Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times

Advertisements

He really needs to quit trying to cram Austrian economics lectures into 30-second allotted time periods in debates. He sounded sporadic and unorganized.

Ex.

How would you get our troops out of Iraq?

What he usually says: <Cue: 5 minute rant on liberty, non-interventionism>

What he should say: I'd be the President. I have the authority to withdraw immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
Ron Paul turned me off during the FAA debaucle...He didn't seem to really care about the FAA employees who were working without pay or the constuction workers who were laid-off...His non-caring and cavelier attitude really turned me off. It showed me a different side to him. I don't put him on a pedestal anymore.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Ron Paul turned me off during the FAA debaucle...He didn't seem to really care about the FAA employees who were working without pay or the constuction workers who were laid-off...His non-caring and cavelier attitude really turned me off. It showed me a different side to him. I don't put him on a pedestal anymore.
He doesn't believe in holding majorities hostage to a minority. You can expect plenty more lay-offs in government and federal contracting if he becomes president. Just the way it is.

But since Obama cares so much about you, maybe you can vote for him.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:05 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
He doesn't believe in holding majorities hostage to a minority. You can expect plenty more lay-offs in government and federal contracting if he becomes president. Just the way it is.

But since Obama cares so much about you, maybe you can vote for him.
Unfortunately it will be hard for me to vote for anyone in the next presidential election. I don't have faith and confidence in Obama or in any of the current Republican candidates.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
He really needs to quit trying to cram Austrian economics lectures into 30-second allotted time periods in debates. He sounded sporadic and unorganized.

Ex.

What he should say: I'd be the President. I have the authority to withdraw immediately.
Although I think he needs to dumb it down at times, he came across very well last night. Too many are uninformed and are used to sound bites. You have to look into his message to pick it up.
Don't take the answer on the surface, it's always best to understand the reasons behind the answer.
A few candidates made impressions. The questions actually showed the differences in the candidates.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:

Ex.

I think it's because he's trying to inject real issues and lectures at the same time. I mean, the other candidates in the GOP field are starting to take cue to Ron Paul's economic positions, or at least paying lip service to them.

Reminds me of a famous Family Guy clip during the mayoral elections:

Brian: Lois, undecided voters are the biggest idiots on the planet. Try giving short, simple answers.
Audience: Mrs. Griffin, what do you plan to do about crime in our city?
Lois: A lot.
Audience stands up, applauds and cheers.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I agree. He has a tendency to sound whiny and exasperated when he gets wound up about an issue. Not good. It plays into the "crazy old man" image that some have of him.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Ron Paul resonated well to many people listening last night. One of my friends, not into politics, happened to watch the debate last night. She told me today that she liked the short old man from Texas. He speaks to the people of things the people want to hear.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Ron Paul Iowa Debate Highlights Part 1 - YouTube

Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree. He has a tendency to sound whiny and exasperated when he gets wound up about an issue. Not good. It plays into the "crazy old man" image that some have of him.
That's a shame that the American attention span is tuned to hone in on 15-30-second soundbites instead of a 1-2 minute explanation of things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies