Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do YOU want to pay more taxes?
Yes. I want to pay more and I pay extra now to help the national debt. 15 71.43%
No. I want OTHER people to pay more, but not me. 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM

4,073 posts, read 4,116,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I put yes, but only because I donate a dollar or two to the presidential election fund or whatever it is. I am still naive enough to think that the little guy can run for President.

However, I am thankful to have a job, and I want to pay forward (say 5-7%) so that my son has social security and medicare, and does not see a 50% tax hike to pay for my lazy buns in 30 years. I know that the demographic pressures of the retiring boomers are going to be the biggest drain our country has ever seen, and I believe it is our responsibility to use our demographic mass (large voting leverage) to strengthen our country, not to sink it. I see the exact opposite, the most privileged and coddled generation in American history seems to not care much for the next one. That is also why I loathe the Tea Partiers so much. They have theirs, so screw the kids.

I will say, I support efforts for cutting waste along with taxes.
Social security was started at 1% if I am not mistaken. They only apply to wage of employee. The idea was those who can run a business is able to take care of themselves. But then, it extended to self employed, and they pay double. Then much later it goes from 1% and now we have 6.2% (12.4% if self employed).

If anyone think this is not a tax and not a ponzi scheme, they are not living in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,645,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I put yes, but only because I donate a dollar or two to the presidential election fund or whatever it is. I am still naive enough to think that the little guy can run for President.

However, I am thankful to have a job, and I want to pay forward (say 5-7%) so that my son has social security and medicare, and does not see a 50% tax hike to pay for my lazy buns in 30 years. I know that the demographic pressures of the retiring boomers are going to be the biggest drain our country has ever seen, and I believe it is our responsibility to use our demographic mass (large voting leverage) to strengthen our country, not to sink it. I see the exact opposite, the most privileged and coddled generation in American history seems to not care much for the next one. That is also why I loathe the Tea Partiers so much. They have theirs, so screw the kids.

I will say, I support efforts for cutting waste along with taxes.
You said it better than I could. I have no idea what the Tea Party's plan is to pay for Medicare.

It's the damnedest thing, though, you can post about other issues, and Tea Partiers will come from far and wide to argue with you. You start talking about Medicare, what we're going to cut, how we're going to pay for it, and you don't hear a peep from them.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 AM

15,583 posts, read 10,314,512 times
Unfortunately, my baby boomer generation has made a mess of things. A terrible mess. I will admit that.

That being said, the poll above is interesting. People who consistently call for higher federal taxes never seem to mention a raise of their own, just the other person's. Hypocritical in my opinion. Everyone should have skin in the game if they want to play.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,569,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
But do you pay extra voluntarily and I don't mean an extra dollar for the election fund or a support the parks license plate fee. I mean do you pay a serious amount extra on your own?

Nope.

You?

Heck, I already pay more taxes than General Electric and some Wall St firms. They have billions more in their bank accounts than I do. I'd like to see them ante up first. What do you think?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,584,577 times
Question, for those of you who want to raise taxes, how much revenue do you expect to generate with these higher taxes, where do want them to come from, and what does that translate to in terms of dollars and cents. Everybody keeps talking about increased revenue. I would like to know how much US American Dollars that will equate to?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,638,792 times
loaded question..

the best answer for me would be;
sure I don't mind paying extra but I would LIKE it if the FED GOV did a better job spending the extra I give... wishful thinking, I know!

The biggest problem I have with paying more taxes is that I don't trust that the FEDs will use the extra funds wisely... in fact I am fairly certain they will NOT use it wisely!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,630,809 times
1. Remove the cap from the wage tax that will stabilize Social Security and will cost me nothing

2. a 5 cent tax on each share of stock traded would pay off the deficit and not cost me a penny

3. Let the Bush Tax cuts expire, that will cost me nothing

in return:

Cap Federal Salaries at $250,000 including military

Freeze all foriegn aid

Withdraw from NATO

Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 AM

6,665 posts, read 9,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'd be willing to pay more if Washington proved they could be responsible with spending. In the current state of things, more tax revenue just means more money politicians will waste.

EXACTLY! I tend to agree with the Tea Party more often than not, but I WOULD be willing to pay more in taxes IF the extra revenue would actually be used to pay down the debt. Sadly, I think our politicians would simply waste any extra revenue, so I don't support tax increases.

ALSO, I don't think ANYONE should receive a (federal) tax return that is MORE THAN what they paid in taxes for the previous year.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 08-09-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM

45,064 posts, read 26,238,948 times
The government has never been able to keep within a budget and will simply print more money if the need arises.

Wilfully giving them more of yours is absolute folly.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,645,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
When you say taxes should be increased, do you want them increased on you? Do you realize you can pay extra taxes if you want to?

DO YOU want to be taxed more or do you just want OTHER people to be taxed more?
i think corporations need to pay more in taxes - preferably by getting rid of all these credits and deductions.

their official "tax rate" is 35% but they don't actually pay that. Last I heard the effective tax rate for business was 13%, due to all the deductions and credits they get. THIS is what kills jobs -- malinvestment and economic distortion, caused by the federal government creating tax preferences for certain activities. It strangles the free market and makes us less competitive, just like these "regulations" everybody b*tches about.

The typical wage earner has had to pick up the slack.

Of course, Eric Cantor says that lowering the corporate tax rate will create jobs. If Eric says it is true, it must be true. Eric is never wrong.

[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies