Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
which part wasn't as bad as we think? -- the deregulating wall street, unfunded expansions of medicare, cutting tax revenues from the ultra rich (lowering capital gains), or the iraq wars?

on a personal note, Bush said "How's it goin?" to me, and shot me with his finger like a gun, when he was just starting to campaign for the 2000 election. i know that sounds like such random internet BS, but it's the truth.

Hey Arianna Huffington, the housing crisis and this recession wasn't caused by a deregulation of Wall Street. Stop the silly HuffPo talking points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post

George W. Bush: A Look at the Next President - Part 1 (1988) - YouTube

What's striking about this interview is how articulate and intelligent he really is. I still think he really wasn't a good President, but he's a lot smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.

But what happened when he became President? He was much more agitated, nervous, and poor at communicating than he was here...

Think for just a minute about the intelligent and purposeful questions being asked of GW Bush in this interview. OK, got that?

Now think about the retarded questions asked of Palin and Bachmann.

Ask a stupid question...get a stupid answer.

The problem is the press and their ideology.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hey Arianna Huffington, the housing crisis and this recession wasn't caused by a deregulation of Wall Street. Stop the silly HuffPo talking points.
How so? I am sure if someone had seen the derivatives they were cooking up in their white collar meth lab, they would not have financed all the terrible loands. The mortgage backed securities and such created a lot of capital for originating loans that was worthless. If someone without a comflict of interest had been paying attention, they would haves stopped the thing. Bush and Greenspan assumed investment banks would regulate themselves. Didn't work out that way.

But in all fairness, that was simply negligence and fitting with a GOP laissez-faire ideology, and who the hell know what they were doing anyway? Cooking up a war on completely false pretenses is beyond negligence, It is either spectacularly irresponsible or criminal, and most likely both. That is precisely why folks despise Bush.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:

What's striking about this interview is how articulate and intelligent he really is. I still think he really wasn't a good President, but he's a lot smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.

But what happened when he became President? He was much more agitated, nervous, and poor at communicating than he was here...
I watched the entire interview.

Let's be clear: this video was from 1988 and he was being asked about his PERSONAL life, not public policy questions that a president should be prepared to answer. BIG difference!

Any chump can tell you about his days in Little League as a youngster.

Bush, jr. was not articulate as President because he was simply out of his element. This is a man who was NEVER qualified to be President, even after 8 yrs on the job. By contrast, while his father may not have been the best communicator, I never questioned his ability to do the job.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:

LMFAO at a video from 1988

Bush wasn't even Governor of Texas till 95 geniuses.

MAJOR Fail

Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hey Arianna Huffington, the housing crisis and this recession wasn't caused by a deregulation of Wall Street.

oh right .... how does this go again?

I usually post some links showing y'all how Bush screwed up... things like forcing the federal deregulation of mortgages (against the will of the states), keeping interest rates too low for too long, and lowering capital ratios for banks. Bush let banks lend too much money, by lowering the amount they needed to keep on hand in case of an emergency. When banks lend, it creates new credit money, and inflation, and that's what inflated housing prices.

And the the Neocon footsoldiers show up and post a bunch of stuff about Democrats that doesn't absolve Bush of his decisions. Then, because I know y'all have no talking point that addresses it -- I ask: "How was the GLOBAL housing bubble caused by the CRA and Fannie and Freddie?"

And y'all scurry away, because you don't have an answer, and the thread ends. Is that how this is going to go, again?

Last edited by le roi; 08-12-2011 at 05:16 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

Maye he choked under the pressure of the presidency. The sad part is that the country paid the price for his weakness.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh right .... how does this go again?

I usually post some links showing y'all how Bush screwed up... things like forcing the federal deregulation of mortgages (against the will of the states), keeping interest rates too low for too long, and lowering capital ratios for banks. Bush let banks lend too much money, by lowering the amount they needed to keep on hand in case of an emergency. When banks lend, it creates new credit money, and inflation, and that's what inflated housing prices.

And the the Neocon footsoldiers show up and post a bunch of stuff about Democrats that doesn't absolve Bush of his decisions. Then, because I know y'all have no talking point that addresses it -- I ask: "How was the GLOBAL housing bubble caused by the CRA and Fannie and Freddie?"

And y'all scurry away, because you don't have an answer, and the thread ends. Is that how this is going to go, again?
Do you even know what Fannie Mae does? In fact, do you even know what a derivative is?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
What's striking about this interview is how articulate and intelligent he really is.
You mean, how well prepared he was for the interview. If you give someone the answers in advance, they will sound quite scholarly.

Face it: Bush himself said that he majored in drinking and partying when he was at Yale.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:12 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:

So he's smarter than a fifth grader and he's not putting
on the heavy accent. So what.
Nothing shows his intellect in that interview,
unless your impressed by one who can complete a
sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies