Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

29,978 posts, read 18,545,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
And replace him with who exactly?

A sock puppet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,730,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I'm trying to figure out something GOOD that he has done. Gas prices up, debt out of control, the housing crisis, etc. I know he inherited a lot of problems, but damn...it we can't cure the problems, at least slow them down!
How do you propose he do that when 80% of his legislation efforts for his entire Presidency have been filibustered by Republicans?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,125,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I'm trying to figure out something GOOD that he has done. Gas prices up, debt out of control, the housing crisis, etc. I know he inherited a lot of problems, but damn...it we can't cure the problems, at least slow them down!
Gas prices are down. Debt was out of control way before he took office. The housing crisis occurred before he took office, we are just suffering its ramifications now. I'm not defending Obama, I'm just putting those facts in the proper perspective.

I see no reason for Obama to resign as I don't hold him entirely accountable for all that's happened. It is foolish to assign blame to just one person because it simultaneously implies that we Americans have no power, that we gave it all to one person, something I sincerely do not want to be true. While his rhetoric is laudable, he really knows how to say the right centrist things, he now needs to get tough by calling Congress back from its vacation and sit in the Capitol with them, lock the doors, and reach agreements on live television.

I was hoping for a more aggressive approach in today's speech but it was same old same old. Aside from the above improbable spectacle in the Capitol, two things will win favor with me and just might insure his reelection: rescind the Bush tax cuts immediately and bring the troops home by Christmas.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM

886 posts, read 2,216,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiyero View Post
how do you propose he do that when 80% of his legislation efforts for his entire presidency have been filibustered by republicans?
this

Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM

800 posts, read 778,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How do you propose he do that when 80% of his legislation efforts for his entire Presidency have been filibustered by Republicans?
Sources please

Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Gas prices are down. Debt was out of control way before he took office. The housing crisis occurred before he took office, we are just suffering its ramifications now. I'm not defending Obama, I'm just putting those facts in the proper perspective.

I see no reason for Obama to resign as I don't hold him entirely accountable for all that's happened. It is foolish to assign blame to just one person because it simultaneously implies that we Americans have no power, that we gave it all to one person, something I sincerely do not want to be true. While his rhetoric is laudable, he really knows how to say the right centrist things, he now needs to get tough by calling Congress back from its vacation and sit in the Capitol with them, lock the doors, and reach agreements on live television.

I was hoping for a more aggressive approach in today's speech but it was same old same old. Aside from the above improbable spectacle in the Capitol, two things will win favor with me and just might insure his reelection: rescind the Bush tax cuts immediately and bring the troops home by Christmas.
This is where he should have had some backbone. I don't blame Obama for what we currently have to do deal with, but I think he needs to grow a pair and do a few things.

End the wars, we got Osama, and thats what the majority of people wanted. We don't need to have thousands of troops there, just leave special ops units.

He never should have extended the Bush tax cuts, period.

He should have raised the debt ceiling himself, and invoked the constitution. It NEVER should have been allowed to get as close as it was.

Thats my biggest problem with him... he doesn't have the guts to stand up to republicans

Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Sources please
Fareed's Take: We've downgraded ourselves – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
The filibuster, historically employed about once a decade, is now a routine procedure that allows the minority to thwart the will of the majority. In 2009, Senate Republicans filibustered a stunning 80% of major legislation. Given how the chamber is composed - two Senators per state, no matter how thinly populated - people representing just 10% of the country can block all legislation.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,470,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
This is where he should have had some backbone. I don't blame Obama for what we currently have to do deal with, but I think he needs to grow a pair and do a few things.

End the wars, we got Osama, and thats what the majority of people wanted. We don't need to have thousands of troops there, just leave special ops units.

He never should have extended the Bush tax cuts, period.

He should have raised the debt ceiling himself, and invoked the constitution. It NEVER should have been allowed to get as close as it was.

Thats my biggest problem with him... he doesn't have the guts to stand up to republicans
Yes, he does need to "release the hounds" on the Republicans and TPers and put them in their place.

Overall, I am happy with President Obama and he will get my vote in 2012.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,584,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A sock puppet
Or for that matter..just a sock

Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,825,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Gas prices are down. Debt was out of control way before he took office. The housing crisis occurred before he took office, we are just suffering its ramifications now. I'm not defending Obama, I'm just putting those facts in the proper perspective.............
No, you spun the "facts" into untruths.

Gas prices are doubled from when Obama took office. Debt is up 35% from when he took office. Foreclosures are significantly higher from when he took office and they'd be even higher had he not placed a "freeze" on FHA foreclosures thus keeping the residential RE market on the 2nd government induced bubble since he took office. Obama's 1st RE bubble was the disasterous "1st time buyer credit". Real unemployment is closer to 20%, much worse since Obama's failed "jobs stimulus".

Get it yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies