Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:06 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
As usual, he and you get it wrong again.

It's not an entitlement. Her employer, Fox News, kicked in some extra time for her, which is not funded by the taxpayer.
As usual, you are wrong. Maternity leave was a government mandate to all large corporations. She got her required 3 months of leave for the birth of her baby and Fox could not let her go for taking it. It is an entitlement for new parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
John is stupid here. Why does he think she's a hypocrite? For taking something that her employer offers?
So you obviously just want to be partisan, or you didn't watch the clip. Which one?

She comes back from maternity leave talking about how America is in the dark ages because it is lacking what conservatives would label as an "entitlement" that other countries have.

Prior to maternity leave she's leaving a trail of clips bashing entitlements.

Hypocracy is evident, all it takes is a couple minutes to watch the clip and actually pay attention.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Famous quote, "Simple minds are easily amused".
Isn't that the truth!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
As usual, you are wrong. Maternity leave was a government mandate to all large corporations. She got her required 3 months of leave for the birth of her baby and Fox could not let her go for taking it. It is an entitlement for new parents.
Huh? What government? Not the US government. if you are referring to fmla, it is unpaid. There is no Federal requirement for paid time off. Many large companies, like Fox offer generous benefits.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Slightly OT, but how cute is her new haircut?!
Too cute. I love the new look. People need to stop hating on her. She is a smart woman.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Famous quote, "Simple minds are easily amused".
Indeed they are. Thankfully, I'm not one of those people.

Quote:
You are painting with a pretty big brush.

Your statement is false. repubs are against SOME of the benefits PUBLIC employees and union members get such as free health care and retirement pay while NOT contributing very much of their own money.

Saying you are against certain benefits is not he same as saying you are against ALL benefits.
I really don't think my statement is false, though. And I don't think conservative hostility is limited to public employees (BTW, I do agree that some public employees should contribute more of their money to pensions)

I hear--and understand--the complaint you just posted, but I have also never heard a conservative say that a worker should have a certain benefit (whatever it may be). And when a worker does, a conservative usually complains about it, saying that they don't deserve it, that makes them entitled and lazy, that it is anti-business. (like the Family Leave Act)

For example: Conservatives, on the whole, have always argued against every single increase of the minimum wage--at the state and federal levels--since the 1930s. I know of no situation where that has not been the case. You can count on it like clockwork. That doesn't mean that I think every increase is warranted, but I philosophically agree with a minumum wage.

So I stand by my previous post. But if I'm wrong, I'm open to examples if you have them. I've changed my opinion more than once when presented with enough evidence.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Where do you get this nonsense???
I think I need to start preserving all of the posts I read that back up my opinions about most conservatives.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Too cute. I love the new look. People need to stop hating on her. She is a smart woman.
Actually, her hair did look nice. Just sayin'

Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Unpaid leave?

Well, Fox topped that, didn't they?

I guess they VALUED Kelly and decided to give her PAID leave. Why would they want to let her go?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
I am very tired of hearing people call anything like maternity leave and entitlement. Entitlements are paid by the US not any corporation or any other business. How in hell can you call forced health insurance an entitlement?

It really gets to me when people call anything mandated by the law an entitlement if it has to be paid by anybody other than the government. I know few understand what entitlement means but if you are over 30 surely you know that many of the things that younger people think of as entitlement because of what they have been telling them in school for a number of years, doesn't have to be an entitlement. That word means money that you have to have from the government because of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies