Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Duh!

He's right! There are made of people, which provide products/services.

So if you hurt a corporation with high taxes, you hurt the people who work for that corporation AND invest in that corporation...probably like your mom, dad, aunts and uncles.

James Pethokoukis | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters.com

Either way he's right.

Gosh, do stink progress or media blathers ever check the facts, or do they just try to get a "controversial" soundbite and then push a narrative? The latter is correct.
...and every one of those moms, dads, aunts, uncles and cousins twice removed gets a vote just the same as every other citizen is entitled to. But of course because of right wing corporate a$$ kissing policies, these entitities get to vote multiple times. Sure, that makes sense...on which ****ing planet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are perfectly able to put your ignorance of the law on display for other individuals amusement.
So suggesting that not all laws are good, is a sign of ignorance? Thank you for letting me know that, I must bookmark this page for future reference.

Quote:
We all know you have been deemed all mighty master of what laws are relevant, and what ones arent..
No, people like us must rely on legal entities like you to get a clue every now and then.

Quote:
Corporations die every day.. More ignorance of reality on display, I never thought people would display their lack of knowledge so public..
Oh I know they die. In fact, I mentioned an example on the previous page... you must not have read any of that in the rush to go out and educate others about "laws" and how they are always right.

I was speaking of death penalty. So, how do these people die for their crimes? Lethal injection?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and every one of those moms, dads, aunts, uncles and cousins twice removed gets a vote just the same as every other citizen is entitled to. But of course because of right wing corporate a$$ kissing policies, these entitities get to vote multiple times. Sure, that makes sense...on which ****ing planet???
Corporations dont vote once, let alone multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So suggesting that not all laws are good, is a sign of ignorance? Thank you for letting me know that, I must bookmark this page for future reference.
That isnt what you said. You said that Romney was WRONG, that corporations are NOT people.. YOU WERE WRONG.. You spinning this into not liking the law isnt at all close to what you guys started with. You mocked the man, pretty much called him stupid for stating a FACT. You may not agree with the law, but that doesnt make the man wrong.
Quote:
No, people like us must rely on legal entities like you to get a clue every now and then.
So rather than admit that you were wrong, you go off and attack other posters who happened to know the truth.. Thats ok, that still makes Romney and I correct, that makes you wrong, and you attacking me wont change those facts.
Quote:
Oh I know they die. In fact, I mentioned an example on the previous page... you must not have read any of that in the rush to go out and educate others about "laws" and how they are always right.
Is this you admitting you were wrong?
Quote:
I was speaking of death penalty. So, how do these people die for their crimes? Lethal injection?
Do we kill children by lethal injection?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
But they are people! Whats getting in the way? They even have Social Security Number with misplaced hyphens.

Quote:
That isnt what you said. You said that Romney was WRONG, that corporations are NOT people.. YOU WERE WRONG...
I was quoting your point, not mine. As for Romney, he is not the only legal person who is wrong, you're among the rest of them.

Quote:
You spinning this into not liking the law isnt at all close to what you guys started with. You mocked the man, pretty much called him stupid for stating a FACT. You may not agree with the law, but that doesnt make the man wrong.
I did a terrible thing... never-never argue against emotional responses! Okay, he wasn't stupid, just an idiot.

Quote:
So rather than admit that you were wrong, you go off and attack other posters who happened to know the truth...
I know all the truth necessary about legal persons, real Americans and patriots. Thank you... don't assume that none other than the legal persons are capable.

Quote:
Thats ok, that still makes Romney and I correct, that makes you wrong, and you attacking me wont change those facts.
Damn, you've fallen in the love with "I'm correct", "you're wrong". Got anything better than that to debate?

Quote:
Oh, you inserted "were" here. My bad.

Quote:
We do kill people by lethal injection. No?

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 08-12-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:

That isnt what you said. You said that Romney was WRONG, that corporations are NOT people.. YOU WERE WRONG.. You spinning this into not liking the law isnt at all close to what you guys started with. You mocked the man, pretty much called him stupid for stating a FACT. You may not agree with the law, but that doesnt make the man wrong.

So rather than admit that you were wrong, you go off and attack other posters who happened to know the truth.. Thats ok, that still makes Romney and I correct, that makes you wrong, and you attacking me wont change those facts.

Sorry...I meant buying politicians and rendering ordinary American citizens' votes inconsequential.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Lets get to the gist of the argument in the context it was taken - as liberals are simply trying to argue class warfare (the evil "corporation") and republicans are trying to argue semantics (the greek origination of the word).

Legally, corporations are a legal business entity. But, in the context of the conversation with Romney and the citizen, it's clear - corporations are owned, run, employed by, and managed, by (*gasp*) - HUMANS. Not some IBM super computer or martians. A well managed corporation will generate wealth and create wealth for it's stockholders - and to own stock in a public company you simply need to buy a share in a free market. To be a public corporation, trading or even doing business in the US, you have to be subject to certain stringent financial regulations.

Now I think the "corporations are an evil being" talking point comes from misunderstandings of the operation of a corporation, and the concept of shareholder value. Along with publicity of high CEO salaries and bonuses. Yes there are some CEO's and board of directors making outrageious salaries, and that is a problem. But, really, how many CEO's and executives are pulling down salaries of over $1 million? In the total scheme of things there aren't really that many corporations that can afford to give that salary. It's an issue, but it's immaterial. They are mere rounding errors in the total scheme of things.

When corporations make a profit they either retain it (retained earnings) and reinvest, distribute some as discretionary bonuses to employees, or distribute it to shareholders. This, again, is heavily regulated. And shareholders (people) vote on distribution, salaries, etc. Yes they vote on it during shareholder meetings - in short, corporations are mini democracies run by people.

The argument can be made that a small number of people hold the majority of stock, but really that is not the case. Shares are distrubuted to investment houses that again are distrubuted amongst the marketplace in forms of 401k's and other invenstment tools - people.

Hey, I (and just about 70% of america) own stock/401k's, etc. When corporations do good, I do good. That means YOU are part of a corporation as well if you own any type of 401k or mutual fund. I also work for one - When a my employer does good, I make my bonus, and I am richer. Trust me - I am part of many corporations - and I am a person.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
But they are people! Whats getting in the way? They even have Social Security Number with misplaced hyphens.
So do children... Children cant vote either
Quote:
I was quoting your point, not mine. As for Romney, he is not the only legal person who is wrong, you're among the rest of them.
I quoted the law.. You can mock the law but you mocking the law on an internet web forum doesnt change the law.
Quote:
I did a terrible thing... never-never argue against emotional responses! Okay, he wasn't stupid, just an idiot.
I didnt at all post an emotional response, I posted the law. If you think he's an idiot for knowing the law, whats that make those of you that dont
Quote:
I know all the truth necessary about legal persons, real Americans and patriots. Thank you... don't assume that none other than the legal persons are capable.
You mean you know all you WANT to know, and block out anything that shows you are wrong, including someone who quotes the law.. Clearly some people are more capable of others to admit they were wrong rather continuing to make a fool of themself over and over.
Quote:
Damn, you've fallen in the love with "I'm correct", "you're wrong". Got anything better than that to debate?
I quoted the legal definition which clearly says corporations are people.. What do you have other than nothing?
Quote:
Oh, you inserted "were" here. My bad.
Thats when I thought you had the capability to read the legal definition of "person" and comprehend you were wrong and admit it.. Clearly I expected too much from you
Quote:
We do kill people by lethal injection. No?
You didnt answer my question. Do we kill children by lethal injection?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry...I meant buying politicians and rendering ordinary American citizens' votes inconsequential.
You have any problem with Warren Buffet personally "buying" Obama?

How about groups like the NAACP, NOW, ACORN? I doubt you did, but they are all corporations as well.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
last time i checked many people work for cooperations, like BOA, or Walmart.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
We are discussing THE LAW, so why dont we review the LEGAL definition of "person"
I was discussing Romney's comments. Does being on topic offend you?

If they are considered persons, then we have a bigger problem because in may cases these "persons" are foreign nationals with foreign interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies