Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Hmmm....do we need any more big bridges? Have you considered that the big industrialization of the US occurred many decades ago and we are at a vastly different stage than China is?

Tall buildings are really meaningless to me. I like them as something to look at - but are they really meaningful? I am much more impressed that we created Microsoft and Google than a tall building in the Middle East that doesn't have full occupancy. The Boeing 787 will set the standard for mid-sized wide body aircraft. Twitter and Facebook are very real factors in enabling political activism all over the world.

China's much hyped maglev train has just a 19 mile track. BFD. If I raced the train on my bike - it would beat me by 45 minutes. So what?

I agree some of our infrastructure needs updating, but I think the need for it is overstated by politicians to justify more government spending.

Let's not forget China is polluting its air and water at record rates.

Thanks for this, knowing and being reminded of positive things is needed from time to time. For the last 10 years the only thing America has really been known for is a war on terrorists, if I think back for the last 10 years that is about the first thing I think of when I think "U.S.A".

And now even our space program is on ice while other countries expand and grow. Americans are badly in need of something positive and uniting that inspires a sense of accomplishment and pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The point I am trying to make is other parts of the world are chasing great things, we no longer are it seems.
We should be building more aircraft carriers?

Also, really tall buildings aren't necessarily great at anything besides bragging rights.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
They'll make awesome things for us to blow up in a few years when our powers that be spark a new World War in a last desperate attempt to stay top dog...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
We should be building more aircraft carriers?

Also, really tall buildings aren't necessarily great at anything besides bragging rights.

Not saying it should be carriers or tallest buildings, but the fact is other countries are taking on projects that install national pride and have expanding economies while ours withers. Some of our economic policies for the last 20 years allowed them to be that way now and brought us to where we are now.

Every person needs a goal and a dream, a country does also. I know my personal goals or dreams, but not sure what America's are anymore.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Not saying it should be carriers or tallest buildings, but the fact is other countries are taking on projects that install national pride and have expanding economies while ours withers. Some of our economic policies for the last 20 years allowed them to be that way now and brought us to where we are now.

Every person needs a goal and a dream, a country does also. I know my personal goals or dreams, but not sure what America's are anymore.
I agree with that, but we were too busy blowing up other countries to bother making our own country better.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
oohhhh, china built an aircraft carrier, wow. we have 12 carrier battle groups around the world, so chinas one carrier is at a distinct disadvantage. and one thing they will learn very quickly is how expensive it is to operate a carrier battle group, even at what they pay their people.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
r

You are absolutely right and the irony is that structures like the Hoover Dam, Goldern Gate Bridge, George Washington Bridge, Triborough Bridge, now known as the Robert Kennedy Bridge were ALL built during the Depresson. The fact we no longer have the national or political will to undertake great infrastructure projects is really a testament to the national decline of America.

Also I was at this website recently:

List of longest bridges in the world

Notice how China and other Asian countries totally dominate this category at the top. The bridges for the United States are at least 40 years old.

One of the best things a country can do to ensure its long term growth is to maintain and expand it's infrastructure. Americans have totally neglected this fact for decades.
I would love for us to build a nation wide rail system like France's Train à Grande Vitesse.

As for the OP, pretty amazing that they are already trying to trump the Burj building by almost 600 feet, considering that was built last year.

Does anyone else find it strange to see traditional Muslim garb and behavior, while driving around in Ferraris and buying $30 million penthouses in the most expensive buildings in the world? I guess greed and wealth isn't a sin in Islam?

Not that I care, I just find it rather odd looking at the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies