Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,645,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
To be fair to Obama, he was suckered into believing the propaganda peddled by the likes of Arthur Schlesinger about FDR and the New Deal--that Keynesian economics got us out of the Great Depression. Most reputable historians now know that that was not true and that, in fact, FDR took a bad situation and made it worse, thus unnecessarily prolonging the depression.
I'd love to hear who these "reputable historians" are.

I'm expecting the classic GOP response: "Go find them yourself."

I happen to believe that the real problem with Obama's failures are not due to Keynesian policy, but rather that he listens to people who still believe in Friedman's ideas about how money is created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM

20,408 posts, read 12,316,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Oh wait, is this one of those wingnut sayings?

Something like, "corporations don't pay taxes, they are passed on to consumers" ?

Which is equally as stupid as the saying that "People don't pay taxes, they are passed on to corporations in the form of lower sales revenue."
wow! maybe you can educate me. I have been asking for some time with no answers....

Please help me understand this.

How does a corporation pay taxes without passing that along to its consumers?

We know that in America less than 10% of the population is really rich. no more than 30% are wealthy enough not to have money concerns....

So when a corporation passes the tax along to its consumers, it is a regressive tax.

come on le roi, fix this helpless wingnut....tell me how a business pays taxes without adding that cost to the price of their goods and services.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
If they have to raise their prices to pay your tax on your purchases, and lose sales as a result, they are paying a tax.

LOL. to stay in business, every business must charge more for their goods and services than they have in costs. ALL Taxes are 100% cost.

businesses are in the business of making money. taxes notwithstanding.

they pass 100% of the tax and all other expenses to their customers unless they are selling some "loss leader" but even then, the goal with the loss leader is to draw in customers to buy other things with high margins.

You get an F for your answer.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
wow! maybe you can educate me. I have been asking for some time with no answers....

Please help me understand this.

How does a corporation pay taxes without passing that along to its consumers?
By cutting into profit.

It's sort of like how I have to make sacrifices in order to pay my income taxes. I am "passing along" those taxes to corporations in the form of decreased sales.

The question is: Why are corporations more entitled to keep their profits, than I am to keep my own wages?

Quote:
We know that in America less than 10% of the population is really rich.
I'd say it's more like 0.01 - 0.1%, but that depends on how you measure it, and what you consider 'rich'.

Quote:
no more than 30% are wealthy enough not to have money concerns....
I think that has more to do with personal psychology and spending habits, than income.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,280,299 times
Quote:
LOL. to stay in business, every business must charge more for their goods and services than they have in costs. ALL Taxes are 100% cost.

businesses are in the business of making money. taxes notwithstanding.

they pass 100% of the tax and all other expenses to their customers unless they are selling some "loss leader" but even then, the goal with the loss leader is to draw in customers to buy other things with high margins.

You get an F for your answer.
Yeah, taxes are just another cost of doing business, and cost of living.

Man, I coulda aced economics, if I wanted to.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
By cutting into profit.

It's sort of like how I have to make sacrifices in order to pay my income taxes. I am "passing along" those taxes to corporations in the form of decreased sales.

I'd say it's more like 0.01 - 0.1%, but that depends on how you measure it, and what you consider 'rich'.

I think that has more to do with personal psychology and spending habits, than income.

LOL! cutting into profit. so long as they MAKE profit, they have passed 100% of all expenses to the customer. The CUSTOMER is paying 100% of the tax and all other expenses. and regardless of what % of the people are right (you make a better case than I for no corp. tax), corporate taxes are regressive, hurting the poor and middle income people far more than the wealthy.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
LOL! cutting into profit. so long as they MAKE profit, they have passed 100% of all expenses to the customer. The CUSTOMER is paying 100% of the tax and all other expenses. and regardless of what % of the people are right (you make a better case than I for no corp. tax), corporate taxes are regressive, hurting the poor and middle income people far more than the wealthy.
LOL

so i respond with a correct answer, and you stick your fingers in your ears and repeat your ideology aloud.

and you didn't even give me an answer to my question -- why are corporations more entitled to their profits, than I am to my own wages?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, taxes are just another cost of doing business, and cost of living.

Man, I coulda aced economics, if I wanted to.

come on friend, please try again. if you are right and corporations pay taxes without passing that cost along to their customers, explain it.

elucidate us! I am ready to learn!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,280,299 times
Quote:

There is a pretty hefty tax on lemonade sales throughout the country.

All the stands went bankrupt.

Taxes kill, man.

‪LEMONADE FREEDOM DAY - August 20 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM

852 posts, read 1,353,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Let's face it: the U.S. is in a TERRIBLE financial mess right now. The stock market is falling, unemployment is high, our debt is extremely high and people are terrified about the country's economic future.

Obama's approval rating is at its lowest point - 43%. So, is he done? Should he step down from the presidency and let someone with real leadership skills and ability take over?
Historically, there are several examples of Presidents being re-elected despite an approval rating in the mid-to-low 40's at this point in their first term. Whether Obama gets re-elected is still in the air. If unemployment improves, the stock markets make up some ground, he has a chance. The other x factor is the GOP candidate.

Your second question suggests he should go the way of Sarah Palin and just quit. Like it or not, he was elected for four years so he should and will complete his term. If for some reason, he couldn't complete his term (either willingly or unwillingly), Joe Biden would assume the office of the POTUS. For some reason, I don't think those on the right would be any more pleased with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies