Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do we avoid a double dip?
Cut taxes on the rich 19 40.43%
Repeal EPA, FDA, and all wall street regulation 20 42.55%
Cut entitlements, unemployment, and education 22 46.81%
Raise taxes on the 47% of people who don't pay anything 32 68.09%
Repeal the minimum wage 16 34.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,134,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
We need to decide what kind of country we are. I am leery of an attempt to vilify the rich, because most of the time the rich who are manipulating our government aren't mentioned. Most want to condemn the millionaire, not realizing it is the fascist manipulation of the tax laws by the top .05% who are really to blame. The income disparity, even in the top 10%, is alarming. The top 1% are the ones who drive policy in this country. What we have is not even remotely close to a free market system.
Agreed. Now, how about a flat consumption tax on everyone, including the top 1%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,949,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Since conservatives are the only ones who can fix our economy, what should the koch brothers... *cough ahem* I mean tea party do to ensure that we don't enter a double dip recession?
another skewed poll..... Why not tax the rich, tax the 47% that pay no income tax, eliminate capital gains and tax them as ordinary income?

We don't have a double dip now, and may not have one.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,172,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The investors in that firm will lose all their money because the company lied about its earnings. That's not "fixing" the problem, that is the problem.

Only a complete idiot would invest in shares of a firm, knowing that the earnings could easily be fake. You'd have no market left.

Plus like a typical Tea Party poster, you skipped the hard question, which was: if deregulation of financial markets is such a great idea, why aren't Tea Partiers speaking out against fractional reserve banking? That is heavily regulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If only Enron were harmed, you might have half a point. But many investors were hurt, as well as innocent Enron employees.
So do your due diligence before investing in a firm. Believe it or not, some of us research before investing. Some of us put EFFORT into our finances, rather than just blindly trusting the government to regulate and protect us from harm. Novel idea, isn't it?

I am far from a 'tea partier'. Please don't lump me in with those idiots. I have been a registered independent my entire life and have never voted for a conservative in a national election. I believe in the free market, and I believe in economic theory (coincidentally, please pick up a few economics books..it will help)

I am for de-regulating ALL industries. Including removing regulations on fractional reserves.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,642,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So do your due diligence before investing in a firm. Believe it or not, some of us research before investing. Some of us put EFFORT into our finances, rather than just blindly trusting the government to regulate and protect us from harm. Novel idea, isn't it?
So how would you determine whether or not, say, General Electric was lying about its earnings? I'm curious what your "due diligence" entails.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
So how would you determine whether or not, say, General Electric was lying about its earnings? I'm curious what your "due diligence" entails.
Just the standard stuff...historical actions of top members, voting records of shareholders, if financial metrics match industry benchmarks, do reported earnings align with customer reports of sales, just the standard corporate finance stuff really.

I can recommend a few good books on the subject if you are interested. Fiscal due diligence is pretty straight forward. The problem is that no one knows finance (we teach art in public schools but not accounting or finance, crazy, right?)

Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,628,504 times
Tax the parasites who put us here. We extended the tax cuts and there are less jobs now, they aren't trickling

Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,909,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Tax the parasites who put us here. We extended the tax cuts and there are less jobs now, they aren't trickling
How about tackling a real problem and looking to the parasites streaming over from the place "you can see from your front door".

Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Just the standard stuff...historical actions of top members, voting records of shareholders, if financial metrics match industry benchmarks, do reported earnings align with customer reports of sales, just the standard corporate finance stuff really.
Without regulations, they could be lying about the historical actions of top members, not showing the voting records of shareholders, failing to report any financial metrics, lying about their reported earnings and their sales.

So no, you couldn't do any of that "due diligence." That's the point.

Quote:
I can recommend a few good books on the subject if you are interested.
LOL. Please. I don't want to be exposed to any of the nonsense that you have.

Quote:
Fiscal due diligence is pretty straight forward. The problem is that no one knows finance (we teach art in public schools but not accounting or finance, crazy, right?)
I actually get a kick out of how condescending you are.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Without regulations, they could be lying about the historical actions of top members, not showing the voting records of shareholders, failing to report any financial metrics, lying about their reported earnings and their sales.

So no, you couldn't do any of that "due diligence." That's the point.
There are obviously downsides, but the current state of the world shows that regulation obviously is not working.

Quote:
LOL. Please. I don't want to be exposed to any of the nonsense that you have.

I actually get a kick out of how condescending you are.
So you don't want to educate yourself with books recommended to be the top reads in the fields of finance and economics? You would rather argue based purely on your opinion? Got it.

It is not condescending when I have studied these subjects and you blatantly refuse to educate yourself. Look - I am a nerd...I read a LOT. If you have literature (books, articles, ANYTHING) to back up what you say, please tell me and I will read it. Here is the thing though, I want academic literature - not biased articles from some major news source. If you want, I can give you the names of the books and articles I have read. Is it too much for me to ask you to back up what you are saying?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
There are obviously downsides
LOL

your response: "there are obviously downsides." understatement of the year.

Quote:
It is not condescending when I have studied these subjects and you blatantly refuse to educate yourself. Look - I am a nerd...I read a LOT.
I also read... a LOT. That fact doesn't absolve me of having to construct a cogent argument of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies