Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,196,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Advantages or not, it's racism, plain and simple. It doesn't even affect me, I'm self employed, nobody is taking my job. It's a matter of principle. I don't think racial discrimination should be mandated by the government. It's ridiculous.

I've addressed it, and most people are aware of this fact.
I guess I just don't understand the argument. Where is this happening? I don't know any black people that have benefited from AA. I mean, NONE. How is this such a huge phenomenon?

While I don't agree that race should be a motivating factor in the hiring process, there are many employers who don't feel the same way...and that's why AA proves to be an important thing in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
This thread has been all too typical... conservatives are pissed off about liberals who deflect and apply double standards to racially motivated crimes, so they start complaining about it (essentially doing the same damn thing the liberals do). Then the liberals come in and start playing the race card as expected. But at that point it's actually been partially justified based on some of the earlier conservative's posts in this thread in which this crime wasn't condemned.

Somebody's gona have to be the bigger person here...
My vote goes to CincyIU29.

There's no hope for me. When blacks are dissed for unfair and unjust reasons, I will never be able to just sit back and let it happen.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,846,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I guess I just don't understand the argument. Where is this happening? I don't know any black people that have benefited from AA? I mean, NONE. How is this such a huge phenomenon?
I don't either - just a matter of principle for me. It's not really AA to be honest, it's just the entire concept. Diversity quotas, lowering of test scores since not enough minorities were passing, stuff like that. Did you see that thread last week? Trying to outlaw criminal background checks because they were unfair to minorities? It's insane. It's even racist in its own condescending kind of way.

Quote:
While I don't agree that race should be a motivating factor in the hiring process, there are many employers who don't feel the same way...and that's why AA proves to be an important thing in America.
Which is a problem. I just don't see applying more racism in reverse to be the solution.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,509,975 times
Quote:
This thread has been all too typical... conservatives are pissed off about liberals who deflect and apply double standards to racially motivated crimes, so they start complaining about it (essentially doing the same damn thing the liberals do). Then the liberals come in and start playing the race card as expected. But at that point it's actually been partially justified based on some of the earlier conservative's posts in this thread in which this crime wasn't condemned.

Somebody's gona have to be the bigger person here...
OK Ill support this post mostly. You say some things sometimes that makes me wonder but Ill take back the surprimacist stuff. Deal.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,416,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Once again, this timeless quote seems appropriate for this thread:

Convicitons are more dangerous enemies of the truth than lies.
- Neitzsche

So many people in this thread have such strong convictions that separate them from any semblance of objective reality.

It's always the same ones too.

Brings to mind a Mark Twain quote:

"No amount of evidence will ever convince an idiot."

Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,959,673 times
Quote:
I guess I just don't understand the argument. Where is this happening? I don't know any black people that have benefited from AA. I mean, NONE. How is this such a huge phenomenon?

And that's the crux of the problem. If a company openly admits that they use race as a factor in hiring, in that they give those of white ancestry an advantage there would be an outcry. Lawsuits, condemnations, investigations, criminal charges, etc. However, if a business openly admits that it uses race as a consideration, but that minorities get first preference they get help from the government and applauded as "diverse" and "equal opportunity.

If you can't see that double standard that's your deal. However racism cuts both ways and shouldn't be used for or against any race, or gender for that matter.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
And that's the crux of the problem. If a company openly admits that they use race as a factor in hiring, in that they give those of white ancestry an advantage there would be an outcry. Lawsuits, condemnations, investigations, criminal charges, etc. However, if a business openly admits that it uses race as a consideration, but that minorities get first preference they get help from the government and applauded as "diverse" and "equal opportunity.

If you can't see that double standard that's your deal. However racism cuts both ways and shouldn't be used for or against any race, or gender for that matter.
I don't think your example is realistic. I don't know of any company that highlights either of your described hiring policies.

AA was meant to correct a wrong...the overwhelming discrimination blacks faced when looking for work. From the mindsets of many here, I can see that many believe in the old stand-by black stereotypes. If some of the folks on this board are in positions where they can hire/fire blacks, I can see how AA is beneficial. Not even sure why this is a debate anyway. If an employer doesn't want to hire a black person, many other reasons can be given to make that not happen.

Just curious....what are your thoughts on the fact that white women are the main beneficiaries of AA?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,386,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Did you read about the black flash mobs randomly beating up white guys? You know, just trying to be balanced here.

Blame the liberals I say. They are the ones adept at creating racial divisions in society so they can earn more votes from minorities and make them feel oppressed so they vote Democrat
In a thread about hate, you say a hateful statement.

Typical right-winger.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,959,673 times
Quote:
I don't think your example is realistic. I don't know of any company that highlights either of your described hiring policies.

AA was meant to correct a wrong...the overwhelming discrimination blacks faced when looking for work. From the mindsets of many here, I can see that many believe in the old stand-by black stereotypes. If some of the folks on this board are in positions where they can hire/fire blacks, I can see how AA is beneficial. Not even sure why this is a debate anyway. If an employer doesn't want to hire a black person, many other reasons can be given to make that not happen.

Just curious....what are your thoughts on the fact that white women are the main beneficiaries of AA?
I don't support any bias in hiring whether it's on the basis of race, gender, religion, culture, or creed. The only bias in hiring should be the "best person for the job." That being said, if a private business wants to be racist, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. If they only want to hire black/white/Latinos/etc then that's their right I believe. I don't support the government enforcing racism however.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,386,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I don't support any bias in hiring whether it's on the basis of race, gender, religion, culture, or creed. The only bias in hiring should be the "best person for the job." That being said, if a private business wants to be racist, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. If they only want to hire black/white/Latinos/etc then that's their right I believe. I don't support the government enforcing racism however.
The Constitution disagrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies