Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do YOU want to pay more taxes?
Yes. I want to pay more and I pay extra now to help the national debt. 15 71.43%
No. I want OTHER people to pay more, but not me. 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,378,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
When you say taxes should be increased, do you want them increased on you? Do you realize you can pay extra taxes if you want to?

DO YOU want to be taxed more or do you just want OTHER people to be taxed more?

Government - Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Debt

There are two ways for you to make a contribution to reduce the debt:
  • You can make a contribution online either by credit card, checking or savings account at Pay.gov
  • You can write a check payable to the Bureau of the Public Debt, and in the memo section, notate that it's a Gift to reduce the Debt Held by the Public. Mail your check to:

Attn Dept G
    Bureau of the Public Debt
    P. O. Box 2188
    Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188
I'm perfectly willing to see the Bush cuts expire.
And, I do contribute to our state and local government. I give to state parks and local schools.

I also contribute to the National Park foundation.

I'm not above the $250,000 adjusted gross income level but I do think their taxes should be raised to Clinton levels and maybe even have another level say greater than $5,000,000 adjusted gross that has a higher rate than the $250,000 level.

But as I said, if nothing else, the Bush cuts should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
ALSO, I don't think ANYONE should receive a (federal) tax return that is MORE THAN what they paid in taxes for the previous year.
That would require complete elimination of ALL deductions. The question then would be, do you care about deductions applied by only those who make less, those make a lot but don't pay any taxes or everybody including those who do?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM

6,649 posts, read 9,198,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That would require complete elimination of ALL deductions. The question then would be, do you care about deductions applied by only those who make less, those make a lot but don't pay any taxes or everybody including those who do?
That would be fine. I think the tax code should be simplified and many of the loopholes should be closed. I also think that EVERYONE should pay SOMETHING, even if it's only like 2-4% at the absolute lowest end. I just don't have the confidence in our politicians in Washington to actually come up with a reasonable solution.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM

20,406 posts, read 12,296,313 times
I voted no but, the no option is dumb. it isnt about "other people paying".

It is about controling spending. Cut spending to an acceptable level that meets the revenue coming in and we fix this.

If at that point there are things we need to do in the area of spending, THEN take a look at what can be done to increase revenue to match the NEW spending level.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,614,946 times
Start with 100% tax at $1 million dollars and give them a deduction for each job they """Create""" in the United States

Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
That would be fine. I think the tax code should be simplified and many of the loopholes should be closed. I also think that EVERYONE should pay SOMETHING, even if it's only like 2-4% at the absolute lowest end. I just don't have the confidence in our politicians in Washington to actually come up with a reasonable solution.
The devil is usually in the details.

And, why many? Are there specific areas you would rather not touch?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM

20,406 posts, read 12,296,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Start with 100% tax at $1 million dollars and give them a deduction for each jon they """Create""" in the United States

Lets run with this and see where it takes us.

So let’s use a really meanie of a company. Let’s go with Exxon.

Exxon has a stock price of $70.10. That price is based on a number of things and among them two of the most important are
Future Earnings potential and Dividends paid.

Under your plan, we cap Exxon’s future earnings at 1 million dollars.
The price of their stock is based on the fact that they earn billions every year. Stock just took a plunge.
Exxon has more than 4 billion shares of stock out there. The last dividend payment was in the area of $.47 per share.

At 4 billion shares of stock, if the full 1 million in allowed profit is given to shareholders the next dividend will be $.00025 per share.
Stock just took another plunge.

Now the stock is worth less than the paper it is printed on.

But Exxon is not the only company in this boat. EVERY corporation with stock is in the same boat. You just killed every single stock in the country.
NOW every single American with any retirement plan that includes investments has just lost EVERYTHING.

Exactly how is this going to help America recover?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,531,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

Lets run with this and see where it takes us.

So let’s use a really meanie of a company. Let’s go with Exxon.

Exxon has a stock price of $70.10. That price is based on a number of things and among them two of the most important are
Future Earnings potential and Dividends paid.

Under your plan, we cap Exxon’s future earnings at 1 million dollars.
The price of their stock is based on the fact that they earn billions every year. Stock just took a plunge.
Exxon has more than 4 billion shares of stock out there. The last dividend payment was in the area of $.47 per share.

At 4 billion shares of stock, if the full 1 million in allowed profit is given to shareholders the next dividend will be $.00025 per share.
Stock just took another plunge.

Now the stock is worth less than the paper it is printed on.

But Exxon is not the only company in this boat. EVERY corporation with stock is in the same boat. You just killed every single stock in the country.
NOW every single American with any retirement plan that includes investments has just lost EVERYTHING.

Exactly how is this going to help America recover?
I'm pretty sure that poster was talking about one million in PERSONAL income not corporate income.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,964,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Your poll is a failure.

I refuse to vote in polls that are worded like that. It is an obvious biased poll.
You got that right!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,964,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
Sorry, it is for the people who always insist taxes should be higher. I think they like to spout that, but THEY don't actually want to pay it themselves.

People are not insisting taxes should be higher. Point me out to these so called people.

The corporations have had their cuts for years, the so called job creators.

Let the corporations pay some of the federal debt, the thief's in our financial markets, just take a look what has happened, it doesn't matter how much the market drops, they aren't losing a penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies