Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should food stamp recipients work for their benefits?
Yes 73 84.88%
No 7 8.14%
other - please explain 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,877,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Been saying this for decades....you can't get something for nothing unless you live in the U.S.A. ON WELFARE...
I guess you believe our men and women in uniform are on WELFARE, you should try it some time and get back to us and tell us how easy it is.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,961,843 times
Yes, I don't see why not.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,662,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Who are these skilled workers making $8 per hour?

I pay my gardener $15 per hour. Maybe I should find some of these $8 people and cut my gardening expenses.
I don't make $8 an hour, I make more but it is enough to cover my rent...and I live in a hole in the wall apartment infested with bugs in a Boston suburb.

My boyfriend is a skilled worker (laborer/landscaper) and makes $10/hr working part-time at a liquor store because he cannot find another job. He has 10 years of experience in Aviation...Can't even find a job in construction anymore.

Times are tough.

Where do you live? I am sure he would jump at the chance to work for you making that much. lol

Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,660,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I don't make $8 an hour, I make more but it is enough to cover my rent...and I live in a hole in the wall apartment infested with bugs in a Boston suburb.

My boyfriend is a skilled worker (laborer/landscaper) and makes $10/hr working part-time at a liquor store because he cannot find another job. He has 10 years of experience in Aviation...Can't even find a job in construction anymore.

Times are tough.

Where do you live? I am sure he would jump at the chance to work for you making that much. lol

Austin.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,166,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My boyfriend is a skilled worker (laborer/landscaper)
That is a skill position? I think of "skilled worker" and laborer/landscaper doesn't come to mind, people doing accounting etc. do.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,895,203 times
Quote:

I pay my gardener $15 per hour. Maybe I should find some of these $8 people and cut my gardening expenses.
At 8 dollars an hour, your expenses wouldn't be the only thing cut .. for that money, you'ld get your sprinkler system lines cut, cable cut, and other things cut too .. just saying

Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:

Maybe you should. My daughter made $10.40/hr doing childcare. She has some certifications in early childhood education.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,794,592 times
Some already do. Me and the wife collected WIC when I was in the Air Force as an E-4. We also qualified for food stamps, but she wouldn't let me get them, for some reason. I think it was pride.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
I see no problem requiring people to perform community service that receive food stamps, welfare or section 8.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,075,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Is it reasonable to ask people do a few hours work in exchange for their food stamp benefits?
Um, the majority already work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I guess you believe our men and women in uniform are on WELFARE, you should try it some time and get back to us and tell us how easy it is.
They are. Some of the military bases are located in areas that have extremely high cost-of-living. Military pay is based on rank and time in service/time in grade, and not based on cost-of-living, so many military families must apply for Food Stamps in order to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
At 8 dollars an hour, your expenses wouldn't be the only thing cut .. for that money, you'ld get your sprinkler system lines cut, cable cut, and other things cut too .. just saying
That's not true at all. $8/hour is Lower-Middle Class to Middle-Middle Class in many parts of the US.

The cost-of-living varies greatly across the US, and it even varies greatly within a State.

The federal government is way too stupid to understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I see no problem requiring people to perform community service that receive food stamps, welfare or section 8.
Um, the majority already do.

Section 8 is not "free" it is simply a portion of your income. For example, you were stupid and did not invest in a pension plan or 401(k) plan or save money for your retirement, and you did not invest in your own education, so you made low wages and so your Social Security benefit is only $1,183 per month. Section 8 simply says you cannot pay more than 1/3 of your income for rent, which would be about $390/month.

Cost-of-living varies from State to State and from city-to-city within a State. For example, here, a person can get a 1-bedroom on bus-line with quick access to 3 major interstates (I-71, I-74 and I-75), hospitals, down-town and such in a nice neighborhood with average or less than average crime rate for $350/month including heat, water and electricity.

You can splurge and get a larger 1-bedroom with amenities like a pool and weight room for $45/month more, but you'll also have to pay electricity (but heat and water are included).

Very obviously, Section 8 costs more depending on the city/State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies