Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,559,367 times

Advertisements

Riots: the underclass lashes out - Telegraph

Quote:
The real causes are more insidious. It is no coincidence that the worst violence London has seen in many decades takes place against the backdrop of a global economy poised for freefall. The causes of recession set out by J K Galbraith in his book, The Great Crash 1929, were as follows: bad income distribution, a business sector engaged in “corporate larceny”, a weak banking structure and an import/export imbalance.
Pittsburgh has an underclass, and it is capable of lawless violent anarchy. I predict there will be fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,059,892 times
I fear you are correct.

I think there will come a day when many Americans will be shocked to the core when they see masses in the streets. These people will be eaten alive by the mobs.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,841,904 times
LOL... Too funny. The media is working hard on such a thing.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:52 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,696,233 times
What is happening in London won't happen in any capacity. The riots were in response to a policeman shooting a civilian unjustly. Here in the US we have the highest rate of police brutality in the western world without a single protest. When comparing the English to the American mindset you are really comparing apples to oranges
Apathy will reign supreme in these situations as it has for years.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,841,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
What is happening in London won't happen in any capacity. The riots were in response to a policeman shooting a civilian unjustly. Here in the US we have the highest rate of police brutality in the western world without a single protest. When comparing the English to the American mindset you are really comparing apples to oranges
We don't take kindly to those against the police and it is actually a good thing. Most of the time the police are just keeping order and the ones that get beat up usually deserve it. Repeat offenders.

I applaud the police and hope if something happens they just revert to Marshall Law.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,059,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Wait until there is a cut in government benefits, then see how people react to police brutality.

As I said, I think it's coming someday. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong about that, but I think it would be foolish to believe that it can't/won't happen here.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,854,426 times
The rioting is in North London, Tottenham [go hotspurs] area , if you know anything about the demographics of that area, it is mostly recent immigrants & ones of the variety that have no desire to integrate into traditional english society (though are all for taking advantage of its benefits). - somewhat similiar to the rioting that occurred in Paris a couple of years ago.
Pittsburgh is pretty much void of such demographics - the incident goes much beyond simply cutting of benefits and being underclass.
So, no, there are 0 indications that anything of the sort has any liklihood of occurring here.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM

I'm wouldn't agree these riots are about undigested immigrants (as opposed to an underclass composed of Englishmen and foreigners together) for four reasons. First, I lived in the Borough of Haringey (Bounds Green, not far from Tottenham) for a period and know the area reasonably well - there are many immigrants in the area, but it's not a solidly foreign district in the way the rebellious Paris banlieu are, and most of the working class is English or people long settled in England (e.g. Cypriots who arrived in the 70s). Second, having spent some time studying the available video, I can assert that the number of white faces among the mob is about the same as the number of dark. Third, the reportage seems clear that these are not solely or even mostly "immigrant riots". Fourth, the riots have now spread widely across London, with looting in places like Ealing, Lavender Hill, Croydon and even Tower Bridge which have some immigrants but are not notably "immigrant areas".

In other words, no, this isn't about immigrants - this is an uprising of the proles.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM

London riots: all incidents mapped in Tottenham, Brixton, Hackney, Lewisham and Greater London - Telegraph

Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,632,360 times
Quote:
What is happening in London won't happen in any capacity. The riots were in response to a policeman shooting a civilian unjustly. Here in the US we have the highest rate of police brutality in the western world without a single protest.
I guess you're not old enough to remember the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

1992 Los Angeles riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here are some more:

Category:Riots and civil unrest in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies