Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,719,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Can someone explain to me why they would defend corperations and wall st folks who do not contribute anything to anyone. The companies don't care about Obama or anyone else who is in office. For those who think that they are in the know, how about the interest that they are making on the money that they are not spending on jobs? How can some of you cry about the taxes that they have to pay when there are people losing their jobs and their way of life. They have been pimping the government for the last 10+ years! So the hell what they have to pay a little more, would you rather make grandma take cuts on her SS check that she has contributed to for most of her life? Maybe some of you are satisfied in the cuts to medicare. This is just what those dumbazz BOUGHT politicians in D.C did.

How in the hell can you balance anything without revenue! But to have the nerve to tell the people to sacrifice even more under the fairytale that "if you let us continue to pay less taxes we will provide jobs" Good luck on that BS! It did not work with Reaganomics, it did not work with Bush-noeconomics and it sure as hell is not working now, so tell me again why are some of you defending the millionaires turned billionaires?
Well said. It will fall on deaf ears with most here though. It goes against their talking points. Obama's Fault! Please repeat 3000 times daily.

We have worked to give corporations power, and they have learned they can make more in the markets than through investing in their own products and their consumers. Their goal is to liberate Americans of their cash, and when Americans are out of cash, they go elsewhere to plunder. But defending the rich is the conservative party line, so cannot be challenged by mere facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM

886 posts, read 2,216,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
This is incorrect. See my post above for the truth.
Hardly..

The tax situation is not one they are worried about, that would be ridiculous. Even the taxes that we should have and Obama would like (rolling back Bush tax cuts) would not hurt business...

They aren't hiring because they don't have too. They have squeezed more productivity out of workers and we live in an economic situation where workers are scared.. no one is leaving their job and bosses can demand more work for the same pay...

To improve the economy we can't count on businesses that are already in existence, we need entrepreneurs to start new businesses with new jobs.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,719,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Can conservatives explain to me why corporate compensation is increasing at enormous rates, given all of this supposed buckling down?

You see, it is the new bill of rights.

They have one set of rights, and you have another. You buckle down, and they might, just might, possibly give you a job someday.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,226,390 times
Even if a Republican is elected in 2012 and Republicans take back the senate, I seriously doubt we will see any job creation. Companies have figured out how to operate with skeleton staff and will still continue to outsource.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,512,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Can someone explain why the big corporations continue to sit on their record profits while the country goes down the tubes? Will this be beneficial to them when no one can buy their products?????

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/08/bu...DcddqBw4l%20vg
They feel like wage slavery is worth the wait.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,823,667 times
Quote:
Can someone explain why the big corporations continue to sit on their record profits while the country goes down the tubes? Will this be beneficial to them when no one can buy their products?????

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/08/bu...DcddqBw4l%20vg
Because there is a high level of uncertainty about the regulatory direction of the current administration. Many feel he is anti-business. With threats of higher taxes, stricter environmental laws and such. Companies are 'waiting this out'.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,204,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Sit" on record profits? Who do you think gets the profits? The stakeholders, in other words the share owners. Exactly who do you think that is?

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."

Business Ownership & Labor Day

Read the entire article, and open your eyes.

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., is a corporate owner, en masse. They get the corporate profits.

Guess who the US's biggest investor is?

CalPERS, the California public employee union. Pension systems and retirement accounts are "sitting" on the profits. Perhaps you believe those should be raided and emptied of their value?
People would rather continue spewing their ignorant opinions (wh/ they have based on being fed from pundits) than actually READ, RESEARCH or LISTEN AND LEARN.

WHen folks keep saying this stuff about 'greedy wall street' I keep thinking . . . well, uh, those stocks represent my retirement funds . . . so am I greedy for wanting a modest return on my investments?

Government pensions represent a HUGE chunk of what should be considered "entitlements."

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,204,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Because there is a high level of uncertainty about the regulatory direction of the current administration. Many feel he is anti-business. With threats of higher taxes, stricter environmental laws and such. Companies are 'waiting this out'.
Absolutely correct. I am a small business owner and many of my friends and associates are. That is exactly what folks are thinking.

It's the whole "business climate" under Obama that is making employers very wary about the future for themselves and their clients, consumers and employees.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,923,822 times
Quote:
So you're all saying that because huge corps who have record profits in the billions might have to cover their employees with health insurance they are not spending at all? They already have the profits to cover their employees!!

I don't think this is the explanation- anyone else?
What on gods earth would you like them to be spending it on? Buying up other bankrupt companies?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM

28,888 posts, read 30,136,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Even if a Republican is elected in 2012 and Republicans take back the senate, I seriously doubt we will see any job creation. Companies have figured out how to operate with skeleton staff and will still continue to outsource.
if Obama's reputation continues to fall, a republican will be elected, and let me tell you it won't change a thing...I've seen this all my life...back and forth, back and forth and it still doesn't change...and when anyone decent is elected in, they do all they can to dirty that person's reputation...why doesn't anyone get this? I mean, do you think this is new...it's been happening for the past 60 years...dems, the repubs, then dems, then repubs, and not one of them do a darn thing for this country...or, should I say, for our people...obama keeps saying he's going to create jobs, how? With everyone moving they're corporations overseas...we don't own this land any longer, foreign governments do, they own our banks, everything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies