Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Ultimate nihilism.
Not really. It is called logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Not really. It is called logic.
Logic does not differentiate between good and evil.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Thoughts on these two articles?

Source: Dambisa Moyo: Cut Off Aid to Africa
Source: Weaning Africa Off Aid - Forbes.com
Cut off all foreign aid to every nation.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM

674 posts, read 698,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Cut off all foreign aid to every nation.
Sounds good to me! Charity should be voluntary. Liberal bleeding hearts feel that they have the right to dig deep.....as long as it's my pockets they're digging in rather than their own. It's only logical that if they feel so strongly about the causes they claim to support that they be the first to put their money where their mouths are.

I want to give more for the causes I believe in and zero to the causes others believe in. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to more people.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM

943 posts, read 782,428 times
It depends on the type of aid. Aid that is spent on basic infrastructure(road, bridges, streets, energy) or immunizations is good. But aid in other areas can be a problem.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Sounds good to me! Charity should be voluntary. Liberal bleeding hearts feel that they have the right to dig deep.....as long as it's my pockets they're digging in rather than their own. It's only logical that if they feel so strongly about the causes they claim to support that they be the first to put their money where their mouths are.

I want to give more for the causes I believe in and zero to the causes others believe in. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to more people.
Liberals love to play Robin Hood, but are stingy with their own.
What the African people need is freedom, and we can't provide that for them. Their country is rich with resources, that global nations are eager to exploit, including our own. That is the reason these people suffer and will continue to do so.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
L
What the African people need is freedom, and we can't provide that for them. Their country is rich with resources, that global nations are eager to exploit, including our own. That is the reason these people suffer and will continue to do so.
Well said. Religious and ethnic conflict is a huge problem, as well, though. Everytime an African country becomes stable, what inevitably happens? There is so much division and people are so paranoid (rightly so, in many cases) that we now have little gangs everywhere trying to protect what little they think they have, even though it's not doing anybody any good.

So many people trying to gain power, from the bottom to the top...

Last edited by herefornow; 08-19-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 AM

884 posts, read 716,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
If you really wanted to help someone, give him an opportunity to earn something. Do not give them something free, otherwise you will be creating an endless chain of abuse and hatred.

No one respects those that they pity. Giving something for free is not showing respect, it is showing pity.
Your post is well said and reminds me of an old saying that goes something like this: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
It depends on the type of aid. Aid that is spent on basic infrastructure(road, bridges, streets, energy) or immunizations is good. But aid in other areas can be a problem.
Which areas would you cut them off at specifically?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
We need to cut them off .Nobody learns to stand on their own two feet with the rest of the world giving them handouts .The world has been doing it for 30 years enough is enough.
I can't agree with you more. The United States should cut Africa off. Just let the Chinese and other countries do all the investing in infrastructure, business startups and other opportunities that are quietly making Africa one of the biggest investment and growth opportunities on the planet. The United States doesn't need to participate in any way in the economic growth of over 800 million people. After all our economy is doing so great why waste time having anything to do with something like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies