Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

The jobs are out there, it's just that Clinton got them to Mexico and China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It is demand that “creates jobs.” I scare-quote “creates jobs” because the phrase itself is misleading, giving the impression that businesses have a godlike ability to materialize employment, if only we would perform the right incantations and animal sacrifices. The fact is, our economy, like our government, consists of three (theoretically) co-equal branches: businesses, workers, and consumers. In order for the economy to do well, all three branches must be kept healthy. The problem is, the practices of one branch (businesses) have critically weakened the other two.

This is all the more amazing because those two weakened branches consist of the same people, yet all of the power still rests in the hands of business. There are no jobs because there is no demand, because consumers can’t afford to buy business’s products and services, because there are no jobs. In the short term, businesses can realize record profits by cutting costs (killing jobs), exploiting foreign labor (killing jobs), and gouging consumers for whatever they can (killing demand), but eventually, these “makers” will have no consumers left to sell to, and thus, no need to hire any of them.

Thom Hartmann | Fox Business Network | Class Warfare | Mediaite

Businesses have two choices when viewing labor. If they believe they can afford more labor, they, they will hire more labor. If they are concerned about the cost of hiring labor ( see Obamacare), they will ask existing employees to work harder. Hours worked has been steadily increasing.

Additionally, individuals and corporations are hoarding cash, because they have no confidence in the economy. The government doesn't create jobs, but they can create a pro growth environment or anti business environment. This administration is clearly anti business.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Americans aren't unemployed because the economy is bad. The economy is bad because Americans are unemployed.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
There is a movement in America by conservative groups to demonize unions as bad for the country because unions are bad for corporations. Anyone with a pulse knows Republicans are in opposition to anything that threatens the power of corporations, and conservatives protect corporate America at any cost.

Conservatives have fought to prevent union organization at corporate giants like Wal-Mart to keep wages low so they can make more profits and abuse their workforce. Wal-Mart employees in Europe are represented by unions, and workers enjoy paid sick leave, living wages, 4-6 weeks of vacation, and retirement plans that make the golden years tolerable. European workers do not understand why their “brothers and sisters” in America cannot have union representation.

It is not new for conservatives to protect corporations at the expense of workers, and propaganda that unions are evil is a weapon that Republicans are ramping up again because of the sluggish economy.

At some point, America will become a corporation, and 98% of Americans will live in poverty because Republicans are hell-bent on destroying the middle class.
Good thread

Real conservatives, thinking conservatives, agree with you on this and see the corporate leaders who have been demolishing America over the last 30 years for the treasonous sociopaths that they are. Problem is there seems to be so damned few of us left.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Businesses have two choices when viewing labor. If they believe they can afford more labor, they, they will hire more labor. If they are concerned about the cost of hiring labor ( see Obamacare), they will ask existing employees to work harder. Hours worked has been steadily increasing.

Additionally, individuals and corporations are hoarding cash, because they have no confidence in the economy. The government doesn't create jobs, but they can create a pro growth environment or anti business environment. This administration is clearly anti business.
I completely agree. There's no question that more employment means more consumers which leads to more employment and more consumption, not to mention more revenue for the government. The solution is so simple but the Democrats keep getting in the way. They demonize business and profit but want more government revenue so their solution is raise taxes, raise taxes, raise taxes...it's a mantra they can't outgrow.

For me, the simple solution is go to business, ask them what they need to bring jobs back to the US and/or to start hiring here and, no matter what it is....GIVE IT TO THEM! If it works, great...we are back. If it doesn't, government can always go back to the successful methods that are now in place. I don't give a you-know-what about increasing taxes on the rich but I know it's nothing but a symbolic class warfare bandaid on a gaping wound. It is a waste of time, a meaningless change that does almost nothing to solve the problem and every one of the Democrats in Washington know it. Fine, if that's their idea of a solution, they can have it but I hope everyone eventually comes to realize that they are STILL tax and spend clowns who can't change even when faced with overwhelming evidence that another answer is needed.

If business says they need certainty and favorable tax policy, give it to them and make them put up or shut up. But don't stand in the way or, for gosh sakes, put up even more walls. And it's time for a balanced budget amendment!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,109 times
Quote:
There is a movement in America by conservative groups to demonize unions as bad for the country because unions are bad for corporations.

--snip--

At some point, America will become a corporation, and 98% of Americans will live in poverty because Republicans are hell-bent on destroying the middle class.
It is OK to address me directly you know. And I am not part of a "conservative group". I am an anarcho-capitalist paleo-libertarian in the purest sense.

Why would I want to destroy the "middle-class"? I am "middle-class". I also live in a right-to-work state, where people are doing just fine, moving here in droves from the commie northern blue states, and enjoy a low cost of living.

Consider that we don't manufacture anything in this country anymore. Why is that? Is it because of the cost of raw materials? No, those prices are kept in check by the global commodity markets. What is arguably the single biggest cost of doing business as a manufacturer? Could it be labor?

The union thugs you get so teary eyed about have priced themselves out of the market. To remain competitive in the global economy, where the going price for labor is considerably lower than what the pinko unions think is a livable wage, what do you expect manufacturers to do? Lose money so union thugs can have gold-plated benefits, ridiculous salaries, 80% pensions into perpetuity, and the right to smoke dope and drink 40s on their lunch breaks?

As I mentioned in a Great Debates thread, Unions have outlived their usefulness. You don't work in a meat packing plant from an Upton Sinclair novel. The Pinkerton guards are not coming to get you. Continue to pizz off companies with thug tactics and unreasonable demands, and we will continue to see jobs offshored.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:43 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
An economic slowdown and Obamacare created the perfect storm. Many more people may have health care but many more people will not have jobs.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Good thread

Real conservatives, thinking conservatives, agree with you on this and see the corporate leaders who have been demolishing America over the last 30 years for the treasonous sociopaths that they are. Problem is there seems to be so damned few of us left.
Sicko's problem is he only sees things in terms of D and R. He is blind to the fact that there are just as many dem controlled businesses as there are R.

He rants and raves about a subject and ALWAYS finds a way to blame ONLY Rs.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I completely agree. There's no question that more employment means more consumers which leads to more employment and more consumption, not to mention more revenue for the government. The solution is so simple but the Democrats keep getting in the way. They demonize business and profit but want more government revenue so their solution is raise taxes, raise taxes, raise taxes...it's a mantra they can't outgrow.

For me, the simple solution is go to business, ask them what they need to bring jobs back to the US and/or to start hiring here and, no matter what it is....GIVE IT TO THEM! If it works, great...we are back. If it doesn't, government can always go back to the successful methods that are now in place. I don't give a you-know-what about increasing taxes on the rich but I know it's nothing but a symbolic class warfare bandaid on a gaping wound. It is a waste of time, a meaningless change that does almost nothing to solve the problem and every one of the Democrats in Washington know it. Fine, if that's their idea of a solution, they can have it but I hope everyone eventually comes to realize that they are STILL tax and spend clowns who can't change even when faced with overwhelming evidence that another answer is needed.

If business says they need certainty and favorable tax policy, give it to them and make them put up or shut up. But don't stand in the way or, for gosh sakes, put up even more walls. And it's time for a balanced budget amendment!
I have seen MANY CEO's and small business owners interviewed on TV and they ALL say the same thing. The uncertainty of new taxes and regulations has to be removed, PERIOD.

If an owner or CEO makes the wrong "guess" it could cause them to go out of business.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have seen MANY CEO's and small business owners interviewed on TV and they ALL say the same thing. The uncertainty of new taxes and regulations has to be removed, PERIOD.

If an owner or CEO makes the wrong "guess" it could cause them to go out of business.
Isn't this always the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies