Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, requiring people to purchase a private product just doesn't fly, once again...

Appeals court rules against Obama healthcare law | Reuters
While I probably agree with the decision, I find it so amusing that when Courts rule in favor of Conservative views, they are doing their job, but when Courts rule in favor of liberals, they are activist judges overstepping their authority.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I don't know about that- there are still plenty of far-reaching requirements of the program, like not being able to exclude pre-existing conditions, that seem like they'll still be in place based on that ruling. I wasn't a big fan of requiring people to buy insurance anyway, but on the flip side, if you don't have insurance, don't expect to get treated- beyond stabilizing a life-threatening injury- if you can't afford to pay.
That's the whole issue - leave the existing condition provision in place without the mandate, and nobody buys insurance until they need it...

Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Could open the door for the Public Option, who knows?
Public Option could happen but not before the Dems take over the House and hold the Senate. You know this law was passed with Dems in control and never could have happened with the present Congress.

The scenario under the present Congress would be for the House to debate for quite some time and then pass a bill. Immediately Dirty Harry would table it and put his union friends along with insurance reps to work writing something that Nasty Nancy would say we have to approve to find out what is in it. Oh wait, that is what happened with the all Dem control of Congress.

You surely know that public option is just a far step toward government control of the whole thing and the forcing of doctors to retire.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Once the mandatory provision is removed it will go forward, like it or not. I said this would happen even before it was passed.
Casper
How do you intend to finance the whole thing? I just heard the chairwoman of the Dem party refuse to explain how they would be able to tax enough to finance Obamacare without the mandate. How do you really think it will be done without that mandate?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't know that the SC would allow the Mandate to be removed. It is because of the Mandate that Ins Premiums would be held down. Take that away, and there would have to be some other way to keep Ins Prices in check. AKA Public Option. The Ins Industry would never let the SC allow for that, and we all know who 5 of the SC work for.
If those fees were to be held down with that mandate why did so many insurance companies already raise their rates in preparation for Obamacare? That's right you people didn't know this had happened, did you?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
A little early for celebrating, don't you think?

Appeals court upholds health-care law's individual mandate - The Washington Post

But then, you folks were cheering that "Obamacare" had been "defeated" back in 2010, when a Virginia court found the mandate unconstitutional.

It's going to take the Supreme Court to decide before you should break out the champagne.
Open your eyes and see that this court is one of the top Federal courts in the system, not a Virginia state court. Keep on hoping for one of more of certain judges in the Supreme Court to die or be otherwise disabled.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is not the problem of the SC.
The few of THEM that are brave enough to get in this thread are really having quite a time hoping that Obama is not going to lose the flagship of his state.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
While I probably agree with the decision, I find it so amusing that when Courts rule in favor of Conservative views, they are doing their job, but when Courts rule in favor of liberals, they are activist judges overstepping their authority.

You don't really believe what you said, do you? You do know that it is just the opposite when libs are doing the talking about decisions. You think that only the good guys are wrong, and you know it.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It won't save anything as I see it since the Dems will just try to raise income taxes to make up for the loss of the mandated money. I know the House will never agree with that but they will have to try to save the most important part of Obama's reign.
They do not have to "try" to raise income taxes, Speaker Boehner already gave that away when he agreed to the increase in the debt ceiling. The 2001 tax cuts, that was extended in December 2010, will come to an end in 2012.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Open your eyes and see that this court is one of the top Federal courts in the system, not a Virginia state court. Keep on hoping for one of more of certain judges in the Supreme Court to die or be otherwise disabled.
And what is the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit in Cincinnati? Is the Atlanta 11th Circuit somehow superior to it?

What in your estimation makes the 11th Circuit "one of the top Federal courts in the system," moreso than the 6th?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies