Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,645,514 times

Advertisements

And I can forgive myself over Japan becoz the tsunami was a supernatural event which was unfortunate.

But I can't forgive myself if I am stuck with financials. I remember how many pumpers scammed retail investors to buy BAC with every dip. People bought it at 15, 14, 12, 10, 9, 7 and now 6.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,821,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Anyway, from what I have read, everyone agrees recovery is to be seen only north of 2015 or so. Housing is key. The thumb rule is that, as long as housing is depressed, there is no recovery.
Then we are SOL....

If anyone expects housing to rebound back to the heady days of 2005-2007 they are dreaming.

Ever thought that THIS is the new reality?

Just because it was good before,doesn't mean it ever has to be like that again in our lifetimes...

Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,780,739 times
My own opinion is that recovery isn't tied to housing recovery or any other BS the media and other people talk about... Why isn't there a housing recovery and you will find the reason for the lack of economic recovery... not because of the housing depression... the housing depression is the victim of the source of the problem... but whatever... liberals will never figure it out, they always blame the "bad" sector without looking at the reason the sector is declining... and thus, what the REAL problem is.... its not inventory, prices, or problems getting a loan... but they like to use that to gain more idiots to their cause...

Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,819,375 times
If France does not have the Tea Party...how can France be blamed for the loss today?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Then we are SOL....

If anyone expects housing to rebound back to the heady days of 2005-2007 they are dreaming.

Ever thought that THIS is the new reality?

Just because it was good before,doesn't mean it ever has to be like that again in our lifetimes...
It's not going to, just like tech never going back to the dotcom days

Tech sector can get pummeled shortly, except consumer tech like AAPL. As a form of recession is kicking in again (at least acceptedly, given that more people are starting to accept it now), there will be a lot of reduced IT spending and that can put a dent on tech stocks.

Obama had a good vision. His team let him down. His insipid czars and Geithner to an extent squandered his money.

I personally believe that innovation is the only way America will be able to come out of this. Only innovation can generate money. And that innovation lies in alternate energy, the grid and electric cars. His alternate energy push was right on the target. Imagine Ford and GM putting out electric cars which take the world by the storm. But unfortunately, that innovation didn't happen and the alternate energy sector collapsed for a lot of reasons, the czars and poor execution taking most of the blame.

And any innovation the nuke energy sector could see was dented by Japan and the anti-nuke factions.

So, where is the innovation?

Even if housing were to recover, it won't be enough. We need a new form of industrial revolution. It happened in 1805 in Britain, 1905 in America, but never in 2005. Just China making products.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
It's not going to, just like tech never going back to the dotcom days

Tech sector can get pummeled shortly, except consumer tech like AAPL. As a form of recession is kicking in again (at least acceptedly, given that more people are starting to accept it now), there will be a lot of reduced IT spending and that can put a dent on tech stocks.

Obama had a good vision. His team let him down. His insipid czars and Geithner to an extent squandered his money.

I personally believe that innovation is the only way America will be able to come out of this. Only innovation can generate money. And that innovation lies in alternate energy, the grid and electric cars. His alternate energy push was right on the target. Imagine Ford and GM putting out electric cars which take the world by the storm. But unfortunately, that innovation didn't happen and the alternate energy sector collapsed for a lot of reasons, the czars and poor execution taking most of the blame.

And any innovation the nuke energy sector could see was dented by Japan and the anti-nuke factions.

Even if housing were to recover, it won't be enough. We need a new form of industrial revolution. It happened in 1805 in Britain, 1905 in America, but never in 2005. Just China making products.
My only beef with the President. He probably does not have the badass self of GW. GW is intimidating possibly. He and Hank Paulson collectively muscled Congress into doing TARP and bailing out wall street, failing which the US economy would have collapsed.

I cannot imagine this kind of tea party squabbling happening back then, with the DOW losing 1000/day. Thank God there were no tea party fringers with the democrats.

And Geithner did such a good job back then, he was key to the negotiations.

But the problems right now need super-human effort, and the political infighting did not help at all.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,821,532 times
Quote:

I don't think he had ANY vision,beyond being a 'rock star' President....

Quote:
I think that is because it is a dead end....electric cars require...electricity,produced by....power plants...that are powered by....coal,oil or nuclear.

Other energy sources are nice and 'could' alleviate a little of the need for oil/coal/nuke/etc but only on a very small scale.

Quote:
Things end....ever thought this is the beginning of the end?

Quote:
Even if housing were to recover, it won't be enough.
True,the bubbles never come back the same...and to be honest,we are out of bubbles....

Quote:
We need a new form of industrial revolution. It happened in 1805 in Britain, 1905 in America, but never in 2005. Just China making products.
Or a world war....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies