Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,384,917 times

Advertisements

I have been reading in various industry papers that US manufacturing is beginning to make a comeback. One article today in the WWD states that fashion apparel and textile production runs are up in Los Angeles and NYC, and are returning based on the fact that companies want to be closer to their supply source rather than using a company overseas.

Linked here: This article is only available by subscription: New York, Los Angeles Push Production Upswing - Government and Trade - Business - WWD.com

There are signs in other industries that manufacturing is returning to the United States.

Here is an article from the NY times:

Can Manufacturing Fuel a U.S. Recovery?

Manufacturing Is on the Upswing in the U.S. - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

While some want to discuss the negatives this could be a sector that helps to rebuild our economy by putting Americans back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,825,880 times
June manufacturing numbers were well below expectations. FED has just come out with a depressed outlook with weak growth for the US economy though mid-2013.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,823,667 times
I read that GE was going to reduce outsourcing. I posted the link in the Employment forum.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,158,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I read that GE was going to reduce outsourcing. I posted the link in the Employment forum.
It is exactly the opposite.....

GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt, The Head Of Obama’s Jobs Council, Is Moving Jobs And Economic Infrastructure To China At A Blistering Pace

Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,432,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
June manufacturing numbers were well below expectations. FED has just come out with a depressed outlook with weak growth for the US economy though mid-2013.
Glass half empty ^^. I'm sure if there was an "R" in office you'd be explaining the difficulty in getting a country going post recession.

The bottom line is that we are adding jobs, we are growing and manufacturing is moving up. Albeit it slower than we had anticipated, it's still good news.

There are a couple of issues here that should be addressed. One is the fast good mentality of the everyday American. This took a long time to get into and will take a while to get out of. I feel as long as we have high RE inventory and banks with toxic debt, we will still move along slowly.

The other is that the GOP simply sees this as a means to attack rather than support America's recovery. Slow growth is not a recession, nor is it the end of the world, but you could never tell them that. Even on good news, manufacturing for instance, they'll spin it into something bad.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,293,259 times
This thread is in the wrong section..... Needs moved to the joke section !

Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 PM

I think you're just looking for the negatives.

The truth is that he never said he was moving jobs out of the U.S. at a blistering pace.

That blog isn't accurate because it's opinion. But this quote of his is - which was linked to the blog.

Quote:
Immelt said he is committed to working with Obama on other moves that can help hiring, and that he expects to have proposals by the end of the year that should help to create up to 1 million jobs. But he said that it's important that businesses take action -- like taking some risks, and thinking about bringing back jobs that had been moved overseas. If companies examine the changing economics of some of those jobs, Immelt said they would find it is beneficial to bring jobs back home, which he said GE has done with some jobs now being moved back to Kentucky and Michigan.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/11/news...mmit/index.htm

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
This thread is in the wrong section..... Needs moved to the joke section !
I don't know why so many people are happy to see the demise of this nation.

Does it make sense that the USA should be unsuccessful?

Seems like people have a wish that the nation goes down the tubes.

I don't. Nobody benefits when the nation is in economic failure mode.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,293,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't know why so many people are happy to see the demise of this nation.

Does it make sense that the USA should be unsuccessful?

Seems like people have a wish that the nation goes down the tubes.

I don't. Nobody benefits when the nation is in economic failure mode.
The US's fate was sealed when the people allowed the gov to institute the Fed Res Bank..... and our debt based economy. Failure is the ONLY outcome from that act !

I don't wish the US to go down the tubes... I want to see THE PEOPLE rise together to abolish the slavery which en-prisons and terrorizes us all, the debt based economy. Until it is done away with, failure IS our future. Better warm up to that reality !

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,075,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
They must have been reading my posts here on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies