Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You make good points.
I agree that such people are in most developed nations. I live many years in Germany and saw that. They are the Bourgeoisie, an international mentality. America, however, is the world's staunch fortress of the Bourgeoisie.
I'm not jealous, envious, or whatever.
I'm sure there are enough Americans that would rather read a book than watch American Idol or rent an Italian movie instead of going to see the latest Hollywood offering.
Who will admit to worshipping the Golden Calf? No one. I think the only ones insulted by my posts are those who see themselves in my descriptions.

I'm not insulted, just don't agree that most Americans worship the Golden Calf. Unless we have a different definition of the Golden Calf.

I have no desire to earn as much money as possible. I do, however, want to have enough to be comfortable. And I've done that. But I'm not prepared to make any more sacrifices of personal time to achieve more wealth.

And I think most of my friends are in the same boat.

Regarding entertainment; I don't think there are valid value judgements around one's choices here. Reading a book is not better or worse than watching American Idol. If you prefer TV, then go for it. If you prefer to read a book, then fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
After the three Starbucks drive the local coffee store out of business by selling better coffee below cost the parent company closes two of the Starbucks outlets and has gained a monopoly over the local coffee shop market. Now Starbucks can charge twice as much for a cup of inferior coffee and, because the capital for a local competitor was lost, Starbucks will not ever face any competition.

This is known as the Standard Oil marketing scheme and was made illegal a century ago. This is also the basis of all the big chain stores. Start by underselling the local competition and after they are forced out, raise your prices to provide the money needed to cover initial losses as you expand your operation to new territories. This is good business but violates the basis of Capitalist competition in a fair and open market.
Opening and closing stores would cost them millions, they would not make enough money to compensate for their waste, it would not make sense to do so. Most leases are 15 -20 years and Starbucks would be labile for them.

Standard Oil is an example of a government granted and protected natural monopoly, it can't be compared to a business model that can be duplicated freely.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
There are a few loopholes in capitalism that make it unbalanced, such as purchasing power.

Let's pretend that Bob's Movie Store has been in business for 5 years, then in comes a Best Buy that sells the exact same movies as Bob's place but the difference is Best Buy can afford to undersell the DVD's at a loss. Forrest Gump at Bob's Movie Store costs $24.99; at Best Buy it is $14.99. Bob's Movie Store isn't going to be in business much longer.

Big box retailers do this all the time. I know because I used to work at one. They buy the products from the venders all at the same price but what the retail outlets sell the products for is their decision. Big box retailers subsidize the losses through other means such as credit cards, membership cards, etc. Plus the extra foot traffic coming in for the small things sold at a loss means that one of them might buy something big that is sold for a profit.

This is just one example of how capitalism can indeed be unfair, unbalanced, and how the rich keep getting richer but keep in mind that no system is perfect though.
So it would be fairer if the customers paid 66% higher prices for the movie?? Fair to whom? Certainly not the customer. This is just one example of the fairness and balance of capitalism, and how it helps the little guys.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is the way that the world works. It has been that way since the beginning of time. Man up and face the facts that the world is competitive.

I would offer that when I was in college, there was no "Starbucks", only local coffee shops. Yet Starbucks arrived and did well.

Perhaps your local coffee shop, if it offers superior service and coffee, can supplant "Starbucks" and become the next great buisness.

Stop whining and get to work. The younger generation is lazy and worthless.
The world doesn't have to work that way and it certainly didn't start out that way.

For example, the OP can still choose to grow his own coffee for himself and sell none of it.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
The world doesn't have to work that way and it certainly didn't start out that way.

For example, the OP can still choose to grow his own coffee for himself and sell none of it.
The "liberals" would call that hoarding and demand the confiscation of his property and the state running his coffee backyard

Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I agree, Capitalism is set up for greed. Capitalism is greed. Greed is Capitalism.
Of course, It is only the other guy who is greedy.

Milton Friedman - Greed - YouTube

Is stealing goods through political machinations somehow nobler than producing goods and benefiting from your productive capacities?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course, It is only the other guy who is greedy.

Milton Friedman - Greed - YouTube

Is stealing goods through political machinations somehow nobler than producing goods and benefiting from your productive capacities?
The noblest thing in our society is benefitting from one's productive capacities. By definition, this involves bringing goods and services to the rest of society, in a competitive market, to people who value them. Every transaction has two winners; both parties improve their position via the purchase and sale.

Interestingly, the only way one can sustainably increase his or her income is by being of even more use to the rest of us. If the desire to accrue more income is greed, and it leads to greater service to society, then....greed must be good.

The charlatan or gouger, often cited as proof of a defect in capitalism, almost invariably comes to a bad end. I could make a lot of money in a big hurry by gouging the hell out of my customers, but I can make much, much more money over the long haul behaving honorably and rendering faithful service.

The vast majority of business in America is done by people who understand these principles.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The noblest thing in our society is benefitting from one's productive capacities. By definition, this involves bringing goods and services to the rest of society, in a competitive market, to people who value them. Every transaction has two winners; both parties improve their position via the purchase and sale.

Interestingly, the only way one can sustainably increase his or her income is by being of even more use to the rest of us. If the desire to accrue more income is greed, and it leads to greater service to society, then....greed must be good.

The charlatan or gouger, often cited as proof of a defect in capitalism, almost invariably comes to a bad end. I could make a lot of money in a big hurry by gouging the hell out of my customers, but I can make much, much more money over the long haul behaving honorably and rendering faithful service.

The vast majority of business in America is done by people who understand these principles.
Perfect. Couldn't have said it better.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

I can't wait to see all those banks on wall street come to a bad end, I await with bated breath!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Milton Friedman PBS Free to Choose 1980 Vol 1 of 10 Power of the Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies