Economics

But this is dumb anyway...

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,265,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Despite the fact that Texas Monthly characterizes Perry as a smarter, meaner George Bush, his college transcript casts doubt -- at least on the smarter part:

Rick Perry's Texas A&M Transcript
I don't need to look at his transcripts to know he's a moron.

Him suggesting that Texas secede from the United States is good enough reason to consider him a complete fool.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,825,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I don't see "Richard Perry" on the document.

Upper left corner... James Richard Per.

He was a prevet degree program so a C in Invertebrate zoology is kind of significant. but not as so as the 4 D's and 1 F. and only 2 A's. That def was not his subject. I'd still place W at the bottom of the rung for presidential smarts... maybe it was caused from alcohol poisoning...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,919,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Upper left corner... James Richard Per.

He was a prevet degree program so a C in Invertebrate zoology is kind of significant. but not as so as the 4 D's and 1 F. and only 2 A's. That def was not his subject. I'd still place W at the bottom of the rung for presidential smarts... maybe it was caused from alcohol poisoning...
Per[whiteout] James Richard

Per? Who?

Why is his last name removed with whiteout?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,597,136 times
Arriving to this thread late...

I don't care about Perry's grades if he had a couple of courses he didn't do well in.

I've been in the workforce for many years, work with many professionals (engineers, accountants, and that type) and just about everyone had a bad time in one or two subjects. However, 30 years later, they seem to be exceptional employees. I, myself, failed the geometry segment of my college math course by 6 points, (needed a 75 to pass) and had to repeat the entire course. I'm pretty weak in math but, today, I'm a financial manager and one of the best in my office.

What would concern me about any politicians scholastic recored would be:

1. A pattern throughout the colllege years of bad grades
2. Taking a long time to finish 4 years of college with no valid reason for hardship (financial, health). Even this one is not alarming as I think it takes some youth a long time to find themselves.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Let's just cut to the chase. Grades, like IQ scores can be considered a proxy for good judgement and problem solving skills, but only a very crude one. I would want to learn more about the person before casting judgment.

I know very little about Perry, but does he make intelligent, informed decisions? That seems more germane than his scores years ago. We would like our Prez to be a scholar, but that is not essential. More importantly, what has the person done since? That was the beef with Sarah Palin. She seemed clever enough when zinging a one liner, but upon questioning showed herself to be very ignorant of history, world geography, and most of the things you'd want in a president. She was so arrogant, she did not seem to even know what she should know. I will say, I would want the Prez to be exceptional in many ways, including intellectually, but other personalit traits can matter too. Reagan was no Einstein, but I think he possessed exceptional emotional intelligence, which is arguably just as important to a leader. He also seemed to grasp the big picture, even if not all the details. Carter, on the other hand, was very intelligent, but lacking in the common touch. I would want to learn more about the guy than this.
Excellent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies