Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Link????

I would like to read that.......please.
There was one posted yesterday, seems to be gone now. Here's one...........
The Anti-Christ has arrived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I have noticed trends in thinking that put me in touch w/ stuff I would never have believed folks could be thinking about.

I have learned that people who have blinders on about their beliefs can still have a sense of humor.

I have been shocked at times at how twisted the info is that folks are relying on and it surprises me they can't see thru/ very slanted journalism written by pundits with an agenda.

I have also been surprised how many folks do their research and really try to relay accurate prime source material (but that has been kinda rare).

Has anything "changed my mind?" I honestly thought that most people heard soundbytes or saw out of context clips on tv - and rejected it as media hype. I have learned, since being on this forum, that this is not necessarily true. There are many people who seem to swallow (without question) whatever the media, and pundits, and politicians, feed them.

That was a big disappointment.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
There was one posted yesterday, seems to be gone now. Here's one...........
The Anti-Christ has arrived?
Thanks.....

I still am not seeing where these posts are from the Tea Party.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Not changed my mind, but rather reinforced my belief that the media has accomplished their task.... to brainwash the people

Looking at this site proves how dangerous partisanship is and this breeds ignorance.

It also makes a great case for why nothing will change in America for the better until Dems and Reps are not in power (need for representation by multiple other parties that CARE about America)

Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

Was it a dramatic change or just a course correction? Was it a minor change or a drastic rethinking of your worldview?

Or, has C-D Politics mainly reinforced your mindset and worldview or caused you to dig in further?

Thank you!
Yes, to an extent. I tend to ignore most of the left/right talking point formula debates but occasionally I read a little gem that helps to clarify a direction I have been looking.

For example, Ovcatto recently posted something regarding civil rights and why applying the laws against racism in government should be applied in corporations since they are receiving government protections and benefits. Made sense to me.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I honestly thought that most people heard soundbytes or saw out of context clips on tv - and rejected it as media hype. I have learned, since being on this forum, that this is not necessarily true. There are many people who seem to swallow (without question) whatever the media, and pundits, and politicians, feed them.
I have found the same. It's sad. Ideologues don't mind being lied to and want to be duped. They will latch onto whatever "fact" or line of argument, no matter how skewed, that reinforces what they want to believe.

I wish more people, both sides, stood up and refused to be lied to. I'm a liberal, but I dislike Michael Moore. Why? He lies. I don't appreciate being lied to, even if I'm being told something I want to hear.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:04 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Yes, to an extent. I tend to ignore most of the left/right talking point formula debates but occasionally I read a little gem that helps to clarify a direction I have been looking.

For example, Ovcatto recently posted something regarding civil rights and why applying the laws against racism in government should be applied in corporations since they are receiving government protections and benefits. Made sense to me.
What a coincidence that you pointed out Ovcatto, I made some very false statements on Lincoln's relationship with blacks. With out getting testy he pointed me to a different view.

I have also changed my opinion on the death penalty I used to be very strong for it. But after finding out that it cost more going through the appeals process etc etc it is just cheaper to let them rot in prison. I just wish the penal system was reporting a rash of fatal accidents. Such as Manson slipped on a bar of soap lost conscience and stopped breathing. Or Bundy was in the library and stuck a piece of metal in a wall socket, etc, etc.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Nope, I'm just observing the trainwrecks.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
It's reinforced my belief that America has too many ignorant people

Old 08-11-2011, 02:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

Was it a dramatic change or just a course correction? Was it a minor change or a drastic rethinking of your worldview?

Or, has C-D Politics mainly reinforced your mindset and worldview or caused you to dig in further?

Thank you!
Not really. The people who understand the issues tend to avoid this forum. We are left with the lumpenfolk and their talking points.

I do learn some things, I guess, but I'll have to get back to you on what that is exactly.

More than anything, I think it drags me down into the mire. When you try to have an intelligent discussion, and 30% of the responses are personal attacks, 30% of the responses are trying to put words in your mouth, and 40% of the responses contain factual errors, it's hard to maintain a neutral position. You really just want to lash out at them for being such irresponsible citizens, for helping to contribute to the screwed up economy and the screwed up political system we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies