Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,394,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes. I saw that on Drudge. Thanks for starting a thread on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM

45,268 posts, read 26,780,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Son of a gun. Instead of repealing NCLB they implement "waivers" to bypass the 100% proficiency by 2014.
NCLB is mandating perfection in schools by 2014..EVERY child will pass their tests..NO ONE is left behind.
And you wonder when you read of schools falsifying test scores. Now you know why..there's a gun to their heads...pass the kids or you get NO MONEY.

Why is it a bad law is never repealed..just bandaided over and over and over ?
My question is why is a bad dept. is not removed. The DOE doesn't work.

This is the difference between the public and private sector.

When operating thru government - the money is held over your head and the goal is to fulfill impersonal requirements. You can cheat a requirement. The government being the payer really doesn't care.

In the private sector - the money is held over your head and the goal is the kid's advancement. You can not cheat a parent observing whether or not a kid is learning. The parent being the payer does care. So it's in the school's interest for the kid to learn.

The kid improves in the private example - not the public example.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 AM

24,624 posts, read 19,043,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
At a time when state and local governments are slashing their education budgets with machetes, much to the glee of several posters who have already appeared on this thread, and to then turn around and bemoan that fact that many schools operating under such draconian cuts won't be able to meet the ill-advised and quite dubious standards established by NCLB... well it just another addition to today's moment of schadenfreude.
What would you know about education or about schools or school budgets?

90% of the Planet spends far less on education than the US does and yet they are kicking your ass up one side and down the other.

There isn't a single shred of evidence that shows any relationship between spending and outcome.

When I was in Burkino Faso, the "teacher" had one semester of university. That was all. She traveled from village to village, and the school (in this village) was a lean-to. It had no electricity, no books and no computers, and yet those kids could read, write and speak English better than American kids could. Those kids sat there and did their multiplication and division tables without books or computers.

Your school budgets can be slashed without affecting the quality of education. I enjoy terrorizing two of the school boards here, because people bring me the budget and I rip it to shreds, and then voters reject the levies, because they are unnecessary.

Yeah, Bill Gates gave schools $300,000 in computers for free, because he suckered them into $3 Million/year IT contracts.

You don't need computers in schools. Get rid of them. They are costly and do absolutely nothing to enhance education, and for those who want proof, again, I give you the rest of the world. 90% don't have computers, and 40% can't because he schools don't even have electricity.

In addition to computers and their huge expense, the social welfare budget is the next big killer in US schools. You either teach, or provide welfare services, because you cannot do both.

And you don't need books either. Most of the rest of the Planet doesn't use text books. Yes, for high school literature you need an anthology of drama, poetry and prose, and for sciences, but you don't need books for math or social sciences.

I can teach economics, US History, US Government and World History and I don't need a text book. I wouldn't even want a text book because the majority are so poorly written and mostly propaganda.

Your organization sucks too. Here in this county I live in, there are 23 school districts and 19 school districts have a single high school.

That is is redundancy and duplication. Combine some of districts, fire the administrators and send them home to sit on their duffs or work part-time at McDonald before you start taxing the snot out of people.

The Department of Education adds to the cost education with all of its silly unnecessary, vague and over-burdening rules and regulations which do nothing to enhance or improve the quality of education, but do cost a helluva lot of money for schools to comply.

You can slash the budgets, and they should be slashed to great dire necessity, because necessity is the mother of invention, and the only way the schools will re-invent themselves and get back to the business of education is take away their money.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,392,241 times
Quote:
At a time when state and local governments are slashing their education budgets with machetes, much to the glee of several posters who have already appeared on this thread, and to then turn around and bemoan that fact that many schools operating under such draconian cuts won't be able to meet the ill-advised and quite dubious standards established by NCLB... well it just another addition to today's moment of schadenfreude.
The US already spends more per student than most other nations and we still haven't seen improved student education, just more cheating,...from both students and teachers.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:27 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,251,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Right wingers are always railing about how evil the federal government is and how they need to stick their nose out of states and municipalities. They even call for abolishing the department of education. Now they cry and complain about this.

Yes, you can't make this stuff up.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What would you know about education or about schools or school budgets?

90% of the Planet spends far less on education than the US does and yet they are kicking your ass up one side and down the other.

There isn't a single shred of evidence that shows any relationship between spending and outcome.

When I was in Burkino Faso, the "teacher" had one semester of university. That was all. She traveled from village to village, and the school (in this village) was a lean-to. It had no electricity, no books and no computers, and yet those kids could read, write and speak English better than American kids could. Those kids sat there and did their multiplication and division tables without books or computers.

Your school budgets can be slashed without affecting the quality of education. I enjoy terrorizing two of the school boards here, because people bring me the budget and I rip it to shreds, and then voters reject the levies, because they are unnecessary.

Yeah, Bill Gates gave schools $300,000 in computers for free, because he suckered them into $3 Million/year IT contracts.

You don't need computers in schools. Get rid of them. They are costly and do absolutely nothing to enhance education, and for those who want proof, again, I give you the rest of the world. 90% don't have computers, and 40% can't because he schools don't even have electricity.

In addition to computers and their huge expense, the social welfare budget is the next big killer in US schools. You either teach, or provide welfare services, because you cannot do both.

And you don't need books either. Most of the rest of the Planet doesn't use text books. Yes, for high school literature you need an anthology of drama, poetry and prose, and for sciences, but you don't need books for math or social sciences.

I can teach economics, US History, US Government and World History and I don't need a text book. I wouldn't even want a text book because the majority are so poorly written and mostly propaganda.

Your organization sucks too. Here in this county I live in, there are 23 school districts and 19 school districts have a single high school.

That is is redundancy and duplication. Combine some of districts, fire the administrators and send them home to sit on their duffs or work part-time at McDonald before you start taxing the snot out of people.

The Department of Education adds to the cost education with all of its silly unnecessary, vague and over-burdening rules and regulations which do nothing to enhance or improve the quality of education, but do cost a helluva lot of money for schools to comply.

You can slash the budgets, and they should be slashed to great dire necessity, because necessity is the mother of invention, and the only way the schools will re-invent themselves and get back to the business of education is take away their money.
Some good points here.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

And all those "donated" computers threw Apple out of the schools.
Now they all run Windoze and have to be constantly virus checked and maintained. Yup Bill Gates came out a winner for a mere $300K investment.

The social welfare of students is becoming a bigger priority.
Breakfast/lunch/dinner, parent assistants who take the kids to the doctor, etc during school hours, condoms, in school day care centers for student's babies, welfare services signup offices in schools, and the list goes on.
Somewhere among all those social services and education there's a bit of academic curriculum going on.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
At a time when state and local governments are slashing their education budgets with machetes,....
Except many of these schools were cheating before the recent cuts....

08-09 school year.

Education Week: 2009 Report Identified Dozens of Pa. Schools for Possible Cheating

While most of these schools were inter city I know one of the schools considered tops in the area was implicated in this. Nice area with a lot of rich people.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,916,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And all those "donated" computers threw Apple out of the schools.
Now they all run Windoze and have to be constantly virus checked and maintained. Yup Bill Gates came out a winner for a mere $300K investment.

The social welfare of students is becoming a bigger priority.
Breakfast/lunch/dinner, parent assistants who take the kids to the doctor, etc during school hours, condoms, in school day care centers for student's babies, welfare services signup offices in schools, and the list goes on.
Somewhere among all those social services and education there's a bit of academic curriculum going on.
Don't forget teaching the chillrin about global warming!!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,916,193 times
Sadly the children being left behind are the smartest ones. See the education system in this country doesn't cater to the achievers but to the ones at the bottom. The class can't move on until they all understand the subject then on to the next. YOu got one twit who can't add two plus two the ones who got it from the jump sit around staring out the window until the idiot can get up to speed. Can't have somebody "feel" bad because they're stupid. That just wouldn't be fair. Sure they got some gifted programs but nothing that will make much of a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies