Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
...Many Americans on both sides had no idea what a teabagger was before the Tea Party was born....
If you're talking about people born BEFORE 1980, if you're talking about heterosexuals who know little to nothing about gays, and if you're talking about a bunch of uptight stiffs who don't get too much into other, modern cutlural refernces and practices, then yes, many Americans had no idea what a teabagger was....

Last edited by JJG; 08-14-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
When most of the movement is angry white men saying "I want my country back!", you know they're angry because of diminishing demographic power.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Thanks for making my point. name call and act like a grammer school child all you want. even on a public forum you openly say things like this and think you are so kool and smart. show your intellegent post to your family and friends to prove how superior you are. bet you make them proud huh
They would laugh and agree with me. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
When most of the movement is angry white men saying "I want my country back!", you know they're angry because of diminishing demographic power.
Well, Democrats and liberals were saying they wanted to "take our country back" while Bush was President, so the phrase isn't limited to angry white men. I don't like it when any group uses it. No one group "owns" the United States. It belongs to all of us. When someone says they want to "take back" the country, I think, "From whom? The majority?" I hate to break the news to them, but it doesn't work that way.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If you're talking about people born BEFORE 1988, if you're talking about heterosexuals who know little to nothing about gays, and if you're talking about a bunch of uptight stiffs who don't get too much into other, modern cutlural refernces and practices, then yes, many Americans had no idea what a teabagger was....
Thats most of America. we aint dead yet young en

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
No, actually tea partiers are the ones who willingly drove our country to the brink of default which resulted in a lowering of our credit rating, and almost single-handedly ruined the credibility of this countries' political system (which was broken to begin with) and turned us into a worldwide joke.

Tea partiers are THE #1 problem. Not saying Dems or GOP members haven't caused serious issues themselves. But unfortunately, we see that a loud minority has proven they can control the entire direction of the nations' politics for the worse.
How can a loud minority control the entire direction of the nation's politics? Somehow I wonder how you left handers come to that conclusion unless you really don't know what the score is.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Thats most of America. we aint dead yet young en
Young en?

Look, I'm just saying there's a reason why people laugh at the terms "Teabag" and "Teabaggers". And it has nothing to do with politics. If you're gonna go with this movement of yours, then come up with something else. I don't think the original tea party comes into play for these modern times.

Those of us who do not want to be part of your movement aren't a bunch of liberal, anti-American tree hugger commies. We don't want to kill the government and we don't want it to be THAT much smaller. We want it to be BETTER.

And this doesn't apply to ALL tea party members, but I know there are some who actually want this administration to fail, rather than just get better. Those who WANT this administration or any administration to fail is begging for us all to fail...

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How can a loud minority control the entire direction of the nation's politics? Somehow I wonder how you left handers come to that conclusion unless you really don't know what the score is.
How can a loud minority stop 80% of legislation in the Senate from ever passing? And yet, they did it for the past 3 years.

Tea Partiers may be a minority in Congress, but they still have enough members to swing tightly divided votes in Congress one way or the other as we saw with Boehners bill, when he originally only needed a few more votes, and the Tea Party was holding up the whole process, since they were the only ones unwilling to negotiate.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How can a loud minority stop 80% of legislation in the Senate from ever passing? And yet, they did it for the past 3 years.

Tea Partiers may be a minority in Congress, but they still have enough members to swing tightly divided votes in Congress one way or the other as we saw with Boehners bill, when he originally only needed a few more votes, and the Tea Party was holding up the whole process, since they were the only ones unwilling to negotiate.
A few problems with this;

The majority of TEA Party officials have not even been in office for 3yrs.

An unwillingness to completely cave to the demands of Democrats does not constitute an unwillingness to negotiate.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Young en?

Look, I'm just saying there's a reason why people laugh at the terms "Teabag" and "Teabaggers". And it has nothing to do with politics. If you're gonna go with this movement of yours, then come up with something else. I don't think the original tea party comes into play for these modern times.

Those of us who do not want to be part of your movement aren't a bunch of liberal, anti-American tree hugger commies. We don't want to kill the government and we don't want it to be THAT much smaller. We want it to be BETTER.

And this doesn't apply to ALL tea party members, but I know there are some who actually want this administration to fail, rather than just get better. Those who WANT this administration or any administration to fail is begging for us all to fail...
most of your post is on and well said Thankyou.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Well, to the OP,

We'll see....I think it largely rides on Obama, if he regains traction, he will get reelected and bring in new blood on his coat tails and diminish, but not remove the TP. If he fails, and we get Perry, well let's just say every afternoon will be tea time for the next few years. The TP types know this, that is why they are so dead set of undermining Obama.

The most interesting scenario is the independents. I know they are mad at Obama, and think he has been blowing it. but that is not to say they like the TP. I really kind of doubt they are going to go from Obama to Perry or Bachmann and the TP gang. But I could be wrong. The TP could win independents, but they would have to rein in the scorched earth tactics of the last few months, and show a bipartisan approach to deficit reduction. Kind of out of character, from what I have seen so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies