Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 PM

201 posts, read 234,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Who made a billion dollars on 10/1 bet that U.S. credit rating would be downgraded?

A mystery investor or hedge fund reportedly made a bet of almost $1billion at odds of 10/1 last month that the U.S. would lose its AAA credit rating.

Now questions are being asked of whether the trader had inside information before placing the $850million bet in the futures market.

The latest bet was made on July 21 on trades of 5,370 ten-year Treasury futures and 3,100 Treasury bond futures, reported ETF Daily News.

Now the investor’s gamble seems to have paid off after Standard and Poor’s issued a credit rating downgrade from AAA to AA+ last Friday.

Whoever it is stands to earn a 1,000 per cent return on their money, with the expectation that interest rates will be going up after the downgrade.

Not surprising – unfortunately.

Treasury prices on 10 year today "In afternoon action, the price of the 10-year Treasury was up 2 points and the yield tumbled to 2.34%, down from 2.55% on Friday."[LEFT]
Read more: Despite Downgrade, U.S. Still Towers Over Peers - FoxBusiness.com
[/LEFT]

so this rumor does not add up, and the paper that started it isn't worth bird-cage liner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,261,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Soros said he didn't do it and I don't know if he did or not but that's what he said... until there is more conclusive proof, I really don't know who did it and neither does your article... they are only assuming but nobody knows...
When did he deny it? Do you have a link?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Soros has a long history of collapsing currencies. I'd think those with whom Soros is closest to in our government should have their investments inspected. No doubt Soros's timing in dumping his other investors to avoid mandatory opening of his books was a timely move.
Well, it certainly looks suspect.

"Kenneth Schortgen connects the dots to Soros’s possible involvement:"

“While the identity of the ‘mystery investor’ remains unknown, many indicators do point to George Soros as the principal benefactor. First, Soros has been tied to the Obama administration since the 2008 elections. In February of this year in fact, a Soros investment fund profited well on President Obama’s new green energy policies. Secondly, right about the exact same time as the $1 Billion bet took place on the US credit rating downgrade, Soros made public the move to divest his management fund of outside investors, and quietly go private. This move allows him to make trades and investments without being required to notify the SEC under the new Dodd-Frank act passed in Congress last year."

Rumors: Soros is The Investor Who Made a Billion Dollar Bet on Downgrade | TheBlaze.com

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,182,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Who made a billion dollars on 10/1 bet that U.S. credit rating would be downgraded?

A mystery investor or hedge fund reportedly made a bet of almost $1billion at odds of 10/1 last month that the U.S. would lose its AAA credit rating.

Now questions are being asked of whether the trader had inside information before placing the $850million bet in the futures market.

The latest bet was made on July 21 on trades of 5,370 ten-year Treasury futures and 3,100 Treasury bond futures, reported ETF Daily News.

Now the investor’s gamble seems to have paid off after Standard and Poor’s issued a credit rating downgrade from AAA to AA+ last Friday.

Whoever it is stands to earn a 1,000 per cent return on their money, with the expectation that interest rates will be going up after the downgrade.

Not surprising – unfortunately.
This all sounds a lot like George Soros may have been the insider you are talking about. You know, string puller, Old Spooky Dude.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dang..maybe the same trader that did those airline options one day before 9/11.

No investor is a mystery to the SEC. Trades can be traced to the very person making that trade.
While the public may never know..the SEC knows exactly who initiated that trade.
And the SEC belongs to the puppet who old string puller Spooky Dude may use to make a pile.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Someone Made a Lot of Money Today ...
MY MOTHER !
She removed funds from the market and put them into GOLD . Prior to that she bought a few rental properties .
I sure hope she gets rid of some of that gold before it is too late.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno about that. Both Moody's and Fitch continued with the AAA rating.
The S&P was a shocker out of left field.
They failed so badly on some of the power failures long ago and they totally missed the Fannie and Freddie debacle so they are trying to get even for those things.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"In the first trading day following S&P’s announcement that the U.S. government credit rating would go from Triple-A down to AA+, U.S. stocks have sharply declined and investors are scrambling to rid themselves of risky assets. With Wall Street in disarray, one investor is smiling after having walked away from the crisis possibly 10 billion dollars richer. ETF Daily News reports that the investor bet on the downgrade, and is now heavily benefiting from it..."

Rumors: Soros is The Investor Who Made a Billion Dollar Bet on Downgrade | TheBlaze.com
Well, I'll be damned. I said Soros before I saw your post. Every here has to know that he has folded the economies of a number of countries and sure wants to do it to us.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Well, I'll be damned. I said Soros before I saw your post. Every here has to know that he has folded the economies of a number of countries and sure wants to do it to us.
It would be no surprise at all. I wonder if we will ever get the proof?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
It would be no surprise at all. I wonder if we will ever get the proof?
We never will. We were never told who did those airline options pre 9/11.
We won't be told but the insiders all know who did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies