Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Childhood obesity, well obesity in general, is rapidly growing and oesn't show signs of stopping.

Why do you think that's a problem? Wont this species just evolve into something that adapts to our new environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Too much television, video games, internet, lack of physical exercise. Then there's parents who don't take time to cook or only microwave frozen dinners. So there's bad diet. Or they give the kids fast food so they don't have to cook. Bad parenting in a general sense. And food today is full of garbage, corn syrup and hydrogenated oils.
When I was a kid we played in the playground, played in the cemetary, played in the woods and ran all over the neighborhood. We had bikes and us not having cable TV meant that usually the good TV reruns only ran until about noon.
We had dinner every night and ate out only about every other Sunday.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Everything OP said plus parents who encourage their kids to sit on their asses.

I am amazed at how many parents think their kids need to be driven everywhere. When I was in elementary school we walked to school in small groups. Yes it was a few blocks away. Now mommy is the chauffeur - heaven forbid little Johnnie or Susie would have to actually exercise their little legs. We live on a private dirt road with three houses. It is about 1/2 mile from the school bus stop at the bottom of the road to the house where a school-age kid lives. Her fat mother drives her fat kid the half mile every day.

Another culprit is ATVs and snowmobiles. How many times do we see fatass parents with their fatass little porkers sitting on ATVs rolling through the woods when we are hiking, or zooming by on snowmobiles when we are cross country skiing. They all need to get up off their fat butts and burn some calories instead of petrochemicals. Or at least give the kids something with pedal power but no, they are so proud when the little porker rides around the yard in a tiny ATV.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
It might be a good idea for parents to rig the exercise bike so it powered the video game machine. Then use it themselves

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
High fructose corn syrup.
This is probably the number one cause followed closely by lack of exercise and the "feel good" mentality that nothing is anyone's fault.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Childhood obesity, well obesity in general, is rapidly growing and oesn't show signs of stopping. There are several causes of it, but what do you think is the greatest cause, the one that has the most significant force on obesity. Here's my list that I believe are the causes in order:

1. Technology- video games, computers, TV
2. Parents not setting a good example or don't take any action to stopping their child from becoming obese.
3. Junk food. Everywhere you look, kids are getting junk food. Parents don't monitor their kids eating habits and kids don't know how bad it really is for you.
4. Lack of recreation near homes and businesses, there are some areas that have lots of recreation, and there is a lot that don't. This would encourage excercise.
5. Unwalkable suburbs. Most of America lives in suburbs. If suburbs, were walkable then we would all get more excercise. I know that in St. Paul there are many kids walking to houses and to the nearest mini mart and even to their summer jobs. I'm sureo ther dense cities, that are safe, do the same thing. We need to encourage suburbs to do so also.

So anything you like to add to this would be great or tell me what your causes are.
The parents tend to be obese(or approaching it) themselves, hence the child is obese.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Childhood obesity, well obesity in general, is rapidly growing and oesn't show signs of stopping. There are several causes of it, but what do you think is the greatest cause, the one that has the most significant force on obesity. Here's my list that I believe are the causes in order:

2. Parents not setting a good example or don't take any action to stopping their child from becoming obese.
3. Junk food. Everywhere you look, kids are getting junk food. Parents don't monitor their kids eating habits and kids don't know how bad it really is for you.
4. Lack of recreation near homes and businesses, there are some areas that have lots of recreation, and there is a lot that don't. This would encourage excercise.
5. Unwalkable suburbs. Most of America lives in suburbs. If suburbs, were walkable then we would all get more excercise. I know that in St. Paul there are many kids walking to houses and to the nearest mini mart and even to their summer jobs. I'm sureo ther dense cities, that are safe, do the same thing. We need to encourage suburbs to do so also.

So anything you like to add to this would be great or tell me what your causes are.
My guess is that they eat too much and don't get enough exercise. Just a hunch.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
All of the items mentioned by op contribute. Also, not just junk food per se, but that it is available for cheap and is extremely convenient, make things worse. Healthy (cooked) food is more expensive and takes time to prepare.

I agree. Lazy parents who find it easier to stop by the closest takeout joint than to plan a meal and prepare it from scratch.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
High fructose corn syrup.
Yes, this is a biggie- along with all sugars, starches, and "healthy" whole grains. Do not be fooled by the media into believing that Cheerios or oatmeal along with a big tumbler of orange juice make for a good breakfast.

Quote:
Because it is metabolized by the liver, fructose does not cause the pancreas to release insulin the way it normally does. Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar. This may be one of the reasons Americans continue to get fatter. Fructose raises serum triglycerides significantly. As a left-handed sugar, fructose digestion is very low. For complete internal conversion of fructose into glucose and acetates, it must rob ATP energy stores from the liver.21

Not only does fructose have more damaging effects in the presence of copper deficiency, fructose also inhibits copper metabolism--another example of the sweeteners double-whammy effect. A deficiency in copper leads to bone fragility, anemia, defects of the connective tissue, arteries, and bone, infertility, heart arrhythmias, high cholesterol levels, heart attacks, and an inability to control blood sugar levels.22

The Double Danger of High Fructose Corn Syrup - Weston A Price Foundation
Quote:
Come on! Wheat can’t be that bad! “If it’s so bad, how come my Mom lived until she was 85 in perfect health and my grandparents likewise?”

Okay, Wheat Belly Busters–those of you who have read the book and know what I’m talking about: IT AIN’T WHEAT. What we are being sold today is so far removed from the wheat of even 50 years ago that I challenge that it should even be called “wheat” any longer.

Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight
Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis is # 14 on the NYT best sellers in the "advice" list. It is very interesting to read about the modification of wheat and the consequences.

So give yourselves and your kids eggs and a couple of strips of nitrite free bacon- no toast, half a grapefruit without sugar( sub= stevia). You will not be hungry until lunch when you can have grilled chicken over lots of raw greens with your favorite (non soy based) salad dressing. Afternoon snack- mozzarella cheese stick. Dinner -any meat or low mercury fish, asparagus in cream sauce or butter, sliced tomatoes, dessert/snack- berries and a little bit of cream....you get the idea.

ETA: Beverages: filtered water, ice tea (plain or with stevia), milk- raw if you are lucky enough to have trusted source, other things such as lemonade, from real lemons! sweetened with stevia. Get creative! I would even have to say that diet soda sweetened with sucralose is better than the high fructose syrup regular sodas- in small amounts per day.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:

Number 2 is the only one that can even be considered. The others are just attempts to excuse the result without taking responsibility.

Video games don't make kids fat. The lazy inactive kid is a result of the parents and the kid.

Junk food does not make kids fat. Lazy inactive kids and irresponsible parents again are the result here.

Lack of recreation facilities does not make kids fat. Lazy kids and irresponsible parents are a result of that.

Lack of walkable suburbs do no make kids fat. Lazy kids and irresponsible parents are a result of that.

The only reasonable explanation is number 2 and it didn't take years of studies and tons of money to establish a conclusion of something that has been blatantly obvious from the start.

The only reason number 2 is not accepted as fact is because... people have lazy kids and they are irresponsible parents that are unwilling to accept such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies